I'm unhappy with my 'new' Yamaha 4-Stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelhookedup

Reaction score
Hi Folks, Its been some time since I have been on the Forum. I have a situation with my 2009 Yamah F-200 on my 2320 that I am going to keep you posted on. I was out on the Lake Sunday and started to travel up the lake when my motor lost power and sounded like my kids playing with pots and pans :eek: . I shut it down and made my way back to the dock with my Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust Kicker. The 200 only has 100 hours on it and has been taken care of big time. Well just got the word from the Yamaha repair shop that it has a cracked crank. (crap) They also said they had to send photos to Yamaha so they could decide what they were going to do. It is still under warrant till Jan of 2012. I was just wondering if any one else has gone threw this situation and how you made out? Thanks Sean

I dont but check with Andy at SIM.

Our motor was repaired for a drive shaft seal leak along with several other major parts replaced due to corrosion. It seems to be well known issue when you search the net and Yamaha does not accept responsbility for using flawed components or substandard materials. Food for thought if I repower later and buy another boat with a Yamaha motor installed. The mechanic in Ft Meyers, FL sees it often enough to stock most of the parts! It still burns my biscuits over the lack of acknowledgement from Yamaha more than the repair bill. The mechanic contacted Yamaha for a parts discounts but no avail.
It makes me wonder if there has been a cutback in customer service or change in management to reduce head count and operating costs.
stepping off my soapbox

Just an update. I contacted the dealer in CT where I purchased the boat he aslo contacted Yamaha along with dealer in Ny who is working with me on the boat. Both dealers show me in the computer with a three year warranty and neither one spoke to Yamaha about my charter buisness. So this after noon I get a call from the head of customer service from Yamaha who informs me they will not cover any parts or labor, due to the fact I have a charter buisness. He also stated they found that I had a captains Lic and a web-site so thats how they discovered my commercial use. He didn't just give this info up but after talking him in circles it came out. So they went out of the way to do an investigation to screw me. I got the official download of hours 109 on the boat. I explained to the guy if you average out the months I had it on the water since 2009 it is 6.4 hours total use of that motor a month. His words (ya and that was some commercial use you are out of warranty). It was so obvious that he knew he was working me over and he was proud of it. I had a long talk with owner of the marina in NY who is going to make some more calls for me in morning to Yamaha. Like he said with the growing list of damaged parts a new power head would be my best bet in the long run. (Big$$) What pisses me off the most is if I had known about the commercial use warranty loop hole I would of purchased an extended warranty prior to the one year mark. Just goes to show you what you are dealing with now days. Thanks Sean

Try and find out the name and phone number of your regional Yamaha territory rep. One of your dealers will have it.

Bug the heck out of him. Let him know you are not going away.

Consider your states department of consumer affairs as a resource too.

Start a post on THT in the general Section and in your region entiled "I'm unhappy with my new yamaha 4 stroke"

Its all about getting under the right persons skin.

Unfortunately, they can stick the the term of their agreement.

I think publicizing this on forums is your best bet. The hours on your motor to not denote extreme "commercial" use - at all. Those hours are lower than most recreational users.

Thehulltruth, Noreast, BloodyDecks, etc.....

I am really sorry about this - what a disaster.

WOW WILL REALLY TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN I AM READY TO REPOWER, VERY DISAPPOINTING NEWS

What a horrible situation! Never mind the hours, which are admittedly low, how about the part that failed? Has anyone hear ever heard of a new(er) crankshaft exploding? Not me! I've heard of OBs > 20 years old sending various parts into orbit, but never a newer model.

IMHO they're screwing you! More evidence to me that Yamaha will not be my next motor. Not so much as their loss ... but my gain.

Garmin screwed me years ago and I've never forgotten it and never have nor will buy anything from them. (LCD screen burnt out on 1st generation colored unit 1-month out of warranty and the cost to repair was almost = the cost to buy. I complained ... they told me to "keep it out of the sun". First off, it was a GPS on my dash INSIDE the helm cabin, was not directly exposed to the sun, and it ventured home with me every trip & kept in a Pelican foam-lined box, so it wasn't exposed to the heat of the cabin when not in use. Further ... it was a freakin' GPS sold to be used on a boat ... like on a center console ... but to "keep it out of the sun" :?: ?? Ayyyhhhhhhaaaaaaa :roll: !

Thats bad play on Yamaha's part.

I could see if the engine had 3000 plus hours on a charter boat but the hours should prevail.

Blood sucking lawyers getting them off on a technicality, between hearing this and the exhaust corrosion stuff, not impressed with them lately.

