Left the dock … and heading for home

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
My friends,

I write this with a heavy heart indeed, for my Father passed away.

That is why my Classic Parker private message (PM) in-box is chock full and I’ve been neglecting getting back to CP’rs who have emailed me, PM’d me with questions, or have sent orders for burgees, or decals, et al. No tears or sympathies are needed … for he had a great life, and I was truly lucky to have him with us for so long.

Rather, I want this post to be a celebration of life. Early on he taught me what the ‘painter’ was (a bow line to a dinghy or small skiff) and the ‘bitter’ end (free-standing portion) of the ‘line’ (a piece cut for a specific use from a hank of rope). He’d buy an older boat that needed a loving owner and he’d go at it with his 4 boys (no sisters); adding new planks, replacing the stuffing box, putting in ‘sister ribs’, or tightening up the fastening … whatever was needed to make his boat safe and seaworthy. He’s also throw the 4 of us under the hull, when it was stored on a wooden cradle, to paint the bottom. I think we had barely 8” to squeeze in between the wood cradle and the bottom … and we couldn’t come out for lunch until our assigned sector of the hull was completely painted!

His boats were always aptly named the ’Four Buoys’ and I have many pictures of the 4 of us sitting across the ‘poopdeck’ (stern washboard on a downeast boat) as we grew up threw the years from young pups we started out as, to hopefully the sane, honest, and sound men who are worthy of being 'his' sons. And he sure ingrained boating in all 4 of us, as I think between us we have 16 or more boats, skiffs, and dingies and at least 12 'hungry' OBs to feed.

He taught us the love of “Messin’ about in Boats”, how to use our hands, and (hopefully) how to use our heads ;) ! He used to say that quip about how ‘God doesn’t deduct from one’s lifespan the time spent fooling around on boats. Well, that must be true, for he made it to 90-years old and was incredibly active until he suffered a bad fall last August that ultimately precipitated his demise.

For years I have tried to prepare myself to lose my Dad … but nothing on this earth could ever prepare me to lose my best friend. He'll always be with me on those long runs offshore into the rising sun or those wistful runs 'home' as the waning sun fades into the red sky that dominates the horizon.

Stay close to you and yours. Yours in Classic Parker,

Dale

Not knowing your dad or you personally I have to say that after reading such a touching eulogy from a son that it is truly my loss for having not known him.

Dale - Please accept my condolences as well as the rest of my family. You and your family are in our thoughts. I am sure your father will be with you in spirit everytime you step foot aboard the "Miss Teak".

Brad

Dale, deeply sorry for your loss but.........

From you eulogy and description of your father I feel Like I knew him. :D
I'm sure most of us here on CP can say they know or knew someone like him and 90 ain't to shabby!!! May we all be so fortunate!!!!!!!

Tonight I'll raise my glass to Dale's Dad and celebrate his life.

Please accept my condolences. You and your family are in our thoughts. Just stay strong and all will be very well.

Dale:

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your Dad definitely passed on part of himself in you. His legacy will continue for many, many years.

Dale - You have my condolences. He is with you today and for the rest of your life, as you are as he shaped you. Hang in there.

Dale,

Know that your father's presence will always be with you and that he will dream with you. God Bless.

Dale, I'm very sorry to hear about your dads passing.
I know he had a particularly difficult time since his fall and at least now he is at peace.

What do you want to bet that he's already started working on a project boat now that he is able to do so once again?

When my mom was alive, she would spend all day surf fishing... sometimes catching, and sometime not.
My dad says she never got tired of sitting on the beach all day, and he would always wear out before she did.

Mom used to say that after she died she would be "swimming with the fishes"...
To this day when I go out fishing, I ask her to send a few of her friends my way for a little C&R. :wink:

Hang on to those memories Dale... Sounds like you have a lot of good ones.

Aw Dale.

I am so sorry. My father is my best friend, with my brother a close second. He sounds like a great man, and he has created a great man, one who takes the high road always and who brings people together, rather than splits them apart.

God bless you and give you stregnth enough to be sure that all the smiles push out the sadness.

Dale,
Sorry to hear about the lost of your dad, but from the sound of it, he will be with you in your memories. God bless, we will keep you and yours in our prayers.

Dale, I am sorry for you loss and I understand your feeling. I lost my dad in 87 and i miss him more now than ever.

Cheerios

Latest posts

Back