Installing Speakers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeFlies

Reaction score
I've been reading about different ways to install speakers on my new 23SE. It looks like I can either install them on the sides of the console or under the gunnels. I was wondering what the consensus is on the board? I don't have a T-top or casting platform, so these two options seem to be the best. If I should install them under the gunnel ("Box" speakers), where along the gunnel is best? Thanks for the feedback.

this is what I did and the FishPimp thumps!
are you adding an amp?

Attachments

• bowjlaudio.JPG
    bowjlaudio.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,805
  • consolejlaudio.JPG
    consolejlaudio.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,805
I have an aversion to drilling/sawing holes in my boat, and electronics only give you a couple of years anyway. I use a low-profile boombox that fits in the electronics box alongside the VHF. Something like these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 7-792614-2

They are inexpensive, and when the salt water finally gets to them, they get tossed. My next one will probably have an iPOD connector for it on top of the AM/FM radio.

Dave

aka

Nice speaker installation for stereo.
I want to install good external speaker for my VHF. I have a cheap, small external speaker now that I got at West Marine but its JUNK!!
Can I use a good stereo type speaker and hook it to my VHF ? .
My concern is that the radio does not put out enough power to
power a regular external speaker. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I have my VHF mounted inside my console (behind the sliding door) on my
1801 Parker. It difficult to hear the radio even when the motor is not running and its impossible to hear anything when running. The location is part of the problem but the built in speaker in the radio does not put out a quality sound either.

fishpimp,

I'm instaling this Jensen stereo with Polly Planner speakers. Where are your controls mounted for the stereo? I was planning on mounting the control panel just above the sterring wheel, across from the top gauge (to the left/flush mounted). Is there a better place? Thanks.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/jensen.html

TF,
I looked at jensen stuff and was told it doesnt last for beans.
Which is why I went with the clarion.
I got it from south west florida navigation on THT. Mike was really helpfull with the entire system.
I hope these pics help.
I didnt go with a subwoofer because the console chamber gives it enough ooomph. And I am a rocker so I like my mids and highs, more than todays hip hop rap nonsensical bass until your fillings fall out. Miles sounds as great on the drift as does AC/DC's Hells Bells leaving the ramp.

Attachments

• cmd5a.JPG
    cmd5a.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 3,705
  • Amp.JPG
    Amp.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,706
  • stereo remote.jpg
    stereo remote.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,704
Thanks FishPimp for the pics. The Jensen system I bought (BOE recommended, so if I do have trouble I'm sure Jim will take care of it) only has a head unit so I guess I'll flush mount it like your remote. I think I'm going to try a pair of Polly Planner under gunnel speakers instead of cutting large holes in the console and/or liner. If anyone has any gunnel type installed (for a 23SE), where did you put them? Forward of console, aft of console or mid-ship? Thanks.

Poly planer makes those under gunnel speakers. I thought about them myself but went with the JL Audio instead.(I had a good month when I bought my stereo)
Doesnt jensen make a remote?
Jim is awesome. He stands behind his gear 110%.

FPimp, Jensen says the faceplate is waterproof, so I figured it wouldn't make sense to install it in the console E-box (I don't have a T-top) only a foot away from a remote (they do have one, scroll down to the bottom, right side of web page). Maybe I'm wrong and I should intstall the faceplate in the e-box and flush mount the remote (like you did). It looks like your faceplate is mounted in the T-top electronics box? Please advise if I should get the remote. Thanks.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/35285.html

my head unit is installed in the glove box right below the steering wheel.
real estate was/is at a premium on my helm. I need to save room for command link gauge or floscan and auto pilot, hence the puck. It's has smaller a footprint.

Thanks for the help. I did notice the Clarion unit says "Watertight" not waterproof. My console looks like this one and I was going to mount the controls to the left of the top Yamaha gauge. Or maybe I should mount the control panel in the middle (on the back) of the e-box. I will have room, since I will only have a platter/sonar on the port side and a hanging VHF on the starboard side on the e-box (I will not have a second finder like in the pic). It might be hard to access the controls. Or maybe I can mount the unit on a piece of Starboard and use another "hanging" bracket so it will hang like my VHF.

boat5.jpg

TF,
either way will work.
my only suggestion is to make a template,dance with the placements and think it through before cutting or drilling anything.

Thanks for all of the help. I just ordered two pair of gunnel speakers. I can always cut holes later if they don't work out. This site is great!!!!

Back