Jasper remanufactured powerhead

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spdnby

Reaction score
Any one repower with a jasper re manufactured power head? If so, what was your experience?

Besides Jasper where can I buy a remanufactured power head for a year 2000 200 hp 2 stroke Yamaha HPDI?

I'm located in NJ

Does anyone have a hook-up?

I don't have any experience with that particular model. But in my work I have seen rebuilt Jasper long blocks, lower units, and sterndrives over the years. A few problems (as with anything) but mostly well done. I would take one on my boat.

And OBTW, "I'm in NJ" doesn't tell us much. Couldn't recommend a dealer without more info. Lots of water there. Not like the Chesapeake Bay mind you. But a lot of water. :>) Modify your profile to list a real location.

Understood.
The boat at the current time is on my trailer in Secaucus NJ near Giants stadium.
I slip it in Elizabeth NJ.
Basically North East New Jersey.

I have replaced a transmission on my diesel ram pick-up from Jasper and I thought it worked out pretty good.

How does one buy a rebuild or new?

Do I just have to call Yamaha?

http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/powerheads.htm

I have heard good things about these guys.

What exactly are you looking for? Short block, long block, fully dressed block?

They are mostly good engines, but depending on the damage I might be inclined to save the $$$ and bore/hone/sleeve (if that's what it needs). I have a 2001 150 HPDI and if I needed a block I would think long and hard before keeping a 15 year old engine running vice getting a new or newer low hour motor to replace it.

Are you doing the work or do you have a good mechanic? If a mechanic, what will they warranty?

Let me know what you find out on costs, it's always good to think about.

Brent you ask a lot of good questions and bring up good points.
I don't want to repair a 2000 15 year old engine.....bad enough boats are as expensive as they are but we all go into this knowing that at some time we got old stuff.
Ok
Ideally I would like a 225 4 stroke but it's insane how much they cost. I certainly don't want to drop 20gs on a 20 year old hull.

So if I went rebuild I would go long block.
I have done many engine swaps in cars transmissions rear ends and am very good mechanically. But I never removed and replaced a power head.
I do have the book though. I have a place tools and an engine hoist.

I may have to pay a marine mechanic just not sure yet....if I remove it myself I just may do it depending how hard it I s to come apart.......I'll keep you posted.

A local marine shop wants 6540.00 for a new powerhead $120 for a gasket kit and 12 hours labor. So we are talking at least 8 grand here.

I'm waiting on a another quote from a friends shop so I should get those figures soon.

Lastly I priced Etec 225 that came to about 22000 total. The 250 add another $1300.
Mercury opti $18000 total for the 225. $19,500 for the opti 250 hp. Total.
And the Verado forget about it....for the 250 it would have cost 26 thousand and the 225 hp I think 1500 less.

So there you have it.
I may take up a new spot called surf fishing......

Must be a Jersey thing.

My buddy towed from Pensacola to Central Fl. this year.

It was worth the tow..... Saved $6500 from local.

A NIB 2013 DF 250APX was installed for $18K out the door.

Fly-by-wire and NMEA 2000 gauge.

1 day turn around time.

Warthog is right, shop around. I would totally go with a zuke too.

Maybe think about swapping motors for a good used one. 4k for the HPDI a good deal? Part out yours/keep the good stuff.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/5112768553.html
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bpo/5087126974.html
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bpo/5112493222.html

Mercury reman inboards/sterndrives are an excellent value, maybe the outboards are too?
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/eng ... ufacturing

If you do replace the powerhead, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT CAUSED IT TO FAIL!!!

Make sure the problem does not transfer when you dress the long block!

I'm going to call the Baltimore one tomorrow. I'll keep u posted.

Great advice about the info finding out how it failed.
That used 200 fresh water looks good I could be on the water next week.

I put a 4.0 long block jasper in my jeep. Been ok for 65k miles so far. If it was me I would go for a used engine and save some cash. What model boat is it going on? Lots of used engines around.

Hello.
BradH posted some craigslist ads.
I called the Baltimore one.
Yesterday after work I drove to Maryland after stopping at the bank.
3 hours later I arrived to find an 01 HPDI transom mounted on a 21 foot cc Parker.
After speaker get with the 73 yo owner and waiting for his 47 yo son we pulled the plugs and hooked up the muffs. All 6 cylinders were between 108 and 120psi.
Engine looked real clean. Anodes were in good shape and there was zero corrosion except some minor paint chipping and pitting on the lower unit. Put plugs back in, hitched up and headed to the Susquehanna River at the mouth of the Chesapeake. Dunked the boat and she started right up doing the 2 step quiver that the 2 strokes I'm familiar with do.
After testing the outboard pretty good I decided to plunk down the cash. Next it was back on the trailer and brought to the shop and in an hour the engine was loaded onto my truck for the long ride back home. Today I removed my 2000 HPDI from my 2320 sport cabin notched transom and mounted this unit. Yesterday's deal included extra yamalube, power trim unit, remote oil tank and pump and harness, prop, lower unit and what looks like a nice red anodized sea star steering setup. Tomorrow I got to reinstall the lower unit. The "new" lower units waterpump looks old. Put the linkage, battery connections fuel and oil lines back up and reconnect all three electrical plugs and whatever other incidentals it needs. I can't wait to splash this with the new used engine as there's some unfinished business I have with the underwater slimy smelly fellas. I'm hoping to drop a line tomorrow and I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you again Mr. BradH for the effort and post. It helped me out tremendously!

So far so good.
Nice to be back.
The boat gained almost 4 mph topping out at 5200 rpm at 38 mph.
The original prop I had on the other engine was unmarked (stainless).
The prop with this set-up says 16H if I remember right. The prop blades have more pointed ears....
I installed the engine in the same lowest position on the transom.
I got pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks again BradH!

Back