Interior carpet

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
1995 2520. Just from age and wear and tear there are a few spots where my carpet in the cabin has lost its adhesion. Without tearing it all down what's my best method to get it to adhere back up?

You could try using a 3M spray adhesive with a spray attachment like used on WD-40? Poke a few small holes in the areas you are working on to get it behind the carpet. Also, you could cut the carpet in the area it's loose and let it flap down where you can spray it good with the adhesive then re-attach it. If you really want to make sure it holds, add a little supper glue.

Go to home depot and buy 3m in green can. Peel back to a good area and then spray liberally and push back in place. Make sure you are ventilated!

Those are contact cements, meaning you have to spray both surfaces, let them tack for 5 minutes or so, depending on temp and humidity, and position carefully and you stick together. There is no adjustment after they make contact, if the adhesive is ready. Pick a hot day with low humidity for the best results.
I think the 3M is labeled Spray 77, and Spray 90. S77 is more of a floral arrangement type spray, and can be pulled apart, and is therefore not a good application on a boat that is going to get hot inside in the summertime. S90 is more permanent, but as I said, sticks on contact and is not adjustable. If you have a flap, or a hanging piece, work from the middle to the edge.
You don't want to breath the vapors. Spray both sides, leave for ten minutes, and come back and stick together. Leave for the rest of the day.

Back