Maintenance Question .

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
What do you guy’s use to maintain snaps and zippers?

I just uncovered the Sea Monster and was putting on the canvass and noticed that some of the snaps have some minor decoration and could use some attention.

My zippers are good because they are new and I would like to keep them that way. What do you suggest?

Thanks
Mike

StarBrite has a zipper and snap protector/lube that we've used on our old CHawk's canvas. Worked pretty well. Its like $8 for a little tube.
I've always wondered if chapstick would work, but never tried it.

I dont have any snaps or zippers on my Parker but I used Vaseline on my last boat with good results. Don't over do it. One application every 6 months or so. :wink:

I've heard of some folks using a cake of soap. No petroleum products to damage plastic and rubber.

I use silicone grease on things like this. Won't hurt rubber (infact a preservative) and stays on for a long time. Don't get it close to anything you plan on painting.

Auto stores carry trannslucent di-electric silcone grease. A little goes a ling way.

EDGEWATER":28y6rfqn said:
I've heard of some folks using a cake of soap. No petroleum products to damage plastic and rubber.

I use silicone grease on things like this. Won't hurt rubber (infact a preservative) and stays on for a long time. Don't get it close to anything you plan on painting.

Auto stores carry trannslucent di-electric silcone grease. A little goes a ling way.

You are correct, It was not Vaseline but di-electric grease that I used (did it the day I was changing spark plugs and had it handy). I figured Vaseline would be easier to get but is a petrolium product. Thanks for pointing it out :D

As far as zippers go, you can purchase a product called "zipper wax"...it's a stick type product that you rub on the zipper. Most canvas shops sell it, or dives shops sell it as well for wet suits. Works VERY well.

On buttons, most canvas shops are using and recommending the new WD40 smart pen. It allows you to get the lubricant exactly where you need it, without excess.

You can also use a product called SuperLube. It's a clear grease with PTFE that works awesome on a number of things. Comes in tubes, catridges(also good for wheel bearings and doesn't throw black or red grease up) or aerosol. Not cheap, but probably the highest quality lubricant you can buy.

sparky":1fketthm said:
StarBrite has a zipper and snap protector/lube that we've used on our old CHawk's canvas. Worked pretty well. Its like $8 for a little tube.

Yep. Starbrite Snap and Zipper Lube works well.
I also use it to lube my hatch seals to keep them supple and watertight.

Image-2ADFAE23E9A111D9.jpg

Good ol' pariffin wax works great. I use it on all my foul weather gears zippers and snaps as well. It works great on table-saw fences too!

Latest posts

Back