Live Well Pump, Fuses Frying

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt Shaker

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

My live well pump is burning up the inline fuse at the pump itself. The original fuse was 5 Amps, so I replaced it with the same. The fuse burns up as soon as the switch is turned on. The wiring at the switch appears to be in order. The boat is less than a year old and have probably used the live well 3-4 times. Any suggestions?

Salt Shaker

Off the top of my head, 5A seems light for a water pump.

However, if it is the corect rating, the pump motor may be bad and drawing too much current. I know you said it's barely used but things happen.

From your posts, seems like you have a new 21 Parker. If so, why are there "add-on" inline fuses? Everything should be fused at the electrical panel in the console. Look around in the bilge and look for mis-matches. I wonder if the dealer "Jury-Rigged" your livewell. Is the pump wired directly to the battery? I have never seen a Parker with various inline fuses scattered around in the boat.

Did the pump ever work? I would think a 5a fuse would be too light. 20a should be closer. At any rate, get rid of any troublesome inline fuses you have and wire to panel.

I have to agree 5A seems wrong. If that's the way your boat came, listen to FF and get rid of the inline fuses. Wire it up correctly from the panel. There's probably a "how to" thread somewhere already on this board to help you out.

Thanks for the ideas. The pump worked well several times. On my last offshore trip, it fried when I flipped the switch. 5A seemed a bit light to me as well, but I'll check with the dealer to see if they are the ones that installed the pump. However, I ordered the boat with the live pump option, so I'm pretty certain that Parker installed it at the factory during production.

Salt Shaker
'07 21SE, Yamaha F150
Florida Keys

Well, I jumped into this without looking closely at the wires. There is a black and brown coming out of the live well pump , and two reds going into the housing that holds the fuse. However, this fuse gets fried as soon as I flip the baitwell switch. If I figure out here how to atttach a photo properly, you'll see what I mean. Thanks

SS

Attachments

• P1600049.JPG
    P1600049.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,663
That isn't 2 red leads, but the 1 red POWER lead 'cut' to put the in-line fuse in place. And that is a TERRIBLE example of what not to do IMHO, as that fuse holder is NOT protected from the elements.

A simple resistance check will prove what I suspect and that is that corrosion has built up in the wiring of that pump as the fuse is exposed to the humid/moist bilge environment. I can't believe some of the wiring I see on boats used in a saltwater environment and if that came out of the Parker factory and if it turns out your wiring is indeed corroded in a 1-year old boat ... then SHAME on Parker for rigging it in that way! If that is what it truly is, then I am terribly disappointed.

FWIW, whenever I rig ANY power lead in the bilge or even any connection:

• 1 Apply dielectric grease to the tinned wires
    2 Slip a minimum 3" piece of adhesive-line heatshrink onto one leg of the wire
    3 Crimp the connector with calibrated ratchet crimpers
    4 Apply 3M 5200 to the ends of the connector to further seal them
    5 Let it 'dry' for an hour or two
    6 Slip the ad-lined-HS centered over the connector and seal witha heatgun

Easy to do, foolproof, bilgeproof and will last for the LIFE of the boat!

Salt Shaker":1cz9v6px said:
However, I ordered the boat with the live pump option, so I'm pretty certain that Parker installed it at the factory during production.
Salt Shaker
'07 21SE, Yamaha F150
Florida Keys

According to Parker's website, livewell is/was standard on '06 and '07 21 and 23 SE's. Hope your dealer didn't charge you extra. :( Your Parker should have come with a wiring diagram. Does it show the "unique" livewell wiring and fuse? Although Parker could have changed brands, I have never seen a Parker that didn't have Rule pumps (as your bilge pump). Does your livewell have light in it, I think all factory set-ups do?

Looks like your dealer has a lot to explain.

BTW, your 21SE and 150-4 looks like the perfect combo for Keys fishing! Seems to me like an excellent alternative to a mission specific bay boat.

almost forgot: While you're repairing/replaceing, go ahead and get rid of that livewell pump. Switch over to a Rule "cartridge type", and buy an extra cartridge. Parker uses the 500gph, I switched over to the 700gph. This will allow you to replace the "guts" on the go. I wire my livewell pump with quick to exchange wire nuts. Nothing like losing a livewell full of bait during a tourney.

