Laptop Chartplotter for Pilothouse Parker.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dc_gentry":gro7720r said:
andertonm & cbigma

Have approx. 350 hrs. on Toshiba HD in a hp dv1000 with no problems (so far). Since following the thread, am imaging the drive on a spare. I'd hate to lose all the charts I downloaded from Maptech. Also use the same unit in the truck with nRoute that came with the Garmin 18 puck.

cbigma - those IBMs are built like a brick s***house, titanium case and all, but the LCDs are a little fragile.

mokee

mokee:

Maptech.... Is that the system that is strictly PC-Based? You load the software directly to the PC, and use a USB or Serial Puck for a GPS Receiver, right? -That's- the most direct and elegant solution to accomplish this Laptop Chartplotter...... :lol:

What I have been doing is sort of a kludgy work-around with Garmin Software that is originally intended to be used in one of Garmin's own Hardware units. :cry:

I must say however, that the quality of the Blue Charts that come from Garmin is first rate. I should check on the Maptech website to see if they have screen shots of their charts. 8)

I might wind up switching to Maptech over the winter if their chart quality measures up. :lol:

Does Maptech sell their software by "Regions" and require unlock codes llike Garmin does?

John

Kevin!

Great News! :lol:

I've been browsing the MapTech website, and they appear to have an extensive array of support forums. I searched the forum for "Mac" and found this.....

DISCUSSION

At this time, we do not offer Mac versions of Maptech's navigation software products.

Many Mac users have reported successful use of our products with Windows emulation software such as Microsoft's Virtual PC. While we don't recommend or support this option, you may wish to investigate this further.

That having been said, there are two Mac-based navigation products that will read Maptech nautical charts. We have worked closely with these manufacturers to ensure that navigators who choose the Mac platform may also rely upon Maptech's suite of chart CDs:
- NavimaQ
- GPSNavX

Maptech's FreeBoatingCharts.com uses a PC-based extraction program. Thus, it is not directly compatible with the Mac platform without the use of a PC emulator. However, Mac-compatible chart downloads are available from NOAA's web site.

Registering Charts with GPSNavX:
The folks at GPSNavX have provided this technical document that details the registration process. In our experience, we have also learned that unlike PC registration, the Product ID and Activation Code must be typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS in order to be correctly processed.

Based on the detail in the discussion groups, it appears that there are some serious alpha-geeks both using and supporting this stuff. The screenshots of the charts look impressive. Both Raster and Vector are available. :D

There are "lite" versions of the chart-paks available for around $50 per region..... I'm thinking this system is looking pretty smart. 8)

Hey mokee....what else can you tell us about this MapTech system? How long have you been using it, and what has your experience been with support, and upgrades etc.....? :lol:

Any other Parker BoatGeeks using this MapTech system?

Great information! I know what I'll be doing this winter. :D

BTW - Jim Maier at BOE Marine is a MapTech dealer. He has a MapTech system in his Annapolis store that is just awesome....
It's all touch screen, and you can set multiple waypoints for your AP to follow by just touching the screen.

Way pricey, but I'm sure (hope?) the cost will come down eventually. :)

I may need to pick Jims brain about a Mac compatable MapTech solution... :wink:

John - I too used Mapsource until I downloaded the upgrade that disabled the real time navigation function. Then I stumbled on to the following.

Maptech distributes free NOAA charts covering east coast, gulf coast, west coast, Alaska, the Great Lakes and more that don't require unlock codes. I download these electronic versions of NOAA paper charts from Maptech @

http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/index.cfm

0r directly from NOAA @

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download.htm

Maptech bundles them nicer, but takes longer with an extra step. You can also purchase CDs containing the charts from Maptech.

I use Maptech Offshore Navigator or (free) Seaclear II on my Notebook to organize the charts, plan routes and for real time navigation. I like Offshore Navigator better for navigating as I dont have room for a mouse on the console (IMHO Seaclear II is kinda kludgy w/o mouse functions).

You gonna pay for Offshore Navigator, but unless your Notebook has a serial port, you would have to buy something like Franson GPSGate to get the Garmin 18 USB puck to work with Seaclear II. I'm sure there are similar chartplotting software programs out there that someone else can reccomend.

The charts are electronic versions of the paper charts. Some will prefer more expensive solutions using ENC charts that have more features and detail.

Nothing beats local knowledge, and I wouldn't rely on these charts alone. I also use a Lowrance LCX-18C and Garmin 176C GPS. I have used charts of Lake Michigan and Huron, Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic and Gulf Intercoastal Waterways and found them extremely helpful.

mokee

John - Offshore Navigator needs a GPS that ouputs data in NMEA format. So . . . the Garmin 18 USB puck may not work with Offshore Navigator or Seaclear II for real time tracking unless it outputs data in NMEA format. I normally connect a Garmin 76C to the notebook that's set to output in NMEA format when using the charts.

The confusion arose because for real time tracking on inland lakes and waterways (like Kentucky Lake and Lake Barclay which was my last trip) I use nRoute looking at US Inland Lakes v2 along with the Garmin 18 USB puck connected to the notebook.

Sorry about the confusion.

mokee

Excellent posts mokee. Lots of top-quality info there.

Thanks for sharing. This approach gives us a huge amount of flexibility. Once we break out of the grip of a single manufacturer like Garmin, it looks like we have endless possibilities.

