Laptop Chartplotter for Pilothouse Parker.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyAmalfitano":nm8atbum said:
I believe an up grade to Offshore Navigator is needed.

Tony,, why do you think the upgrade to Offshore Navigator is needed,, to give you more detail? Maybe Mokee can explain the diffference to us. Although he probably already did in his very detailed posts above, maybe I misunderstood. :oops:

We can download MapTec topo's from their web site, $99.00 per State, that will work with this system.

By "topo", do you mean the land-based topographical maps, like the ones the USGS puts out (quadrangles).? So we could use this rig ashore as well?

The component of the Single-Manufacturer-Based chartplotter systems (Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine) that seems to make them so expensive is the large video display. A 15" or 17" chartplotter by Garmin or Furuno will cost several thousand dollars. If you already have a "spare" laptop, you have already made that investment in the large display, and you can save big bucks by "rolling your own" large-display Chartplotter system. 8)

As you have illustrated above Tony, we can infinitely customize the charts we want, and how we arrange and access them without being tied to a particular "bundle" that is offered by the Manufacturer.

I really like the idea of being able to customize my own bundle. :lol:

Lets not forget, the original project has an AIRCARD to access the internet for weather radar and such.

And of course, Email. I love being able to stay "connected" while I'm out on the water, and I wouldn't be able to get out so much if I wasn't able to stay in touch.

Part of me wants to "escape" when I am on my Parker, but the Geek in me needs the network. Judging from the response to RangerDog's Excellent Post:
What Does Everyone Do and How did you get into Boating? and the number of "Wired" members we have on ClassicParker I think there are more than a few of us that may be interested in breadboarding some of these systems over the winter.

Thanks for sharing your results with the Cap'n Jack package Tony. The more I learn from you, Mokee and others on this topic, the better I can choose components for my own system. :wink:

After all, that's what the "Projects" Forum at ClassicParker is all about! 8) 8)

..John

cbigma,
The Offshore Navigator has several more features then the Lite version. You can compair at MapTec.com > products. I think you'll see right away what I mean. :shock:

TOPO's, yes topographical maps as produced by USGS. Yup, strap this baby to your seat and go 4 wheelin'! $99.00 a State is a bit steep, IMHO.
However, I have Garmins topo's and can load them into a chip for my 276C.
I'm still working on the street maps, I think it's a comport issue. The GPS and the charts talked to each other during an automatic setup and alined to the same comport. I was even warned to have charts and GPS in the same comport, in the instructions. Not being "WIRED" or a "GEEK" I have to fumble fudge my way through this. :roll:

I like the idea of access to weather data, it seems like everyday here in NJ the forcast is for a "Chance of Thunderstorms." I use NOAA weather radar now, and am quite good at plotting a storms path. I'd like to know which way to run, and when to start, to avoid a storm. I'd have the laptop with the aircard even if I didn't make it into a chartplotter.

John & Tony -

I first got interested in chart plotting software during a trip to Prince Rupert, BC. A number of the commercial fishermen at the floating dock we stayed at were buying used laptops to run Navionics charts on. It got me to thinking.

I stumbled across Offshore Navigator two years ago. I was looking for something to replace Mapsource as I disabled realtime tracking when I upgraded it one too many times (like John expained in an earlier post). I was also getting ticked off at having to get and unlock Bluecharts, plan routes and download them to another device.

I don't fish anymore (why I own a Parker is another story) so I was never interested in underwater topos. I just needed something to help get me safely from one point to another, showing depths, markers and such. Offshore Navigator fits those needs well. I've never used Offshore Navigator Lite, so can't make comparisons.

I like having the electronic versions of the NOAA charts. I open Offshore Navigator and it finds the right chart with the realtime tracking and moves from one chart to another automatically as I move. Setting waypoints and planning routes is very similar to what I did in Mapsource.

Tony, I also use Garmin City Select (Garmin changed it to City Navigator so City Select has no upgrade path. You gotta buy City Navigator to get the latest mps, etc. :( ) to go cross country when towing the boat. I noticed that I have to rediscover the GPS when changing to and from Offshore Navigator. Kind of a hassle at times.

I got long winded again.

mokee

I copied this so you all would not have to search for it.

Offshore Navigator Lite is a program included with a number of Maptech's international chart CDs.

It is useful for planning, printing and real-time GPS positioning on the PC screen.

It does not include the following tools that are in Maptech's full-featured Offshore Navigator software:

Tracks
Track where you've been and convert tracks into routes for the return trip.

Instant Waypoints
Quickly create single "go to" waypoints. This tool is great when you’re underway and want to navigate to a single point without creating an entire route.

Named Waypoints
A Named Waypoint is a waypoint that can be used in multiple routes. Named Waypoints are handy for indicating locations that you visit often.

On Water Mode
One click takes you from the standard Windows planning interface to a simpler chartplotter interface.

Spherical Horizon View
This lets you look far ahead while displaying the immediate area in sharp focus. It would be similar to draping a paper chart over a beachball.

Autopilot Support
Offshore Navigator will generate NMEA 0183 sentences to steer your autopilot. After planning your trip at home, walk aboard, plug in your laptop, and let your autopilot follow your earlier instructions as you get underway. It doesn't get any easier. Note: An autopilot is not required to run Offshore Navigator

User-defined alarm zones
An alarm is an area you define on a chart. Offshore Navigator can warn you when your vessel enters or leaves that area.

