Live well bait pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J V

Reaction score
I want to mount my live well pump on the outside of my transom I was told that it will pick up water at high speed. True or False ???

What do you mean "pick up water"?

I have mine mounted as follows and it works fine at any speed.

Attachments

• Baitwell Pump (Medium).jpg
    Baitwell Pump (Medium).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 477
J V":1evx98ka said:
I want to mount my live well pump on the bottom of my transom I was told that it will pick up water at high speed. True or False ???
'True' if mounted on the OUTSIDE, but if mounted on the inside ...

There are a couple of considerations when mouting inside the boat. (1) Put a scooped strainer on the bottom of the hull surface to a bronze seacock - this is a MUST have item! (2) Make sure to use a quality pump, as the water being forced through the scoop when up on plane has been known to blow lesser pumps apart. (3) Make sure to ADD a high-water alarm into the bilge. (4) Only use smooth-bore hoses.

Double clamp all the below-waterline hose fittings. I use strictly AWAB clamps on my boat.

I have the same pump as TheOtherLine. Works great. This will be my 3rd season with it.

And I think you're talking about those pumps that mount on the transom. Don't get one of those if you keep your boat in a wet slip. It'll probably get fouled up with growth pretty quickly.

I use one of these 3/4" bronze underwater thru-hull fittings from Groco without a scoop. The special cutout causes it to pick up plenty of water, and it has a much lower profile than a regular scoop. Less drag and less chance of damaging it. It was $13.50 directly from Groco.

hsth.jpg

DaleH":529p6pq2 said:
(3) Make sure to ADD a high-water alarm into the bilge. (4) Only use smooth-bore hoses.

Hmmm. I don't have a high water alarm...... there's another project.

Smooth bore hoses......I didn't do this install. How do I know if I have smooth bore hoses or not?

...and it looks like I need to add another hose clamp to the outflow hose.

TheOtherLine":2x6a0ues said:
Smooth bore hoses......I didn't do this install. How do I know if I have smooth bore hoses or not?
Just put your finger into them ... if the grooves are on the INSIDE - THROW them away. Some 'spiral-looking' hose (typically clear with black spirals) actually has the grooving (to make the turns without crimping) on the outside, THAT is what you want.

TheOtherLine":o7pokjct said:
Hmmm. I don't have a high water alarm...... there's another project.
For a High Water Alarm see this post here!

One other tip ... I too use AWAB hose clamps, but some unit barbs are TOO short to effectively get 2 of them on there. In that case, I will use the most expensive standard hose clamp I can, but will use TWO of them. And then DO NOT Put them on the same way ... have one screw so you tighten it from the left (or up) and then tighten the other from the right (or down). Two clamps oriented opposite each other will hold MUCH tighter than 2 oriented in the same direction.

AWAB clamp shown, note how the band is NOT pefforated:
316SS%20Hose%20Clamp.gif

Back