Sort of a "Roll your own" Chartplotter package. 8)

Cherry pick the charts and bundle your own suite. As far as accuracy goes....if its good enough for NOAA, it's probably OK for me! :lol:

TonyAmalfitano":3mc1hx2c said:
http://www.capjack.com/category/Navigation/GPS-And-Plotters/PC-GPS-Navigation-Starter-Kit.cfm

Just add a laptop?

That's a cool package Tony.. 8)

I like the "Sally Field" attachment for the laptop. The "Laptop Visor". Looks like the outfit that the "Flying Nun" used to wear.... :lol:

Oops, sorry, one of those "60's flashbacks" again.....damn,,,, need to adjust my medication. :oops: :oops:

TonyAmalfitano":9p1njiyc said:
http://www.capjack.com/category/Navigation/GPS-And-Plotters/PC-GPS-Navigation-Starter-Kit.cfm

Just add a laptop?

Interesting! :)

John - Got a question for you. Did you get nRoute with the Garmin 18 puck?

mokee

dc_gentry":1fzk5sek said:
John - Got a question for you. Did you get nRoute with the Garmin 18 puck?

mokee

Not that I recall. I have actually purchased two of these OEM 18 units, and don't remember any software bundled with either one.

But then again, you can't imagine how many different applications float across my desk in a month..... :shock:

I may have it here somewhere... :roll:

Is it something important that I should make an attempt to locate?

John

John

I wonder if you can do real time route tracking with nRoute (like in earlier versions of Mapsource) using your BlueCharts and the Garmin 18? I have BlueCharts of Alaska and can create routes in nRoute, but have no way to check real time tracking with them as I'm in Illinois.

You can download nRoute here if you are interested.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-10

mokee

TonyAmalfitano wrote:
http://www.capjack.com/category/Navigat ... er-Kit.cfm

Just add a laptop?

I e-mailed these folks, this is their reply.

Anthony,

The U.S. Boating Charts DVD will run on Windows 2000 or XP. You need a USB port for the GPS and a DVD drive to install the DVD. Yes, the GPS will show you your position real time on the charts in the Offshore Navigator program that comes on the DVD.

Thanks,

Customer Support

Tony

Looks like a great inexpensive solution! You know their GPS is gonna work (output NMEA format) with Offshore Navigator (which is normally $100). I wonder if you get all of the NOAA charts?

Mokee

Hi and thanks for your time on this subject. so from what I understand the software you have you can not input waypoint / marks and navigate to them. I was hoping you could. I would ask if anybody knows of a software that is a true plotter, that one could load a waypoint and then recall it and navagate back to it. and maybe a MOB feature. well if you know of one please let me know. and thanks for the warm welcome. just to let you guys and girls know. I used to own a 25 c-hawk pilot house boat. I do a bit of diving off the jersey coast. I loved my c-hawk. sold it one day bought a Grady white.
the Grady just did not cut it.
I bought a 25 Kencraft buxton inboard Pilot house boat I still own it. I liked my C-hawk much better. however I just bought a 1989 25 Parker pilot WOW
what a boat just nice great ride and stability solid, it gets up on top of the water and what can I say WOWWWWWWWW.
sorry to blab on
Billy

PC GPS Navigation Starter Kit

EGN001 $200.00 Now Only: $139.00

This kit includes all US NOAA charts, a navigation software program to use with them, a USB GPS to plot your position on the charts and a Laptop Visor so you can see your screen when the sun gets bright.

The above was cut from the web site. I would think the Navigation Program would permit use as a chart ploter.

And it's on sale!

Billy

TonyAmalfatano wrote:

I e-mailed these folks, this is their reply.

Anthony,

The U.S. Boating Charts DVD will run on Windows 2000 or XP. You need a USB port for the GPS and a DVD drive to install the DVD. Yes, the GPS will show you your position real time on the charts in the Offshore Navigator program that comes on the DVD.

Thanks,

Customer Support

I run Offshore Navigator 5.08 (not Offshore Navigator Lite) and it allows me to create named waypoints and routes and navigate with real time tracking. It also has a MOB feature. SeaClear II has similar features. Both use Maptech/NOAA charts. Both need a GPS attached to the computer that outputs data in an NMEA format.

Garmins Mapsource prior to v.6.0.1 and nRoute allow you to create waypoints and routes with some Garmin charts. I believe these require data ouput in the Garmin proprietary format.

mokee

http://www.capjack.com/category/Navigat ... er-Kit.cfm

OK, I bought the above kit, $139.00 and free shipping. It comes with NOAA charts from MapTec, Offshore Navigator lite, NMEA 0183 GPS, and the sunscreen.

It was simple to load the GPS drivers, the charts cover the WHOLE U.S., download what you want then remove the CD. If you don't the program will download ALL THE CHARTS. (Don't ask how I know that) I had the GPS antenna on the outside window sill, which aquired a signal just fine. Back at the Navigator Lite program I hit the "LOCATE" button and bingo, I had a boat icon sitting at the Lat/Lon for my house. (There's no detail on the chart for 16 miles inland)
I believe an up grade to Offshore Navigator is needed.
I also loaded Magellan's Mapsend Streets. I'm trying to get this system to work on that too, so far no luck.
We can download MapTec topo's from their web site, $99.00 per State, that will work with this system.
MapTec also lists a Garmin adapter of some kind.
Lets not forget, the original project has an AIRCARD to access the internet for weather radar and such.

Back