Looking to buy 23' Pilothouse needs work--help w/ choice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deshet1980

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a 23' Pilot house the boat is a 1994 Model I believe. $7000. The motor is a mercury 2 stroke. Boat has always been owned by a company.

It needs a new fuel tank but comes with the tank. Aluminum
The Pedestal boxes in the cabin are soft and the owner says that they need to be rebuilt, the floors in the cabin are soft in places and he says the floors need to be replaced in the cabin. I have not seen the boat but I always wanted a pilothouse

I don't have much fiber glass experience but the guy says he believes the repair cost is about $4000. I thinking I can do some myself.

I thought that Parkers were extremely solid is this from abuse or from it's age. I know the price is pretty good but I don't want to get in to far over my head.

Were the floors in 1994 incased in fiberglass around the plywood. Should I also be worried about stringers

My 1980 Topaz shows no signs of soft floors and it is almost 30 years old.

I am in the VA Beach area and I know alot around can do the work I just don't want to spend $4000 for floor work.

Thanks

we have a 1995 and (knock on wood) have none of these problems. there are also some much older boats on this forum, and likewise, they are fine. that, combined with the fact that the engine is not a stock option, suggests to me that this boat has been heavily used and possibly abused, especially if it is a company boat. i would get the fiberglass work independently appraised, as $4000 bucks for a tank install and other work sounds a bit low. pay special attention to the transom. this boat is defiantely a candidate for a comprehensive survey. but, on the same token, it could be a tremendous deal. good luck to you.

Thanks for the information it may be to big of a project. But I can't imagine the glass work around the tank cost that much. I can install the tank myself.

The cabin is what I am not sure about.

We have a lot of guys around that do glass work on the side. Once they get me started I can probably finish it.

Do you think the boat may have sunk because of all the work required.

Also is a 1988 25 Pilothouse Sol western the same overall hull as today's 2520 Pilthouse.......I looked at a 2520 once and I think it was about a 30' boat .....I think 29 to be exact.

Does Parker do any repair work at thier factory?

Thanks

I think that maybe you are getting in over your head with this one.
Why not just get a surveyor as was suggested to inspect the boat and check the engine? This way you have a better idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Major repairs are very time consuming. If you want to pay, all well and good. But if you elect to do the work yourself, be prepared to spend countless hours working and spending a lot of money.

Visit www.classicmako.com to get an idea of what is entailed in a project of this type. You will be amazed as to what you may find without a proper survey.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Tom

deshet1980":1lt8r7p6 said:
Also is a 1988 25 Pilothouse Sol western the same overall hull as today's 2520 Pilthouse.......

A 1988 Sou`wester hull would be similar to the current 2520 MV except that it would be a 14 degree deadrise hull.
The current 2520 MV is a 16 degree deadrise and the DV is a 21 degree deadrise.

deshet1980":2hohrdu8 said:
Do you think the boat may have sunk because of all the work required.

That was my first thought...but not because of the amount of work, more the location of it. Pilothouse floor and pedestal boxes under the seats aren't areas that traditionally see a lot of exposure to moisture, even in an open back configuration.

If you choose to take this one and do the work yourself, come up with estimates on the amount of time and $$$ it will take. Then plan on 4 times the amount of time and twice the $$$.... Trust me on that one! :cry:

Back