Your picture shows a shureflo cartridge pump. The impeller on these pumps occasionally bind on the housing that the cartridge sits in. I suggest you remove the pump cartridge from the housing and then turn on the pump (with a new fuse in). If your impeller does not turn you need a new cartridge.

To remove the cartridge first remove the locking screw that prevents the blue cartridge collar from turning. Then unscrew the collar and pop out the cartridge.

Good luck.

In the past, I used to leave the seacock open when not using the boat, but the mud daubers would crawl up into the impeller area of the livewell pump which would cause all sorts of symptoms from blown fuses, to loud erratic pumping.

I bought a plunger from BW that goes over the raw water scoop. Now I rinse the raw water system, let drain, and shut off the seacock. No more livewell pump troubles.

jim

All,

I spoke with one of the engineers at Parker today. The factory did in fact install the shureflo pump during production in late '06 as standard equipment. They are back to the Rule pumps, so, upon request, they are shipping me a Rule 1100 with everything I need for the swap out (outstanding customer service on this I must say!). I am still concerned, as DALEH and FishFactory noted, about the location of this fuse in the bilge. I may work on a better location for the fuse. In any event, thank you all for your help.

If I run into any snags on the install, I'll post!

FishFactory, the 21SE is great down here. It has seen it's first Sailfish, 24" Yellowtail Snapper, cooler full of lobster, Blackfin, numerous mahi, and a busy stone crab season since delivery last October. The boat is great for backcountry and offshore down here. The Admiral has staked her claim on the port bow gunwale cap. Apparently, it makes for some good tanning. I'll try to get some pics posted in the fishing section soon....of the catch that is!

Salt Shaker
'07 21SE, F150

DALE H,

How do I insert a photo of the boat under the Author section of the post, as you have so successfully accomplished?

SS

Salt Shaker":xi9u2h9z said:
FishFactory, the 21SE is great down here. It has seen it's first Sailfish, 24" Yellowtail Snapper, cooler full of lobster, Blackfin, numerous mahi, and a busy stone crab season since delivery last October. The boat is great for backcountry and offshore down here. The Admiral has staked her claim on the port bow gunwale cap. Apparently, it makes for some good tanning. I'll try to get some pics posted in the fishing section soon....of the catch that is!

Salt Shaker
'07 21SE, F150

A big ole' "Thumbs Up" for you! We're in Islamorada every July and Jan., looks like I need some fishing lessons. 24" Yellowtail, nice. Looks like you got the livewell working.

For those of you who haven't tried it, nothing like chummin' up a school of ballyhoo behind boat and seeing a sailfish cut thru 30' behind boat. :wink:

This is the pump I have in my new 2100CC.

That plugged fitting at the bottom, I presume it can be used to feed a washdown pump? I might want to install a WD pump. What's involved? Is there a wiring diagram in existence that covers this on the Parkers?

Thanks!

hakr":3bxn92pz said:
This is the pump I have in my new 2100CC.

That plugged fitting at the bottom, I presume it can be used to feed a washdown pump? I might want to install a WD pump. What's involved? Is there a wiring diagram in existence that covers this on the Parkers?

Thanks!

Your dealer should have supplied the wiring diagram in the beige "Parker" owner's packet. Note, you might already have the switch and breaker for it in console. If not, call dealer they can fax it to you.

You're right, 2 outlets on live well pump. One outlet feeds livewell and the other feeds optional washdown. I believe Parker uses a ParMax pump, has the pressure switch, comes with fittings and spray handle. You'll need some hose and the "faucet fitting". Avoid the pre-coiled hoses as they are small diameter and have been known to overheat w/d pumps blowing fuses, burning up pumps.

IMO, the w/d is definately worth the trouble. After years of using a 5 gallon bucket, I really like w/d.

Dale ....what is your thoughts on soldering instead of crimping??

Ray

Back