Just Launched '95 2520MV in RI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Have been lurking here for a little while reading old items and bugging a few RI members with pm's.Have been a boater most of life and have enjoyed sail and power through the years.Most recently had a Sabre 28 sloop and a Northcoast 20CC which lead the powerboaters at the local marina to christen me with the unfortunate nickname of "goes both ways".
Had been helping a buddy look for a boat and kept steering him towards Parker and Steiger PHs.He finally asked "why don't you buy one"which kind of stumped me,so I did.Had sold the sailboat in May and remarkably sold the Northcoast the day after I took home the 2520.Just put it in this week and am just awed with it so far.
I had been waiting to post pics with the "hello" as I know it earns you extra credit but I have a pressing issue to inquire about.
After trying to fix the bow lights it became apparent that they (and the wiring) were shot.Just bought LED Atwoods and really like the idea of moving them from the pulpit(big hassle to re-run the wires I fear) to the front corners of the PH.Problems???? Is the light distracting?It seems it would meet the Colregs and I think it would look pretty sharp but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if others have been down this path and found problems.
Would appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks,
Elysium

Elysium":7ivf8b83 said:
... really like the idea of moving them from the pulpit(big hassle to re-run the wires I fear) to the front corners of the PH.Problems???? Is the light distracting?It seems it would meet the Colregs and I think it would look pretty sharp but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if others have been down this.. path and found problems.

I too thought about that when I refurbished the empty hull I had bought. I never permanently mounted them and was using std bulbs back then, but in a mock trial, I got glare from the rails and the underneath of the pilothouse. I was going to paint the underneath flat black, but could not get past the railing glare.

That said, LEDs are more uni-directional than a incandescant, but there still must be some scatter or separation, or it wouldn't meet the 112.5 (I beleive) degrees of side coverage a colreg 2nM light must meet. Now, how much scatter in the up & down plane? No idea ...

Plus one other BIG concern was that I wanted MORE separation bow-to-stern than the r/g nav lights on the PH and the All-Round up top of the SC would give you. Someone else could see them "apparently close together" and assume I was on a tighter closing angle to them than I really was, which I felt could mean they'd steer off ahead of me ... thinking they were going to pass well AHEAD of me, but rather I felt it would put them on an intersecting course :shock: !

Just my opine ...

Oh, welcome aboard :D !

Jeff, the BaywatchRI Parker towboat has the nav lights mounted on the sides of the p/h and the light scatter and glareback are significant. While running that boat I sometimes had trouble with nightvision off the starboard side which we all know as the "danger zone".

I would recommend either side of the pulpit. Other members on here have done pictoral projects on mounting L.E.D. nav lights.

BTW went by her the other day. She looks great 8)

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment.If you could have seen how pathetic she looked when I first saw her after sitting out under some trees for 2+ years then you'd know some work has gone in already and there is plenty more to do.
I was afraid of that with the lights.Are the lights on the side or top of the PH on the towboat?I got horizontal mounts and was thinking the forward corners of the top level but that still might be a problem.Going to put them in next week so I still have some time to figure it out.

the lights are on the side and are agrivating. I'm afraid that on the side of the roof they would also be a problem at night. The other thing to remember, there has to be a 1 meter separation between the nav lights and the steaming light (all around 360), so the roof may not be an option either.

Latest posts

Back