Live-bait tank option for 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
I am looking to utilizing my swim ladder platform as a bait-tank platform and am asking for any input. I would only use this setup for a few months a year to keep small spots for flounder fishing, the rest of the year I use bait that can survive without water circulation. I am opposed to drilling holes in my hull so I am thinking of using a piece of copper pipe, as a water pick-up and running it down the platform strut then bending it to face forward just under the hull. I will tie tubing into it via a hosebarb fitting with a regulator valve. I can then run the tubing over the top of a 5-gallon bucket, that will sit on the platform, with scupper slots at the top to allow for water circulation. Granted that circulation would only work during forward movement of my boat, I will have to replenish via buckets during drifting or use a remote pump.

I tried something like this a long time ago and in theory it sounds reasonable. My experience was less than effective. I could not keep the curved pipe in line therefore water would not flow. It also sprayed a tremendous amount of water back up and into the boat from hitting the tube. Why not invest in a Rule transom mounted pump with bracket and just take the pump off when not needed. The little plastic bracket would stay mounted and you could just clip in the pump when you needed it.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/38619-tra ... 00gph.html

After further review, I think I might actually install a 3/4" seacock w/ pump and run a line from there to a "Y" for a washdown as well as a water supply for bait well. It would require some plumbing but I wonder if using my port-side jumper seat for a baitwell would work?

I much prefer the seacock pump option. It is cleaner and will increase the value of your boat. I don't think the jumpseat as a bait well is a very smart idea. In the corner of it there is a blocked off area open at the top to the bilge. This is so you can run wiring and rigging. You could feed your hoses up there and still put the tank on the ladder step.

Agree on the jumpseat, not only would I have to close up the holes, the square corners are not live-bait friendly. I would consider running my discharge line to a quick-disconnect on the inboard side of the port jumpseat. I could then run a line to the ladder platform. Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts

Back