Interesting survey results

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
In addition to being a loyal Classic Parker reader, I regularly read Tidalfish. Over the past few days, two separate Tidalfish posts asked readers about their preference in boats. The first thread, "Most popular hull on the chesapeake bay", has had 39 replies so far. Although many suggestions were made, Parker boats were mentioned frequently. At least 10 of the posts indicated that they thought the Parker was a very good boat or they would like to own one some day.

The second thread, "What is the best riding and fishing hull CC or Walkaround for the bay under $45000", started a day later. So far it has had 26 replies. Not a single person suggested a Parker.

This is an interesting set of replies. Apparently, the Parker brotherhood, at least those fishing in the Ches. Bay, are buying Parkers for some other reason than for the good ride and fishing ability.

As a final note, I have owned a variety of small power boats over more than 15 years. My 23SE is far and away the largest and best boat I have owned. The boat does everything I ask it do and will probably outlast me.

I actually see them as two different threads and believe in the second thread that people are focusing on ride. I find it funny when a Chesapeake Bay fisherman is concerned about ride most. How far do most of us run on a regular basis? for me 20miles is a long run. I would choose an open stable platform for the bay fishing of stripers, drum, croaker, etc. This is where parkers shine. They are no frills, tough, well made boats that offer about the most open design for fishing that you will find (in WA, CC and PH designs). I dont think Parkers are known for their chop or swell busting ride. However when making relatively short runs around here I dont think you gain much by going to the deep v contenders, albemarles, etc. When running 20 miles (a longer run for most bay fisherman) what do gain buy being able to run a little faster in the slop? Not much IMHO. The deep vs have to slow some too. Being that you can run these boats at an adequate speed for a decent ride makes the layout and design a lot more important. This is where Parkers shine.

I also believe that the $45k dollar limit limits the Parker recommendation in that thread as well. I dont think you can get a new 21SC for that now days. I know teh 21SE is going for over 40k at the chesapeakes dealer. Lets face it, Parkers quality and design have become even more popular in recent history around here and the law of supply and demand has driven up their prices at pretty good rate. when I bought my boat in 05 I was quoted under 50k for a 2320SL w/ f225 cockpit steering, tabs, electronics (lowrance), rocket launcher, bottom paint etc. I know that price cannot be touched today.

I have lived on the 'bay' all my life and have had a number of boats from a Bowman( made in the 50's) to my current 2120 SC. Included Gradywhte. Not to mention the numberous others I have riden. In my humble opinon there is not a more sea-worthy boat made. I am always amazed in its reliability. :!:

FishFactory":2itvt950 said:
Others buy a mod V to save money, are dis-satisified, and move to another brand, blaming Parker for the "bad ride".

I blame that "bad ride" on boat setup and bad driving skilz.

Set the boat up properly, put on a good set of tabs, then drive it at something less than WOT. :roll:

Lets face it, if more boat drivers learned to ease back on the throttle when the river/Bay/ocean got snotty, there wouldn't be people complaining about ride. It's a boat for chris' sake. It's not a hot rod.

Want to go fast? Buy a Regulator or Contender... get wet and pound your innards.
Want to be warm and dry when the river/Bay/ocean gets angry? Buy a Parker and learn to drive it.

Megabyte":36x7wgyv said:
FishFactory":36x7wgyv said:
Others buy a mod V to save money, are dis-satisified, and move to another brand, blaming Parker for the "bad ride".

Set the boat up properly. :roll:

Just out of curiosity, does the placement of which hole the engine is mounted to make much of a difference in terms of bow attitude?

He's getting pretty good at photo shopping pics. I'll have to go back and take a closer look at some of his fish pics.

jim

I started boating as a young adult and can remember not wanting to leave the inlet in my 18 ft Sea King, finally venturing out into the bay. Then we got a 21 GW Chesapeake and tested going into the ocean and even went 50 miles offshore (foolhardy). About five years ago I got a Parker and the capability of the hull gradually stopped being a consideration. I might worry about the motor and I might second guess my own capabilities and judgement, but I have no doubt that this hull will bring me home. The grandkids were in the boat before they could walk and they are fearless. Good, bad, I don't know. But they know a good boat from a bad one and have been on a lot of boats and I bet they would buy Parker.

I have run that inlet before, just ahead of a monster storm.
We docked right next to the bridge. Wrightsville Beach Marina, 17 April 2006...

Dang, did it blow that evening! :shock:

B-Faithful wrote:

Anone notice Fishfactory likes seeing Mercs on Parkers

True....but notice that not too many are on the stern !! Used as anchors or as a weight distribution, yes...stern use, NO :wink: :lol:

Mac

grouperjim":1dy6rh6g said:
gw is talking about the stock photo w/kids in the boat. get it. lame i know. we know that the kids would be safe because fish would really go for the "big ol black un" instead.....arrrhhhg, that's even more lame.

Hope I didn't upset anyone with my poor attempt at humor. If so, my apologies....

Back