Ships Log
The electronic Ship's Log lets you keep a record of your vessel position, course, speed and progress, and print this information for use as a paper reference. The data you collect may also be exported to a text file for electronic transfer or use in other programs.

What I'm waiting for is instructions from MapTech on how to aquire Offshore Navigator alone w/o charts and such. I don't want to download it, makes it hard to setup this system in another laptop.

Mokee, (We had a cat named Mokee)
Do you use Garmin on a laptop, or on a Garmin GPS? I use Garmin on Garmin. I use a Garmin 276C in the boat and in the car. All I have to do is change the chip, and in "SETUP" change from "MARINE" to "AUTO". I have Magellan's MapSend Streets, and MapSend BlueNav, I use in a Uniden Mystic. (My backup unit)

Tony -

Thanks for the finding the excellent comparison of Offshore Navigator and Offshore Navigator Lite. I now realize that for me the Lite version would be kinda useless.

On the Parker, I have a Garmin GPSmap 76C outputing data in NMEA 0183 format via USB port to a laptop running Offshore Navigator v.5.0.8 and a Lowrance LCX - 18C with NauticPath USA on a SD card. I use Offshore Navigator as a primary source, and the Lowrance as a back up and to show current direction and speed( I am a little nutty about redundancy). :shock:

Sometimes I hook up a Garmin USB 18 to the laptop to run Garmin Inland Lakes using nRoute. I got the USB 18 with nRoute to run an earlier version of City Select in the truck.

My Brother-in-Law has a Garmin GPSMAP 478 he uses both on his boat and van and swears by it. He brings it on the Parker when we take trips together or he uses the Parker alone. It uses the same hardwired power source as the Garmin GPSmap 76C.

mokee

Tony:

Thanks for the comparison data. It's definitely the Offshore Navigator software for me... now the question is, Offshore Navigator, or the Offshore Navigator "Pro" series.

I think the major difference is that the "Pro" series allows the use of the NOAA Vector charts in addition to the Raster versions. From what I understand, Vector charts are the future, because they are "intelligent" (data points can have attributes assigned to them) versus the Raster charts that are merely digitized versions of the paper charts. I think the Vector charts have smaller file sizes as well.

I don't use an autopilot, but I think it makes sense to invest in Vector-capable technology. I'm happy with the Garmin BlueCharts which I understand are vector-based.

Anyone have Vector vs. Raster opinions?

Offshore Navigator $49.95 @ MapTech 1-888-839-5551 a CD mailed to your address.

Offshore Navigator Pro $499.95 notice the extra 9 in there! :shock: For what I do I'll stick to the cheapie for now! :lol:

Vector Charts

Chart Navigator Pro includes all available S-57 ENC vector charts from NOAA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. These charts are "smart." You can turn information on and off and view chart characteristics with a click of the mouse.

Raster Charts

Raster charts have the same visual detail as NOAA paper charts. Chart Navigator Pro lets you quickly switch between Vector and Raster or even quilt them together. Chart Navigator Pro includes all NOAA Raster Charts in the Maptech/BSB3 file format.

In the United States, all official nautical paper charts produced by NOAA's Office of Coast Survey (OCS) are available in raster format. A fundamental tool of marine navigation, NOAA's Raster Navigational Charts (NOAA RNCs™) are produced by scanning at high resolution the original color separates, which are used to print the paper charts. NOAA adds to the digital raster file such features as data describing the chart, its datum, projection, and its geo-reference. Geo-referencing enables a computer-based navigation system that is connected to a GPS to locate and display on the chart image on screen the vessel's exact position.

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/staff/fa ... pabilities

Check this link for vector v. raster, there is way too much info to copy and paste.
I have a busted knee, I have nothing better to do then look this ship up. 8)

I happened to be paging through the Galls catalog today ( http://www.galls.com/ ) and discovered the Garmin GPS 18 Deluxe GPS sensor bundled with nRoute and City Select software for sale.

Item number X-AP527
$149.95

OK, I got Offshore Navigator and loaded the puppy into the laptop. Then I took the laptop into the bedroom and spent the next 3 hours deleting 2.5GB of charts I didn't need, one at a time. (While I watched the Utah/SC game) (( I had charts for WAKE ISLAND!!)) Remember when I said "BE SURE TO REMOVE THE DISK." It might have been quicker and easyer to dump the whole program and start from the get go.

TonyAmalfitano":8yfpe65r said:
(( I had charts for WAKE ISLAND!!)) .....Remember when I said "BE SURE TO REMOVE THE DISK."

Wake Island? Hey,, you never know. :shock:

That's the magic of ClassicParker Thanks to your post, only ONE of us here will be wiping 2.5 GB of Maps from their HD. 8) 8)

So... what's the verdict with Offshore Navigator? It's a keeper?

Yes, it's a keeper, fairly straight forward and easy to use. The chart set is for all U.S. coast, rivers, canals, Great Lakes and all territorial waters. Wake, Guam, and the friggin' Marianas (sp? :oops: ) were on there (Turkey shoot anyone? 8) )
Parctical Sailor ran a story this month on "Budget Navigation" Mariner 3.0 ($70), Oziexplorer ($85), Seaclear (free)((Budget buy)) and SOBvMAX ($58.00) ((Best Choice)). Just add laptop and generic gps. None read Vector charts. This story is a follow up on a September 2006 "Nav software Wars." I just took a look for the issue, it's not in my binder, I'll have to look some more. (The wife threw it out? :evil: )

i have mapquest and usb gps but all it would do is give me water with no markers or soundings

Back