In Hull Transducers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddahB

Reaction score
Are the Parker Hulls specifically in the aft bilge suitable for mounting "in hull" transducers such as the Airmar M260? Do I have to worry about spacing in the hull design etc. Any help here is appreciated. I'm attaching a basic picture of what area I was thinking of. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dual-bilgepumps.jpg
    dual-bilgepumps.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 688
Oh no, we get to see Megabytes bilge yet again!!!! :D :D :D

Megabyte has a good picture of just what you are asking, I'm sure he'll chime in, (he likes to show off his clean bilge). :lol:

Tough crowd... :D

The area to the left of your bilge pumps is the perfect spot for your through-hull transducer.

Image-DD7D6FE00D5C11DC.jpg

Megabyte, I noticed yours is a thru hull transducer. I was referring to the rather large "shoot thru the hull type" which requires on certain types of hull designs. Ones without air gaps etc... Thanks in advance.

BuddahB":2ljup1yl said:
Megabyte, I noticed yours is a thru hull transducer. I was referring to the rather large "shoot thru the hull type" which requires on certain types of hull designs. Ones without air gaps etc... Thanks in advance.

BuddahB, I went round and round with this and after talking to several people who really know this stuff and reading the install instructions on the m260, which I was considering, I decided to go with the through hull airmar b-60/20deg. Here's why:

1) When I bought my fish finder I spoke to Jim at BOE at length about transducers. He told me that even though the Parker hull does not present any problems with air, wood, coring etc., you STILL are shooting through fiberglass and through the liquid in the tank. At the time, I didn't want to drill any :shock: holes :shock: in my hull (especially below the waterline). Several other captains, whose opinions I respect, agreed with Jim. so I went with the transom mount.

2) If you read the instructions on the m260, the tank must match the deadrise angle, so you may have to cut the tank to match. On the 2520 our deadrise is 16 deg. So, it's not a lot, but having to level and measure and cut is a lot tricker than just drilling a hole in the bottom and inserting the transducer. To adjust for angle on the b60, you just point the arrow on the top of the transducer, towards the keel. Less chance of screwing up the install.

As far as the cone width, I mostly fish in waters UNDER 100ft. and the area captured (at 50khz) is better on the b60 than the m260.

I'm finally over the shock of cutting into my boat and besides, I got grouper jim (sans sawz all) to help me with the install. Actually, I will be helping him.

If you're wondering why I'm replacing the transom mount.... I lost it on a pitch black night run. :x Ran over something and took it out.

Cost of b60/20 at BOE $221.
Getting the job done in a fraction of the time with less chance for errors...
Priceless....

In reading the airmar site, they do make a shoot thru that does NOT have to be cut to fit. It angles in the same way as the b60. Turn the dial at the top towards the keel. It's model P79. Main difference is that the P79 is a 600w and the m260 is 1kw. Both have optional temp readers etc.,

BuddahB":25ztaxvf said:

Oops! Sorry.
Shoot-thru would go in the same location.

I have a GARMIN 200/50 KHZ 12/45 DEG. IN-HULL 010-10327-00 Airmar Model #P79 Brand new in the box. $65.00 plus s/h/i

I have a 2120 SC and mounted two airmar shoot through the hull transducers one for a digital depth finder and one for a depth recorder. Had to make sure the two were of different frequencies so that they didn't interfer with each other. They work great even at wide open speeds with no loss of signals. The transome mount I used to have would loose signal about 75% of the time once the boat was on plane.

I mounted them on the V to one side of the flat section that the bilge pump is on. Do not mount the transducer on that flat section as there is a space between it and the hull and the transducer can't shoot through a void. ( Parker uses a flat piece of plywood that is covered with glass for the flat section. Mine had a poor glass job that allowed water to enter which startered to ooze out the sides. I removed part of the wood and the void was clearly visable.) The airmar transducer has an adjustable flange that will adjust to the V hull.

Ray

Shoot through transducers are OK on Parkers. Solid hull.

I've had one for about 7 years now just to a digital display, versus full fishfinder/GPS on transom mount.

This is a bilge on a '96 2530 with I/O so it is on the front of the bilge, on a flat.

Cleaned the bilge at the time, had it dry, mixed the epoxy, put down the transducer and put some weight on it for awhile.

Is just a simple Uniden, 200 kHz, 0-200' depth. Reads well shallow and blinks when too deep.

Two photos attached, one in close up.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC03171 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03171 (Medium).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC03173 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03173 (Medium).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 437
I have an airmar shoot through and it works great.
please dont mind the messy bilge.

Attachments

• ducer-cut-out.jpg
    ducer-cut-out.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 426
Back