ideas on adding rod storage on 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flukenewsty

Reaction score
I have the toe rails on my 1801 which takes away 2 rod holder along the gunnell. I normally carry 4-6 rods and have to either lay them on the deck or keep them in the rod holder while fishing. I was thinking of adding a few on the console door, anyone try this or have any other ideas??

I had rod holders on either side of the console of my Dusky which worked out really well.
You can just see the tops of the rod holders in this photo.

Image-9BC0D88A7C3C11D7.jpg

That, along with the rod holders in the washboards and the leaning post allowed me to carry 15 rods, which was way more than I needed. :D

Crikey...that's some nice lawn grass there...

36_1_55.gif

Boat's not bad, either.

hakr":37ynftub said:
Crikey...that's some nice lawn grass there...

Boat's not bad, either.

Unlike many of my neighbors, I'm fortunate to have shade trees which keep the lawn from getting toasted every year. :)

I wish I still had that boat. It would go into places that my 2520 cannot go.
And... it is also the only 17' deep vee that could tame the Chessie waters and come home in one piece.
But... if you can only have one boat, a Parker 2520 is the one to have. 8)

Until getting my 23 SE six years ago, I never owned a boat longer than 17'. I had to develop some devious storage techniques to keep from tripping over gear. One of my favorite low-cost techniques for adding rod holders is to find the largest cooler that is reasonably portable and bolt a 3-slot plastic rod holder to the front.

The rod-holder/cooler that I have used for more than a decade is an Igloo 48-qt model (shown in green in the 2nd photo). I use it to bring drinks, food, and other odds and ends to my boat on each trip. Even though I have a rocket launcher on the leaning post of my Parker, I always use the rod holders on the cooler first because they don't block any of the cockpit walking room.

When I purchased my Parker, and had more space for large coolers, I added a 124-qt Igloo tied in across the bow area for dry storage and seating. I bolted two single rod holders side-by-side on the left edge of the cooler.

These rod holders are not sturdy or secure enough for trolling heavy tackle, but if you are just looking for rod storage, give them some thought. They involve no drilling into your boat.

Attachments

• IMGP1091.JPG
    IMGP1091.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 927
  • Resize%20of%20IMGP1395[1].JPG
    Resize%20of%20IMGP1395[1].JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 926
I have an 1801CC Parker . I purchased 4 extra rod holders like the ones that come standard for under gunwale rod storage. By removing the two on each side that came with the boat and pushing them so the "feet " of each rod holder touch the next, you can get 4 (vs 2) on each side.
That will give you under gunwale storage for 8 rods . I then added vertical rod rack on each side of the console that will store 3 rods on each side of the console. That makes a total of 6+8 = 14 plus the 4 on the back of my leaning post for a total of 18 rods. WAY MORE than practical to carry or use on an 18ft boat. I typically keep my rods under the gunwale and only store one or two that I am actually using at the time vertically.

If you have a chance when the season gets going can you post a picture of that set up?

Thanks

If you have a T-top you can mount them up there, I prefered that location to prevent the rods from being kicked and/or broken.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 685
Back