Kayak storage project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
With spring coming up, I've been wanting to get my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler out of the basement, and stored in a way to make it a little easier to get it on top of my Cherokee.

My plan was to mount it on a hoist system in my garage, over top of the Jeep.
Here is the space I had available...

Looking toward the (closed) garage door, there is a bulkhead that runs across the garage, right about at the point where the garage door stops when fully opened.

Image-AF49BF8AD35411DB.jpg

From that bulkhead to the back wall is 14'. The kayak is 12', so it's time to do a little engineering... ;)

Image-AF49FAC0D35411DB.jpg

After looking around, I selected a Harken Kayak Hoist from KayakFishingStuff.com because it looked like the best solution for the area I had to work with.
http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Mercha...arken-Kayak-Hoist&Category_Code=Kayak-Storage

Since the kayak is 12' long, I decided that my lifting points needed to be 4' each from the bow and the stern.
I then started looking for attachment points on the 10' 6" high ceiling.

With the ceiling joists on 24" centers (verified with a stud finder), a 5' long 2x6 would be able to capture 3 joists, so I assembled the wood, and attachment hardware, then began the task of laying everything out on the ground.

Everything was measured on the ground, and all of the holes were pre-drilled for the lag bolts going into the ceiling, as well as holes for 4" wallboard screws and the hoist attachment hardware.

Image-AF4A5E98D35411DB.jpg

Once everything was ready, I located where the Jeep would sit, then transferred the measurements to the ceiling where the hoist attachment points would have to go.
Satisfied that everything was going to fit, I took the first 2x6 aloft and temporarilly attached it to the ceiling joists with 4" wallboard screws.

Once the board was in place, I drilled the holes for the 5/16"x4" galvinized lag screws, and bolted them into place.

Image-AF4A8DF0D35411DB.jpg

This is the point where I discovered that it was possible to wring off a 4" lag screw with a standard 3/8" drive ratchet. Doh!
Solution? Coat the threads of the lag screws with liquid dish detergent before screwing them in. No more wrung-off lag screws. :D

After the first board went in, the second followed.

Image-AF4AE8FED35411DB.jpg

The next step was to locate a 2x6 on the rear wall to be used as an attachment anchor point for the hoist mechanism. With the wall joists being on 16" centers, a 3' section of 2x6 fit the application nicely.

Image-AF4B1677D35411DB.jpg

Even though the Harken Hoist mechanism has an integral locking device, for safetys sake I located a galvinized cleat on the wall to tie off the hoist line.

Image-AF4B43D0D35411DB.jpg

The next step was to install the attachment hardware, and then begin the task of running the hoist lines through the pulleys, and weaving everything through the appropriate attachment.

Image-DC7A7980D3D511DB.jpg

Image-AF4B9E36D35411DB.jpg

Image-AF4BCB0CD35411DB.jpg

The next step was to locate the kayak under the lift, attach the sling straps, then lift it into place.
My first attempt didn't go too well.
This is an example of how not to rig your lifting straps.

Image-AF4DA044D35411DB.jpg

My error was rigging the lifting straps for a two-point hoist, rather than a 4-point hoist.
I corrected that error the next morning.

Wrong way...

Image-DC78CB89D3D511DB.jpg

Right way...

Image-DC798D21D3D511DB.jpg

Notice now how the lifting lines go straight up to the pulley assemblies.

Image-DC79EB59D3D511DB.jpg

Much better.

Image-DC7AA6BCD3D511DB.jpg

Image-DC7AD472D3D511DB.jpg

All in all, a very worthwhile project.

The kayak snuggles into a 14' ceiling space with room to clear the garage door in the open position. I can set the yak down from its stored position right onto the rooftop carrier, and drive out the door! :)

Later this spring, my next project will be mounting the kayak on the Parker "mother ship". The plan is to mount the 'yak so I can take it with me to other river systems where I'll anchor the "mother ship", then use the 'yak to fish the skinny-water tribs. :wink:

Very, very well-done Sir! Looks to me like you planned that one out for a day or two before you bought the materials. :wink:

I gotta tell you though...looks like lots and lots of running rigging and blocks and sailboat-type hardware!. I'm getting a little nervous.... you aren't starting to wish you had a blow-boat are 'ya? :shock: :shock:

cbigma":11lw8oc0 said:
Very, very well-done Sir! Looks to me like you planned that one out for a day or two before you bought the materials. :wink:

Yes sir...
There was a clipboard, and note paper, and a tape measure involved... along with several "ponder beers" while planning this one. :D

I gotta tell you though...looks like lots and lots of running rigging and blocks and sailboat-type hardware!. I'm getting a little nervous.... you aren't starting to wish you had a blow-boat are 'ya? :shock: :shock:

Um... in a word. No! :wink:

OK.... so now that you have the dry-dock squared away for the kayak, we're all curious about what your plans are for the "Quick-release, one-handed, roof-top" system on the Megabyte. :roll: :roll:

Are you leaning towards a roof-top mount nestled somewhere up there alongside the GPS antenna and crow's nest, or are you going "low-rider" and planning a gunnel-hugger that can launch in a flash? :D :D

This should be interesting.... 8)

No pressure Kevin,,, there's only about two dozen CP-ers out here waiting for -you- to draw first blood with this Parker-friendly Kayak mount.!!

cbigma":l2pumk44 said:
Are you leaning towards a roof-top mount nestled somewhere up there alongside the GPS antenna and crow's nest, or are you going "low-rider" and planning a gunnel-hugger that can launch in a flash? :D :D

This too will require delicate engineering and multiple "ponder beers", but think (if it can be made to work), PT boat 'torpedo launcher' style. 8)

... sung to the tune of "Low Rider" by ZZ Top ...

