Margate, New Jersey - weakfish

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

Staff member
Reaction score
This weekend I had the pleasure of having JPG1969 (Jim) and his father Leon join me and my seven year old son Seth for some Weakfishing. I was fortunate enough to meet Jim from this site over the winter. I promised him that i would give him a shout as soon as the weakies made a showing. Well they did! Leon was kind enough to make the drive to Delaware Bay on Friday to purchase fresh shedders. We met at the boat at 6:30 am after getting Seth of healthy breakfast of Coke and Sweet Tarts. By 7:30 am during the incoming tide. the fish made a showing. By 12:30 we has 18 fish up to 23 inches in the box. To the mix we had a small flounder and several bluefish. It was a great day to be out with my son and two great guys. Thank you Jim and Leon for joining us.

Attachments

• Weakfish2007 001 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 001 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Weakfish2007 002 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 002 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Weakfish2007 003 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 003 (Small).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 235
Here are a few more pictures

Attachments

• Weakfish2007 007 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 007 (Small).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Weakfish2007 010 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 010 (Small).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Weakfish2007 011 (Small).jpg
    Weakfish2007 011 (Small).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 234
I'm not sure what is more impressive... the fish, or the fact that the whole crew is outfitted in white pimp boots. :D
...also known in these parts as Tilghman Island Tennis Shoes. 8)

Great report! :)

Brad's son Seth took us all to school and showed us how to catch those nice weakies. He put us all to shame! Thanks again, Brad, for making us feel at home. What a great day.

Kevin - The white shrimper boots are the real secret to catching and landing trophy fish. You can see in the pic that even young Seth had his on! He taught us about that little fishing tip.

Nice "weakfish". Amazing how much they look like our trout! :D

I am from the Virginia Penninusla and I always called Gray Trout "weakfish" and Speckled Trout "Specks". They all eat well whatever you call them but they don't necessarily freeze well.

I don't know, Brad...everything was the same as last week (location, tides, bait, fishermen) with one exception...Parker28 substituted for the real fisherman from last weekend (Seth). AND he brought bananas on board!

Nice work on the "weakies". I hope to get up there in the fall for them when they school up outside of townsends inlet.

We don't see them in those numbers up here in the Delaware Bay like we once did. Great catch... Good to see them . I also like the remarks about those Tighman Island Tennis Shoes.. :lol: I have to remember that one... we have our pairs in the cabin..

Polky - (as you well know) The Del Bay has ben very slow for weakies, so Brad called and graciously offered a trip and we jumped on it. It was sure nice to see a weakfish over 24" go into the net. Have you had any luck up off the Cohansey area for weakies this season? I'm on VHF 82 (lesa elaine) - give me a shout.

Hey Jim,

Only caught two this year.. Both lil' guys so I tossed them back in for next year.. That has been it. Been doin' really well with the stipers, flats and of course the blues but very slim with the weakies... Not like it was back in the 80's... WOW !

I'll give you a shout next time I'm out. One is on 16 and the other on the either the Bassbarn channel or 78. No big name on the side ...yet... look for the orange ball of the forward port rail... I'm usually around the wreck, stakes or just north of six...

Take care.. be safe... tight lines

Dave

Back