It's definitely not a Parker, but I have a new ride

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
As many of you know, I sold my trusty Parker 23 SE around Labor Day. After visiting the Annapolis boat show last weekend, my boating juices got flowing again. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and drove to Cobbs Creek, VA to pick up my new ride. Unlike the Parker, this boat has two motors, a full transom, and comes with a trailer.

But before your imagination gets too far carried away, let me share some other comparative statistics. The weight is about 9% of my Parker, the power is only 4% of the Yamaha HPDI I had on the Parker, and it holds only 5% as much gasoline. On the positive side, the boat cost only about 7% of what I paid for my Parker in 2002.

As you have probably guessed by now, I got a very small open boat. It is a 2000 Gheenoe Classic. At 15'6" and 250 lbs hull weight, it is not a boat to carry me all over the bay. It will be great for running in shallow and sheltered water in the Severn River and other nearby tidal bodies. The 8-hp motor should push the hull at 15-20 mph and will sip gasoline. I mentioned above that I now had two motors -- the previous owner included an electric trolling motor. I have never had a boat with a trolling motor before, but it should be fun playing around with it.

My very first power boat was a smaller Gheenoe, so I guess I have come full circle . Formerly Marylander, Capt. Frank Ciurca, now runs a guide service in Florida. I have fished twice with him on his larger center console boat. But he also uses a Gheenoe like mine for extremely skinny water fishing trips for a single angler. So it can be a serious fishing machine in the right setting.

This size and weight of boat is what I need at this point in my boating life. I look forward to many happy days on the water.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of IMGP3249.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3249.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 677
  • Resize of Resize of IMGP3250.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3250.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 677
  • Resize of Resize of IMGP3251.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3251.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 677
  • Resize of Resize of IMGP3252.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3252.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 677
  • Resize of Resize of IMGP3253.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3253.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 677
  • Resize of Resize of IMGP3254.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMGP3254.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 677
pelagic2530":ugiy5wtw said:
cool!!! i like the looks of her, bet that 8 will push her just fine!! fill a 5 gallon tank and youre good to go for a month. how stable is she? looks like she has a canoe-like length to beam ratio.

I have seen photos of many other anglers standing up in the boat for fishing and for running from spot to spot. They actually offer a poling platform as an option. Giving my height and weight, that would be too much for me, but I will certainly try standing to cast in sheltered waters.

thats awesome i saw one of those running around in West Palm area this past weekend. Looks like a canoe with his face pushed in. Curious how it handles any kind of wave from other boats? Still really cool and youre out on the water.

Nice ride John. :)
Add a GPS / Fishfinder combo and you'll be ready to stalk the Pickerel in the skinny water this winter. :wink:

Sweet ride John!
Looks like a drift boat canoe hybrid.
You will always be a member of the noble and limited 23SE crew

Back