Long run wreck search

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Blow

Reaction score
This past Monday I made the longest run in my 21 SE. I was doing a little research to find several wrecks I have fished with others before but never in my boat. Found all the spots I was looking for. I caught black sea bass, trigger fish, hake and bluefish. Nothing big but the dreaded conger eels. I also caught a crazy 2 pound bluefish that was on the bottom in 715 feet of water. i went out of Rudee inlet VA Beach. A little bumpy going out but cleared up nice. Put in a full day left about 5:30 and got back in about 8:30. Ran 165 miles total burned 56 gallons. The picture of my boat wake is leaving the Norfolk Canyon. I have confidence in my boat, maintain my boat and study the weather before I go out.

I think you're really pushing your luck! 21 feet is very small to be 80 miles offshore. I have confidence in my boat too but up here in New England the weather can go to hell very quickly, regardless of any forecast, making for a treacherous ride home, been there done that!

Wes, great catch, well done. If it were easy everyone would do it. Welcome to the selective scrutiny on CP. I think Ive seen that black Suzuki here locally. I will pm you my cell give me a shout if youd like closer numbers from VAB and MUCH closer numbers from NC.

r,

The wrecks you were fishing were much more substantial boats than your Parker 21. I'm sure CP would be much less congratulatory if there was a mishap. Doesn't anyone read CG Search and Rescue? Tell us, how is your boat equipped? single / twin power? kicker motor? Liferaft? EPIRB? All these things are std. equipment for recreational offshore fishing. BTW, you don't need to go offshore to catch 5 lb. sea bass...

TWOBOATER":2ll6ddw5 said:
The wrecks you were fishing were much more substantial boats than your Parker 21. I'm sure CP would be much less congratulatory if there was a mishap. Doesn't anyone read CG Search and Rescue? Tell us, how is your boat equipped? single / twin power? kicker motor? Liferaft? EPIRB? All these things are std. equipment for recreational offshore fishing. BTW, you don't need to go offshore to catch 5 lb. sea bass...

Not to stir the pot...( I see this post is 8 days old now...) Congratulations on an awesome day. If confident in the weather, its typical for me to run 50-60 miles off shore in my 21 as well (2120 SC). I have a single F150 motor, meticulously maintained. 100 gallon fuel, extra water and ice, food, all lifeguard equip, epirb, 2 vhf's, ditch bag fully loaded w/ radio/gps/ handheld vhf, water/ food, first aid. etc, etc..

Maybe for twoboater it would be irresponsible, but its an individual decision based on knowledge of the ocean, equipment, weather forecast, a host of variables. To generalize is incorrect. However, I agree it would be irresponsible for many boaters/ fisherman I know to run that far. Others, just another day and happy to return.

Back