Lower unit making a clunking noise

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markman03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wednesday I was returning to the marina and I started losing RPM's. I changed the 10 micron filter thinking it may need it, Started the engine and the lower unit started clunking when I put it into gear. It made it back and a little of the clunk was still noticeable. 3 weeks ago I nicked a rock with my prop causing minor damage. I am wondering if it could of cause this clunking. Pulled the boat and it is being checked out right now.

markman03":2kdu48ea said:
Wednesday I was returning to the marina and I started losing RPM's. I changed the 10 micron filter thinking it may need it, Started the engine and the lower unit started clunking when I put it into gear. It made it back and a little of the clunk was still noticeable. 3 weeks ago I nicked a rock with my prop causing minor damage. I am wondering if it could of cause this clunking. Pulled the boat and it is being checked out right now.
You may have chipped a tooth on a gear or something? USUALLY, it takes a pretty hard impact to cause lower unit damage but you never know. The first thing I would do is drain the lower unit oil and check for metal shavings and go from there. Sorry for your bad luck buddy! Hope it turns out to be as painless as possible!

markman03":j2j43x2q said:
Well that is what happened to me. The shaft was bent and the seals were ruined. When the lower plug was pulled it looked like a chia pet.
Sorry to hear that. The good news is, if you buy a reman or good used unit it's a pretty easy job. Make sure you put a new water pump on the unit upon install and you should be good to go!

Back