Just Few things i need to know very important!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith FDNY

Reaction score
Well i am very close to getting a Parker just have few questions maybe some of you can help me on!!!When i go see this boat being new to this what do i need to ask in general? Just if anyone can give me few words of advice would help out alot!!! I hope this goes through cause i cant wait to be on the dam water fishing and hopefully running into a few of you at like a Parker Meet!!! I want to thank all that help me out here on this!!!

Keith FDNY":3b8bqdft said:
When i go see this boat being new to this what do i need to ask in general?

How many hours are on it?
Who did the service? Owner or dealer?
If the dealer, are there any receipts?
Would the owner be willing to let you have the boat surveyed by a licensed surveyor?
If yes, would the owner be comfortable having the sale made contingent on a favorable survey?

Beyond that, I'd look her over well to get a sense on how well the boat was cared for.
Look under the washboards. Is the area reasonably clean and free of mold? That will tell something about how well she was stored.
Look in the bilge. How is the condition of the wiring, and is the area reasonably clean?

If it's a CC model, look inside the console for the same tell-tale signs of care or neglect.
If it's a SC model, look inside the storage bins and under the cushions as well as in the anchor rode locker for the same...

Having said all that, you need to look at the boat, and not necessarily how she presents...

When I went to see the boat I own now, she was a filthy mess. She had an oil and water mess in the bilge (due to a leaking trim tab HPU), the cockpit deck was horribly stained by leave tannin, and the gelcoat was a dull lifeless mess.

However, except for some relatively minor repairs (and some not-so-minor upgrades), the filth was easily mitigated with industrial strength cleaners, gelcoat restorers, and sweat equity. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough if you can see past the stuff that is easily fix-able. :wink:

Good luck!

Well i am going to look at boat rite after New Years,From the Pictures owner sent me boat is mint condition and has 103hrs on the yamaha 150hp outboard 4-stroke,and it is a 2120 sport cabin!!!and it is from private owner,i will print up a check list here as people tell what to look for such as yourself and thank alot on the help!!!!

Take someone along with you! Usually another person without any emotion will be able to have an unbiased opinion. Go over the entire boat with a fine tooth comb and take lots of detailed pictures that can then be reviewed when you get home. Oh yeah, have fun.

Megabyte":3vwoi9d0 said:
Would the owner be willing to let you have the boat surveyed by a licensed surveyor?
If yes, would the owner be comfortable having the sale made contingent on a favorable survey?

If no, there's no need to ask any more questions. Walk away.

Parker":3kv9w43z said:
Take someone along with you! Usually another person without any emotion will be able to have an unbiased opinion. Go over the entire boat with a fine tooth comb and take lots of detailed pictures that can then be reviewed when you get home. Oh yeah, have fun.

Excellent advice, and something that I did when I went to look at mine.
I took the Admiral, my BIL, and my Dad so that we had more 'eyes' that were not emotionally involved.

Image-FC941C3AF78F11D7.jpg

Check the trim gauge on the motor, the ones on mine were frozen. That is really the only thing I got burned on. Other than that the normal stuff that everyone has been saying.

Also give all systems the once over, nav lights, pump, wash down, electronics, etc. All of those can become bargaining chips to bring the price down or have fixed before sale, especially with a private owner.

Keith FDNY":28gw3ft1 said:
Well i am going to look at boat rite after New Years,From the Pictures owner sent me boat is mint condition and has 103hrs on the yamaha 150hp outboard 4-stroke,and it is a 2120 sport cabin!!!

Keith - Ranger Tim has 2120SC with an F150. PM him or check out his web site. http://home.earthlink.net/~streagle/Frameset.html He uses his to fish CBBT in the wintertime.

My 2120SC sees a lot of trailer use & IMO wouldn't want to handle anything bigger on the road ('07 went to Chesapeake, Outer Banks, Charleston, St Augustine, GOM, Nashville, Upper Lake Michigan & 2 trips between Chicago & SC. '08 heading west.) Sometimes splash several times a day & often single handed. Use boat for camping - 2 & 3 days @ a time both on & off the water.

Performance - 150 HPDI averages 3 mpg, WTO @ 37mph & cruise all day @ 27 mph sweet spot. Cannot compare to F150. With regular maintenance, motor has been flawless (KOW). Handling great in slop & chop - takes concentration in quartering following seas. Tabs, hydraulic steering and permatrim a plus.

Only moment of concern happened @ anchor in Lookout Bight in a snowstorm. Woke up to wind opposing current. She snap rolled pretty good - had to tether the mate to send him forward to haul the anchor.

Great boat - no complaints here. She's done everything asked of her. Lots of looks on & off the water. Good luck in your search!

Back