input on repowering 18

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammered

Reaction score
I have a 1988 18 foot with a 110 johnson.Was wondering if anyone has repowered with a Honda and if so which horsepower.My only concern is the extra weight.

Of all the 4-stroke outboards out there, Hondas are some of the heaviest, though they do give good service.
Factory rigged 18's generally come with the Yamaha F115, with the F150 as an option.

Since you will need to swap out the helm gages and controls from the Johnson anyway, your options are wide open.
Take a look at the advertised weights for all of the brands and get quotes for pricing (with controls) and installation, and vote with your wallet.
Decide on who will be doing your service after the install and go talk with them.
Honestly, there really aren't any bad 2 and 4-stroke outboards out there these days, just choices.

If you have any question about transom weight, give the factory a call.
They are very helpful suggesting re-power options on their older hulls.

Good luck!

DFI two strokes give the best power to weight ratio.

However if you wanted a 4 stoke, weight-wise the zuke 140 would be perfect. It is lighter than all the 150's and the same block as the 115 but pumps out a bit more power.

I would take a real close look at the 130 HP. E-TEC Evinrude. Less weight than the 115 HP 4-stroke Yamaha and mooch-o more power and top-end......

my question was has anybody repowered a older 18 foot parker not suggestions on motor choices.I want to go with a 4 stroke .Also do the newer ones have a 25 or 20 inch transom .

hammered":3jt0zyi2 said:
my question was has anybody repowered a older 18 foot parker not suggestions on motor choices.I want to go with a 4 stroke .Also do the newer ones have a 25 or 20 inch transom .

The best answer you can get would be to call the factory.
They built it back in 1988 and they would be the best people to advise you.

Phone: 252-728-5621

Let us know what they tell you.

I just bought a 1997 1800. I too am going to replace the yamaha 115 that is on it now.

hammered":euqw3fhq said:

Keep in mind, the older 1800's have a different hull than the newer ones. You definitely have the older one. Its a shallower hull, with a deeper cut in the transom. So you can't always value the experiences of someone with a newer hull.

I chickened out on a four-stroke, and repowered with a Yamaha 90, almost identical to the original one I had. Runs great, but of course it burns lots of fuel.

my 2 cents , look to sell yours cheap and buy/trade up i have seen 18' boats later models going cheap 12k ......how much will it cost you to repower with all ?? 8- 9 K???

type in google 130 hp etec.....they start at 9350.....

crazy u can buy a 2004 or 06 boat w a 4x for 12-16K(at least i have seen em here going that cheap)

or better yet look here :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9332&start=0

Found out today the new 18 is the same hull as mine.The only difference is the transom height ,fuel tank and gunnels.That came from Parkers engineer.

Going to look at motors now.I would rather have my boat with a new motor and warranty than another used boat and motor with no warranty.My hull is solid as new and shines like new.

At the risk of giving you more engine suggestions, let me just say that (IMHO) the Yamaha F115 will leave you wanting more. Love my 1801, but REALLY wish it had more get up and go.

I have a 2000 1801 and I recently repowered from a 115 Yamaha to a Evinrude 130 E-tec. I gives me more speed and my gas mileage is out of this world. I like you wanted to go to a Honda but I went with the Etec because my dealer is great and stands behind his products. My boat runs a whole lot better with the repower plus I got a 5 year warranty and with the savings with gas I can make the motor pay for itself over five years. You may like the Honda better just my experience with the repower and wished I did it sooner.

Had an etec and loved it too.......but do the math on the oil consumption bet gallon and if u r using the proper evinrude x50 or 100 at 40 or 50 a gallon u end up on the wrong end ..unless it changes on smaller boats......STILL it is an awesome motor

Rock On! said:
I have a 2000 1801 and I recently repowered from a 115 Yamaha to a Evinrude 130 E-tec. and my gas mileage is out of this world.

Rock On I can just imagine the improved hole shot ,speed ,and gas milage you got with the 130 E-Tec,I am jealous. The 115 4stroke Yammy does leave alot to be desired, and going to a 150 Yam would be adding too much weight to the transom... You made a wise choice.

Not IMHO... I would think that'd be the ideal engine. I have a 115 Yamaha...and it ain't cuttin' it. Are you repowering (already own the boat?). If not, I would strongly suggest you consider another boat. I purchased my 1801 based on Parker's reputation and not on a test drive (also on price, as I stole it during the depths of the recession)... just so you'll know: The 1801 is without a doubt the wettest boat I have ever owned. Yes it is strong and large for an 18...but you will get wet in a one-foot chop with the slightest of breeze. Any more weather than that and I suggest you pack a snorkel.

I also got my boat for a steal and its absolutely mint. It is a wet boat and mine came without a windshield which i am still looking for. I feel like the boat is kind of a stepping stone but it sure beats the ride of a 17 foot whaler. I am thinks bob machine shop jack plate and a 150 etec. i would like to cruise at 30 knots all day long my hull loves it.

Understand completely... I too, "stole" my 1801...and I too, will probably renew my boat search in a year or two. Good luck!

Back