Leaning post for 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bro

Reaction score
Well after a season in the boat with the stock cooler seat, I decided I needed a better option for running longer distances. I had a welder in Miami build me a custom leaning post with a storage box, foot rest, and back rest for less than the cost of a Birdsall without these options. The post also used larger diameter tubing than the other products I saw out there.

During my visit in eary June, I removed the cooler seat and filled the resulting holes with Marine Tex. I also scraped off the silicone sealant that had been used to hold the cooler to the deck. I then used a few sessions of Barkeepers Friend to remove the mold that had grown under the seat.

Next, using the stringer schematic I got from Parker, I made sure that my new holes would not drill into the fuel tank. Because the post legs are 27 1/2" apart and the tank is only 17" wide, I knew I would be OK. I put the post in place and figure out where it was ideal (close enough to drive while seated, but far enough back to stand with the foot rest up and use the post for leaning into. I then marked the holes with a pencil and drilled them out with a drill bit around the size of the body of the #14 scres I used. I started out with the drill in reverse to etch the gelcoat and then drilled with no problems. I then used a countersink bit to slightly open up the top of each hole to prevent chipping or cracking. I then used masking tape to trace around the base of each mounting pad. After removing the post, I filled each screw hole with 5200 and used a nice amount to cover the area of the deck inside each taped perimeter.

I then put the post in place and used some paint thinner on a rag to wipe down the 5200 that squirted out of the sides of the plate and holes. Screwed in the screws and again wiped off the excess. Removing the tape left a nice clean deck and also a good fillet between the deck and post.

Let the 5200 cure overnight and then took the boat out the next day for some stripers at Wasque. Rock solid and much more comfortable. Only screw up (pun intended) for the install was that I stripped one of the screw heads during the dry fit of the mounting. I was able to drill out the screw and twist off the head. Removed the post and got ahold of the screw body with a pair of vise grips. Tragedy narrowly averted!

T-Bro

Attachments

• parker leaning post 014.jpg
    parker leaning post 014.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,915
  • parker leaning post 012.jpg
    parker leaning post 012.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,914
  • parker leaning post 017.jpg
    parker leaning post 017.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,914
Nice job on the leaning post.

Noticed that you have an iPOD player on the battery cover seat at the stern.

Doesn't it get splashed "out there"?

Do you have it wired up to the battery, or are you just running off its internal batteries. If the former, did you install some sort of plug?

Thanks!

Nice job, and great report!

Since leaning posts are a frequent question here, thanks for taking the time to document your project and becoming part of the online Parker Owners Manual! 8)

The I-Pod and battery powered speaker kit is only in the pictures because I was listening to tunes while I was doing the install....in a covered carport. I have thought it would be good to have out on the boat while I am bottom fishing, but the only dry place is on top of the console, which does not have a lot of free space to set the unitl. I am also worried that the strong magnets in the speakers would mess with the compass.

I only get to use the boat a few weeks a year, so I have not bothered to install a stereo. However, if I was to attempt the project, I would do a marine amp inside the console, a cord to the Ipod (waterproof housing) and box speakers under the gunwales.

Buena suerte,

T-Bro

Hello, I like the look of your leaning post. I just bought a used 1801 and am thinking about the same thing. was wondering if the guy that made yours would be receptive to making another one and would you mind telling what you paid for yours. Thanks, Gman

The fabricator's name is David Freire and his e-mail is [email protected]. He is in Miami and I think the post was $700 and it cost me $100 to have it shipped to Martha's Vineyard.

This is a huge improvement to the boat. It is sturdy enough that I can stand on the foot rest and see fish farther away than if I was leaning on the cooler seat.

Another good option is :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Neptune- ... enameZWD1V

This looks like a pretty good deal. I think you would have to pay extra for the back rest and I dont like the soft bag, but it might work for your needs.

Buena suerte,

T-Bro

T-Bro....Thanks for the reply. I did get in touch with him and now waiting for mine. I went with the bigger one, 36" across, thought it might be easier to sit two on the seat. I like the look of this Post better than any other, more expensive ones. Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any problem reaching the steering wheel if you sit in the seat? OK, One stock Parker cooler seat for sale!

Sitting on the leaning post puts me in a fine position to see out the windshield of the 1801. Unlike the stock seat, I can sit down and drive with no loss of vision.

I have also found that standing on the foot rest and holding on to the bar that sits atop the console allows me to see farther (due to the higher elevation). This is a good position when I am looking for birds working a school of bait or fish.

The post I got was the same width as the console, which is what David recommended. I can sit there with my kid or another adult just fine, but the extra 3" should not make yours too wide either. It also might allow you to fit a bigger cooler under the post.

Best regards,

Todd

Back