Too bad Parker has married them self to this brand.

Just get their denial of coverage in writing and take them to court.
They'll pay then.

Capt Brian

If I ever start a charter business and buy a new motor, I'll have to remember this. I know the other manuf. do the same thing.

There has to be a way around this. Perhaps have a wife buy the motor or something.

I'm having a little trouble understanding why you are so upset with Yamaha over this, other than the obvious cost to you. But, the terms of the warranty are pretty clear about commercial use. They are only obligated to live up to the warranty agreement. I'm sorry for your financial loss, but I don't see where Yamaha is responsible. Anything you end up getting from them is only for customer relations and not legally required IMO.
Dave

Burtona":1ktptbxh said:
I'm having a little trouble understanding why you are so upset with Yamaha over this, other than the obvious cost to you. But, the terms of the warranty are pretty clear about commercial use. They are only obligated to live up to the warranty agreement. I'm sorry for your financial loss, but I don't see where Yamaha is responsible. Anything you end up getting from them is only for customer relations and not legally required IMO.
Dave

How explicit is the denial of warranty for commercial use? I would have a legal guy read the fine print.

Are there other charter guys on the forum who have a work around for this issue?
It's hard for me to believe that all charter boats have no engine warranties under any circumstances.

Also, not for nothing, warranty law is VERY intricate and the law leaves very little room for manufacturer/dealer disclaimer. To disclaim an entire warranty, under Uniform Sales Code, it has to explicit.

Having a lawyer look at the actual warranty is your best bet.

Burtona":2dyhdf1j said:
Dave

Hi Dave, I understand your view and the warranty. The problem I have is the 100 hours of use and the lack of them to stand behind a product. It is part my fault I purchased the boat and told the dealer what I planed on doing with it. He said ok put me in computer for three year warranty, I got the warranty card in mail that said I was good till Jan 2012. I didn't read the back of the manual nd see the commercial use part of warranty. If I would have I probably could of purchased an extended warranty prior to one year mark. I have a new power head on the way that I purchased and should have it going in two weeks. I can't have a parker with no motor. Wife said I could put it in lawn and plant flowers in it. :lol:

When I thought about re-powering if the repair bill was too high for the oil leak and exhaust corrosion issues. I looked at Suzuki and here is their warranty.

The warranty clock starts when a customer purchases a Suzuki Outboard Motor and the dealer retail registers the unit. It makes no difference when the engine was manufactured. The standard warranty for a new Suzuki outboard is as follows: 3 Year limited warranty for Non-commercial use. 1 year limited warranty for either Commercial use or Rental use. (Please note: Non-commercial users have the option to purchase Suzuki’s 3 year Extended Protection Plan, for a total of 6 years of protection)

Harpoon":3vjef3u8 said:
Try and find out the name and phone number of your regional Yamaha territory rep. One of your dealers will have it.

Bug the heck out of him. Let him know you are not going away.

Consider your states department of consumer affairs as a resource too.

Start a post on THT in the general Section and in your region entiled "I'm unhappy with my new yamaha 4 stroke"

Its all about getting under the right persons skin.

Good Idea, I should of used that title in first place. Thanks I will change it.

Information for thought:

Most State and Federal fishery management agencies do not consider "charter boats" to be "commercial". But the USCG does consider these groups to be the same.

Splitting hairs ...... I know.

You probably already considered this, but since you have your captains license and you use the boat commercialy, you can probably wright off a considarable portion of your repair bill on your 2011 tax return....here is some basic lingo I found....

"To use your boat as a six-pack charter with yourself as the skipper, you need to make sure that the IRS doesn't view yours as a hobby rather than a business. You need to make a genuine effort to make a profit, rather than just enough to cover your costs and get a free day out on the water.”

As a starting point, you'll need to get your U.S. Coast Guard license allowing you to skipper up to six guests aboard your boat.

Once in business, you'll be able to write off the depreciation, maintenance, equipment, fuel and mooring costs. Kidd recommends using the purchase price of your boat as a base for a seven-year (or longer) straight line depreciation schedule. You'll also need to keep detailed records of every expense as well as the amount of income. To keep clear of IRS “hobby-loss” rules, he suggests that you aim to make a profit in at least three out of every five years.

Since you probably won't want to devote full use of your boat to chartering, you'll only be able to deduct the expenses for the percentage of time actually used in business. For example, if you charter 20 percent of the time you operate your boat, you can deduct 20 percent of the expenses. The exception is that equipment used purely for chartering, which is then fully deductible.

Back