Marblehead Mayhem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-j

Reaction score
For those of you not from the northeast, we have been experiencing one of the best summers ever, both in terms of weather as well as fishing. This weekend was no different.

We have had a west wind the past week which blew the top layer of water off shore, dropping the water temp from high 60's to as low as 54 on Saturday. That's a 10 to 12 degree drop in a week! With that, the blues have disappeared, and the macks have come back for a bit.

Sunday early we loaded up on macks and went looking for feeds. We found one off Marblehead that ws about a half mile long and a quarter mile wide that went on for three hours! We had three guys on board and we often had triple hook-ups with one guy using livies, one on a plug, and the last on a fly. we lost count at some point, but landed over 40 fish, none less than 26 inches, and most in the thirties, even on the fly. I caught the attached 40 on macks, and a 34 on a fly with my 8 weight! We kept two fish in the 28 to 30 range and set the rest free to breed and get caught by our friends in the Chesapeake!

The best part was that there were no blues at all mixed in the feed. No lost lures or half eaten schoolies. What a day!

Attachments

• 40 inch striper (Small).JPG
    40 inch striper (Small).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 367
Fantastic!! I know the last couple of years the Mass area had less than stellar years on stripers. I think a lot of it had to do with the cold coastal water temps. This year the coastal water has been very warm even hitting near 80 off of south jersey.

I hope when you released them, you put them over the side of the boat facing south 8) :lol: (we miss them and would to see them back here - you can keep any bluefish though)

I'm pissed. Buzzards Bay and the Cape are getting screwed by the warm weather. Water temps in the 80's in the harbors, and Buzzards Bay has nothing but small blues and schoolies (who aren't biting except at night). I know the hudson hasn't been good either, too warm.

I'll have to get up to the North Shore and see how we make out.

those days keep us going .... nice job on the releases.

Between Pig Rocks and Egg Rock (off Swampscott). The feed was enormous! BTW, since the three day nor'easter a couple of weeks ago we haven't seen any surface feeds. Hoping it starts up again before the migration south!

sparky":1loysdlk said:
I'm pissed. Buzzards Bay and the Cape are getting screwed by the warm weather. Water temps in the 80's in the harbors, and Buzzards Bay has nothing but small blues and schoolies (who aren't biting except at night). I know the hudson hasn't been good either, too warm.

I'll have to get up to the North Shore and see how we make out.

Thanks Sparky. I thought it was me. :lol: I'm fishing out of Westport (Buzzards Bay) and it has been less than stellar this year.

Looks like Marblehead is the place to be!

Back