Leakage problem solved

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
My 23 SE has a live well beneath the leaning post. I do not use it as a live well -- instead I use it for storage, including several tackle trays. At the end of my first trip of the season, as I retrieved the boat from the dealer and ran it to my summer dock, I found the live well filled to the brim with bay water. I knew it had been dry when I left the dealer's dock. I assumed that the live well switch had been bumped on during winterization process. I took home all the wet tackle trays and a few other items so they could dry off. After removing most of the gear from the live well, I discovered that the lid to a bait dish had rested directly over the drain hole in the well, thereby allowing the well to fill up.

After double checking the live well switches and making sure the drain hole was clear, I assumed that the problem was solved. However, after each trip this spring and summer, I found that the contents were wet. I was getting really frustrated. Finally, about a week ago, I thought to look into the live well while the boat was moving at >20 mph. A steady spray was coming out of the top-mounted spray head of the live well. When I slowed down to idle speed, the spray stopped.

Armed with that new evidence, I checked the main water intake line and valve. I found that the valve had been moved to the open position during winterization by the dealer. All season long, once the boat moved fast enough, water was being forced into the water intake line and through the I had not been able to diagnose the leakage when the boat was at rest.

Today I ran for several hours with the water intake valve closed. I am pleased to report that the problem is solved. I will always check the intake valve in the future following winterization.

Attachments

• 2008-05-24 003.JPG
    2008-05-24 003.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 399
John, I also discovered that my raw water valve to the wash down pump was open this spring when I brought my boat home from her winters nap. :shock:
I know it wasn't me who left it open and I always keep it closed when I'm not using it.

I agree... The dealer open the valves when performing their winterization, and we all need to check them when performing our spring commissioning to make sure that they are closed.

Good to hear you discovered where the water was coming from and corrected the problem. :wink:

Back