"Blow Ri-der ... rides a little slower ..."

"Kay-ak rider ... rides a lot lower ..."

Nice job Kevin. Got the same rig in my garage. Helped a neighbor rig one for his.

Nice job Kevin. Got the same rig in my garage. Helped a neighbor rig one for his.

Megabyte":13esf0e3 said:
think (if it can be made to work), PT boat 'torpedo launcher' style. 8)

Hmm....PT boat inspiration... I'm thinking of..... PT 109, or maybe ........some.............. McHale's Navy. :D :D

As long as we avoid Gilligan's Island we'll be fine. 8)

Maybe you should just attach it to Megabyte like an outrigger pontoon on a Hawaiian war canoe!

beach1.jpg

Nice mounting. I don't have a garage. Store my wife's kayak in the cellar.

She uses it in local ponds and streams and every once in awhile on the boat.

I told her to get a small one to fit on a 2530. It gets stored on its side in the cockpit or or between on rail and the cabin. Too many things mounted on the cabin top to fit it.

She bought a Heritage Dolphin, sit on top in 2004. Is only 9'4" long, here is the link, http://www.heritagekayaks.com/dolphin.htm

Here's one photo of me paddling it. Is red with orange paddles.

Here's a cool shot of a friend in his floating chair he bought in 1995, has an insulated can holder in one of the armrests, and he made use of her paddle.

Dana

Dana

Attachments

• Dana kayak_071104 (Medium).JPG
    Dana kayak_071104 (Medium).JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,524
  • DSC01994 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01994 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,524
Did anyone notice that kevin's garage is as neat and clean as his boat?
How can he have time to fish with all that cleaning?

goinsfishin":1wu0n8vj said:

Yes, we all noticed and it's just something that we've all learned to cope with. :( :(

It's actually something that we have all grown to -expect- of him. Must be a lot of pressure. One of these days he'll slip and we'll catch him with a muddy footprint on his deck or something :shock: :shock:

That's great documentation, Kevin.

By the way I see Kevin's boat with a roof mounted Kayak with hinged swingout arms that lower her effortlessly right into the drink. Kind of like those fancy roof rack bike mounts on the Beamers and Audis.

To quote cbigma and Dale, Wicked cooooool.

goinsfishin":35pfnf1p said:

Trust me... it's not (clean). :)

Dana... the "paddle chair" photo is great! :D

goinsfishin":3ciyv6lq said:
Did anyone notice that Kevin's garage is as neat and clean as his boat? How can he have time to fish with all that cleaning?
Let me tell you first hand boys ... as I spent 3 days with Capt Kevin and Admiral MJ during the 1st Annual Parker Annapolis rendezvous in 2006 ...

... after staying with them 3-days, I was making my bed every morning, putting out the trash, taking my shoes off at the threshold of the door, walked old ladies across the street, threw my coat down in puddles for young ladies to cross puddles in, fed the dog, cleaned out the cat box, felt like a Boy Scout going for a badge in Household Cleaning 101, started sorting my socks by colors, sorted my shrts by plain or pattern, and then by color - both tones and prints ... and so much more - that I can't stand it. All without being asked or directed to even :shock: !

Thank God for beer! Otherwise I wouldn't have survived it! All kidding aside ;) ... I think it is our dear Capt's military upbringing that has him so 'spit & polish'. Any English military officer of regal birth would be darn proud of him - cheerio!

But the garage isn't painted, whats up with that? Just kidding.

I need to lend you my kids for a week, they could tear that house up.

Nice job on the yak storage!

Anthony

Kevin, check this out. The floating chair was bought last year by one of the guys I raft with. It got shared a lot by floating loungers. Another guy (the bigger guy from the first photo) bought his own this past summer.

Here's one with the two chairs, my wife's pink float ring taken over by another lounging dude, and me with the 12 oz Valvoline float. You'll see lines tied to some of them or held in their hand. I usually supply them so that they can tie off and not exert themselves in the water!

The other one with the pink ring floating by itself in the water is the best but my wife must of had the digital camera set with flash on. So you'll have to believe my description. The big guy (over 300 lb, about 6'6") jumps off the swim platform for entertainment to doubters, and goes right through that ring headfirst. You can see an outline of his body underwater.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02649 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02649 (Medium).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 3,381
  • DSC02639 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02639 (Medium).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,381
susqking":2stpoofz said:
But the garage isn't painted, whats up with that?

Anthony, It's on my to-do list... someday. :shock:

It's something I should have done when I moved in... and before I filled it up.
Now every season I look at it and wonder if I could actually paint it in sections...

Back