IN HUll Transducers on Parkers....do they work???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InshoreTroll

Reaction score
I currently own a 23' Parker DV SC outfitted with Furuno Depth/FishFinder Model 600L. I want to replace the transom transducer with an in hull transducer. Im struggling to decide if this is the right decision...not to mention frustrated. Id rather not cut a hole in the boat for a thru hull bc its an older model and will upgrade in a couple of yrs. Ive been told that if the hull is >1/2 in thick...the in hull will not work properly. Anybody have any input on this issue bc I need to figure it out. Thanks, JZ

I have a shoot thru in a 23 dvcc and it works great at all speeds. In fact, it is the best transducer I have ever had. The only downfall is the lack of temp data.

Jake

I was looking at the 520 IHO which is the same as the P79....Thanks for your replies. How does it perform??? I mainly tog, striper, and bluefin out to 40 miles. Does it show bait/fish schools and bottom contour(wrecks/reefs) well??? Any suggestions on mounting this unit??? Thanks guys, JZ
Btw this is my first post...Im a noob. I just bought the Parker last Nov. and love it. Its my first boat ever and am loving it like Ive owned 10 of them. Looking foward to sharing info and stories with u guys. JZ Forgot to add if you want temps you can add this unit onto your transom...Furuno ST-01PTB for less than $60.

I installed the B60 thru hull in my MV. Easy install, great image. There is no reason to fear installing the thru hull.

InshoreTroll,
A shoot thru hull transducer will serve you well. I have a 23' DV Center Console as well. I mounted a Airmar P79 'ducer to the right (starboard) of the bilge pump in the bilge. Easy to install and easy to run the wires to the console. I did later on go back and mount a speed/temp sensor on the transom. As much as I hated to drill a hole in the transom I did it anway.
Search this forum, someone just recently posted a picture of their transducer install in bilge.

Attachments

• Resized record hog 1.JPG
    Resized record hog 1.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,100
I have the 2120 SC with 2 shoot through the hull transducers...one for a digital depth gauge and the other for a color fish finder. They are at different frequencies and work great with no loss of signal at all speeds.

Ray

I have the Airmar 'tilted element' in-hull transducer hooked to a Furuno FCV600L.

Image-DD7D6FE00D5C11DC.jpg

Impressive performance, and it never looses bottom, even at WOT.
It includes a temperature sensor which is also quite accurate.
I can personally recommend this transducer. :)

Mega...Im just looking for a in hull (shoot through) style transducer. Did u consider this option??? Do u like this furuno unit as well???...I troll inshore alot for stripers, wrecks for togs, and bluefin out to 40 miles. Thanks, JZ

I own a 2530 and had a shoot thru (garmin) that did not work well 100% of the time. garmin took a look at the hull after concluding the installation was fine and determined the hull was not compatable. I have a thru hull on order for this season. I hate adding another hole but sorry I didn't just bite the bullet at the get-go......

Frank S.":rm5yfegp said:
I own a 2530 and had a shoot thru (garmin) that did not work well 100% of the time. garmin took a look at the hull after concluding the installation was fine and determined the hull was not compatable. I have a thru hull on order for this season. I hate adding another hole but sorry I didn't just bite the bullet at the get-go......

Since you're uncomfortable adding another hole in the boat, you should find out if there is anyway to use the P79 with your Garmin. Airmar makes a few different adaptors for it.

InshoreTroll":cdwauewv said:
Im just looking for a in hull (shoot through) style transducer. Did u consider this option??? Do u like this furuno unit as well???

I did consider a shoot-thru, but I wanted to have water temperature, which the shoot-thru does not offer.

The FCV600L is an icon among bottom machines, but if I were to buy another bottom machine today, I'd probably opt for the newer technology Furuno FCV620 digital model. It has gotten excellent reviews.

Regarding the original questions and skipping bias since I have two transom mount fishfinders and a digital display in hull transducer, you are OK mounting one in hull.

My in hull transucer is on average the most reliable. There are a few times based on what is under the hull where it isn't the accurate one but it is has the highest time that it works of the three.

I just have the simple Uniden digital display 1-200 feet, 22 kHz.

There is no issue with the hull bottom.

Dana

I've got an m260 mounted in a tank on my 2510. It works great.

I get temp and speed from an airmar accessory that mounts on the transom. It plugs into the DS module via a Y cable (the m260 plugs into the other leg).

So I still get temp and speed along with depth.

Hey guys...Im really lost here...My marine tech isnt offering any help...Ive talked to furuno repts...other salesman...Its slpit 50-50. Some say its a waste of time to use the in hull transducer on my Furuno FCV 600L bc it is a 350 watt unit. They commented that it will not transmit better than the transom ducer.
Others say they use them on theirs and that it works great even with a lower watt unit. I dont know what to do just go with the P79(inhull) or suck it up and get the hole in the boat with the thru hull. I dont have the finances to really do the thru hull and i dont not feel comfortable doing it myself. Anybody know the wattage of their units compared to my 600L??

True.
The 600L is a low end Furuno sounder @ only 350 watts.
You could pair it with a 1000w shoot thru, but still it's only working on 350 watts.
Not sure the % , but you will loose some shooting thru.

I have a 300 watt fishfinder from 1997 on the transom and a 500 watt from two years ago.

I have the cheap Uniden epoxied in the hull for digital depth display. I don't know the wattage but it works fine does work to its rated depth of 200 feet.

It's easier to mount it in the hull and if you don't like it then you can move it or cut a hole.

Dana

I've had two. One on my 21se and now on my 23se. I like them, but the sounder does freak out every so often, and thinks it is to shallow or to deep. I guess because it looses bottom. It is very occasional, and it works great 99% of the time. :D

Back