Live vicariously through my wallet

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalm-c

Reaction score
OK.
Imagine this....
Your brand new 2320 arrives at the dealer tomorrow.
You have been working through your shopping list, but know you must be missing something.....so your turn to the guys of Classic Parker.

What should I be buying, what am I over looking?
What would be at the top of your list?
What maintanence items should I have right from the get go?
Should I have a motor support for trailering?

What should I be looking for when/before taking delivery?

BTW, yesterday I finished a 3 day offshore fishing school which was awesome.....I learned a great deal, all while catching fish!
I will post some fish pics soon, and will be sure to spam the forums with pictures of the new boat asap.

Congratulations!

Downrigger or 2
fishing tackle
credit card to fill up w/gas
cast net
4x4 block, works great for engine support

:D

Let me go through the simple stuff needed for the first ride home and splash:

Will you trailer? If no the skip these.

1. Proper hitch, ball size.
2. proper harness hookup.
3. Wheel bearing grease.
4. Proper straps (some dealers will tell you that you don't need them... make them give them to you)
5. Spare tire/wheel
6. Proper tow vehicle

The way my boat sits on the trailer I trailer mine with the engine down and I've got plenty of clearance.

For first ride:

1. Muffs for the engine.... start up at home on the muffs to make sure engine runs before taking brand new boat to ramp.
2. Ring Free... not free at all..... Ask if they have a. put any gas in the boat and how much (make them feel guilty and put some gas in it) b. have they put Ring Free in gas.
3. Anchor!!!!!!!! Do not leave the dock without it!
4. Fire Extiguisher/flares/pfd's
5. Must have a VHF radio even if it is a handheld.
6. buy an extra plug or two to keep on hand.... (put plug in before launch is how I'm told to do it)
7. maps, gps
8. Ditch bag with all supplys needed in case you wind up in the water... (fire?)

Those are some of the basics that come to the surface.

Have a great time!

Richard

all good answers, thank you.
yes she will live on a trailer, in the short term anyway....

I do have all the basic safety stuff, with the exception of an anchor, which will be bought prior to arrival at the dealer lot.

However, I will admitt I was thinking more along the lines of toys/accesories.....

So com'on...brand new boat and the admiral has given you a budget of say $5k.

I am looking for dream electronics, fishing gear, Parker options and the like.....

Electronics - start shopping at http://www.boemarine.com

VHF, I highly recommend the Standard Horizon Matrix. Best VHF for the $$$ Powerboat reports ranks the SH the best too.

Electronics, I would look to some of the other guys here who have a 2320 as space is very limited.

Fishing gear- we need to know what you fish for and how you fish..

Here is my list of essentials (that didn't already come with it) that I am getting for my first Parker

Anchor
Engine block "Wedge"
Dock lines
Boat pole/hook
Spare Trailer Tire
Ratcheting Tie downs
Spare tool kit
Extra Fuses
and of course $$$$

Hi kalm-c,

Good luch with the new boat.

I feel RADAR is a must if you get fog where you are boating. I am very happy with a small Furuno mini-dome that I have had for 9 years. This is something I would have the dealer install unless you are very handy.

If you are planning on running offshore I would recommend an EPIRB and maybe a Liferaft in soft case.

If you are going to be fishing wrecks, I would go with a Northstar 952 chartplotter. This is something I feel is easy to install yourself.

I was able to squeeze a Raymarine DS600X and a Garmin 192C on my dash. The dash is very small, so you’re limited with electronics. Let me know if you need any advice on anything. I’m always up to something on my boat and I’m learning a lot as I move on.

I also just installed a Water Witch BA200 bilge monitor/high water alarm, Marinco power port, dual Johnson 2200GPH bilge pumps, x4 chrome thru-hulls, and LED cockpit lighting. Pics to follow soon. 8)

Dom

9484dsc02649_small_268.jpg

GPS - don't leave the dock without it. Must have item.

A good depth/fish finder. After 30 years, still shopping for the right one...

Autopilot - if you spend a lot of time on your boat, you will learn to love it. Expensive, but more than a luxury item.

"Suicide knob" for the steering wheel. Its one of the simple little things that, once you get it and use it, you will wonder how you ever did without it.

A high quality VHF radio and antenna. Some day you may need to call for help.

Went to the dealer lot to check her out today.....Yippee!
Dealer needs to clean her and do what ever they need to do to the motor, so we won't take her out until Tues. a.m. @ 9.
Time has slowed all the more :cry:

Very glad I have'nt bought any electronics yet....the dash has a new layout this year, and there is no(read zero, zilch, nada) space for anything flush mounted facing the helmsman.

To the right of the helm are the engine gauges and a nice set of old school looking morse controls.
To the left of the helm are all the electrical switches.

I got the secon d station, bulkhead mount, that's sporting the same Morse controls. This second station really completes the little toughie work boat look!

I suspected my only disappointment would be the dash and now that's confirmed. Also suspected and disappointing is that the rear and base of the dash are open. While making things very accessible, it looks extremely unfinshed from the vee berth, and will surely present an unresistable temptation for my little boy who is 2.5 yrs. old and thinks no means go and yes means go faster.....

Was pleased to see the door to the pilot house has been redesigned with a piece of aluminum channel along the latch edge, signifigantly reinforcing what was a flimsy design.

I had the boat shipped with a 30 gal. live well loose/unmounted. It's the same live well they use for the center console seat/leaning post bases.

I am very seriously considering mounting the live well in the center of the cockpit, perhaps with a leaning post top as well.....need to spend more time pondering this move, as there will be no easy way to turn back once installed.

I am beside myself with anticipation and mental obsession(bill w. style, if ya know what I mean)

Have been on the shopping spree of a life time with lots of rods/reels/outriggers/gaff holders/bait tables/fish bag on the way.

I have decided I need to go to a marine electronics place to talk to someone who knows whats up with all the options out there these days.....I hate to do it but will probably walk out of the store and go save a few bucks online.

I now know from experience how annoying it is when people talk about all this cool stuff and don't post any pics. I'll admit to a certain amount of self loathing over the fact that I am acting in the same fashion, but feel I still have a shot at redeming myself once she's really mine, and I have a few moments alone to photo document her from stem to stern...
So stay tuned.

BTW-have several copies of Chapman's, a hand held vhf from the old dink, and a small Garmin gps/plotter that will get us going on the right course for the time being....in fact given the amount of space for new electronics, I may just keep the little gps.....did fine for me on the old 33' carver i was running out of Seattle, so......."look Honey, I just saved like $1200!"

Back