Life jackets for kids

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRunner

Reaction score
My two grandsons will be making their first outing on the boat in a few weeks. Ages 3 and 1 1/2. What brand and type life preserver/jacket do you guys recommend? Besides the obvious concern for safety, is there one brand out there that is comfortable enough for a kid to wear it without fussing?

Mustang Survival makes some of the best safety equipment IMO. Check out their web site for some ideas. For the very young finding something that is "comfortable" that they don't mind wearing is going to be a challenge. I just purchased my now 13 yr old a class 2 Auto Inflate type vest that he no longer complains about wearing. Unfortunately, I don't think the little ones can wear that type until they weigh more. Good luck with your search.

Ditto on the Mustang. The best thing is the handle on the collar. Can literally grab a kid and pull out of harm's way. My guys LIVED in their Mustangs around the water until the age of 5 or so. Then they started wearing them only when needed (actually on the boat). At eight or nine we went to Lotus brand competitive sailing vests. Those were "cool" and had no issues with compliance.

At age 3 and younger they are still pretty compliant. Just make them wear a life jacket on the boat. Period, no exception. One big thing is that I always wear my life jacket. Set a good example. My grandkids are now 13 and 8, it's just part of the activity. Of course having a comfortable/cool life jacket helps. But just make it part of the activity and set the example. If you don't have one, you need an inflatable. Makes it easy to set a good example. :>)

Back