Is the Yamaha 115 adequate

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob M

Reaction score
Am looking at a 2006 1801 with bottom paint and a T Top. Will the 115 be adequate with the extra drag and weight? Anyone experienced with this setup?

My 2002 1801 has an F115. That setup was tested by Yamaha and reached 40 mph with 2 people and a full 60 gallons of gas. I've only achieved 36 mph with one person, 3/4 tank of gas, but two batteries. I was also using old gas from last fall, maybe had some bearing on it. The prop may also need some tuning, not sure. I have peeling bottom paint in spots and no T-top. Seems to get up on plane quickly enough. I like the nearly 6 mpg though at 4000 rpm with that motor.

I've got a 2006 with the F115 and have a t-top and the motor is fine.
I fish the chesapeake bay so I rarely have a chance to go wide open so
speed isn't really a factor....I would suggest trim tabs..

Thanks for the help. I sea trialed the boat last night and it planed fine with 2 people and low gas. GPS was not working but the Yamaha gauages showed us cruising around 27mph at about 4300 rpm. Its not a speedster but neither am I. Top speed was about 10 mph higher at 5300 rpm.

The boat pounded some in the wind driven chop as expected. We got a little wet a couple of times.

Would you consider this a particularly wet boat for an 18 ft boat?

I have an '07 1801, no T-top 'cause I like to fly fish. She is a pretty dry boat for her size. I fish the Chesapeake and its tributaries but have had her to the Chesapeake Light Tower. I love the fact that I get 5 mpg cruising at 30 mph. I highly recommend this platform for a bay and river boat that will get you there and back but won't bust your wallet.

BTW my 1801 does have the 115hp 4-stroke Yamaha so I can't speak for economy of the 2-stroke if thats what the boat you're looking at has.

Bob, I've only had my 1801 out on the water 4 times so far, 3 trips in the DE bay and once in the ocean last week. I think it is a VERY dry ride! I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. One of the bay trips was quite rough and the ocean trip this weekend had high seas and east winds. I am more impressed each time I put her to the test in those conditions. At no point did I feel unsafe in that boat. I think you will be pleased with that hull. According to Yamaha's performaqnce bulletin, that combo gets 5.82 mpg at the most optimum speed of 26 mph and 4000 rpm. This is the speed I've done for the majority of the 150 miles I've put on her. Seems to be very good on gas. Good Luck.

No offense intended to any who have lotsa horsepower on their boats, but these days, with gasoline approaching $4 a gallon, I think it makes more sense to power with the smallest outboard that gives you satisfactory results.

I had a 25-foot Parker with a 225 on Chesapeake Bay and performance was more than adequate. I cruised at around 27 mph with four aboard, burning just under 12 gph. At WOT, it would almost go 40 mph, but burned almost 20 gph.

Now I have a Parker 2100CC with an F150. I could have gotten up to 225 hp, but for what? Most of the time, the Bay has a hard chop and you can't go more than 20-25 mph with any sort of comfort. My boat will top out at 40 mph with three aboard, but I rarely run at more than 25-28 mph, and keep my fuel burn at about 6 gph.

I see no reason to hand over more of cash than I have to to the damned oil companies. :)

My boat with 2 adults and 2 children, full tank of gas, loaded with gear, big anchor, and big beer cooler has plenty of power with plenty reserve hp. No way do you need anything bigger than the 115 for the 1801. I've seen alot of posts about the larger parkers needing more HP. I can't speak for those boats but its definately not the case for the 18.

Bob M":1b8kb1xm said:
The boat pounded some in the wind driven chop as expected. We got a little wet a couple of times.

Would you consider this a particularly wet boat for an 18 ft boat?

I would not consider the 1801 a wet boat, but even my boat can be 'wet' when the winds and waves are not in my favor. :)

The 18 and 21 CC Parkers both benefit greatly from trim tabs.
Bennett M80 or M120 Sport Tabs are the preferred choices for that hull. :wink:

Thanks for all of the good information. I decided to go for it and purchased the 2006 1801 with f115 yamaha, Ttop, trimtabs, bottom paint, trailer, garminGPS/fishfinder and Icom radio. I picked it up Friday but spent all weekend sick with an intestinal virus that is appearently going around here in Savannah.
I think this is going to be a really versatile and economical ride. I can't wait to go fishing! Thanks again for the help!

I have a '07 1801 with t-top and have felt the power was a touch low. I'd be willing to bet that a set of tabs would help bring her up to plane much faster. Love the boat and at this point would not trade for any other model the same size.

Keauhou":2tw3nfa4 said:
I'd be willing to bet that a set of tabs would help bring her up to plane much faster.

Absolutely right!
Take a look at the Bennett M80 and M120 sports tabs. :wink:

Latest posts

Back