Marina Charges!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeD

Reaction score
Hey all,

We all know Marinas are a complete rip-off, especially here in NJ, but I thought I'd fish for some feedback: I winter stored this winter, and the boat was shrink wrapped. Winter flounder opened Easter Sunday, so I wanted to get in early. However, I've been busy with work and such. So, I asked the Marina to get the boat ready. I told them to paint the bottom, wax the top sides and commission the motor. I know these are things I can do myself, but given my circumstances, time was more important. Needless to say I get a hefty bill yesterday. I'm kinda ok with most of the charges, but they charged me $100 just to remove the wrap! Anyone ever hear of this?

After last fall when I had my 150 yammie winterized I learned to get everything in writting before anyone does anything. Sorry to state the obvious but I called this marina and got a winterization phone quote, it went up $20.00 when I dropped off and then an additional $40.00 when I went to pick up the boat. When I talked to the owner we agreed that they would remove $40.00 from the price. If I had gotten the original phone quote in writting I would have had a leg to stand on.

Yup. My dealer wanted to charge me the same $100 for removal and "recycling" of the shrink wrap. So I took 10 minutes, removed it, cut it up, folded it up and placed in in my own town's recycling.

Yea i can agree they are rip offs,but what are we going to do i rather lay few bucks out and then not have to worry about doing it when i get boat in water,I dont know what you pay for marina but i am at alittle over$2,000 for the season ,hope nutz is that!! Thats from april 15 to oct 15 and if you want to stay in longer you have to pay as i am going to do cause i want to stay in till late nov. or dec. i should have bought a marina instead of the boat i would be on top now!!!!HaHaHa

exactly why i require a trailer. store @ home, suck it up and do the work myself. used to keep a larger boat and paid $1000 winter rent for a patch of parking-lot 12'x34'. this was 15 yrs ago.
tough passion to pay for ......the price of boat addiction :roll:

Well i wish i had it like special K but i am in Brooklyn N.Y. and your lucky you get a parking spot on street,I am in the bar capital of Brooklyn so its tuff with parking!!!!

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times. All I know is that I for sure would not want to be engaged in a 'seasonal' business. That's why they need to charge $90-$110 per hour.

May not be 'fair' ... but it is as it is - res ipsa as we would say in Latin.

To me, part of the Classic Parker mission is to educate the owner so they can do some of these things themselves. This is NOT intended to cutout the dealers and service people, but rather, I firmly believe an educated and knowledgeable boat owner will far likely be a better boater and enjoy our pursuit longer that those that are subject to the $$ at every step.

Keith FDNY":1aaekg16 said:
i am at alittle over$2,000 for the season ,hope nutz is that!! Thats from april 15 to oct 15

I'm paying a third more for a month less up here in MA if it makes you feel any better :)

-- Tom

Now i feel much better!!!! I am opening a beer for you now!!!Cheers Mate!!! It is crazy but like dale said it is what it is!!!

I pay almost $2400 for my slip and you can keep it in for 12 months, plus we have a pool/hot tub (Open to Midnight Fri and Sat and 10pm the other days), horseshoes, gazebos and a playground for the kids. The gazebos are huge and on Saturday's we have movie night for the kids and cookout. C Pier is a happening place on weekends!

I pull out in mid December. I have a trailer and take it home in the winter and change oils, winterize, etc. I have them pull it out and power wash it before I take it home for $180. In the spring they will take it off the trailer put in on a work rack and I paint the bottom and drop it when I'm done. Between winter storage and maintenance and covering I save around $1500 a year doing it myself

Man I love having a trailer now. I used to get hit with every fee with my 30' Pro-line. I couldnt even detail my boat in the spring at Bay Bridge Marina as they said insurance would be affraid I would get hurt. I think they just wanted to stick it to me and be able to charge me for everything even to washing and waxing the boat. I will never own a boat without a trailer again. Noting like being able to put the boat in your driveway to get it ready!

I'm sure I will offend someone for saying this but I would rather swallow a live toadfish than trust my Parker to any marina or backyard boat mechanic in my area. Even though some are very competent most are rip off artists. I often said if you got into the business with an honest fair attitude you would have more business than you could handle all year around. You wouldn't have to gouge people during the season to make up for the off season because you would be busy year round. Most people are sick of getting ripped off by poor workmanship, high prices and having to hear "we have to make it while we can". That’s Bull%!@! I don't think most of us mind paying good money for good service. But for good money you should get good service regardless of the season. Carpenters and many tradesmen have a bad season too but do you think it would be acceptable to skimp on quality? Of coarse not. Only in the marine business this is acceptable. This is one of the reasons I love this forum. We share our knowledge to avoid the headaches. Sorry in advance if I offended anyone.

That's what I'm sayin! I slip there, winter store there, he has worked on my motor in the past. Does he need to rape me each time? You are correct, because now I am getting a trailer, wil not winter store, and make every effort to do my own maintenance. Thanks for hearing me vent a little fellas...

I wish you all a great season

Mike

Uncle Matt":1dt50u8z said:
And where exactly would one get a live toadfish?

Come fishing with me sometime this summer.
We catch Oyster Toads "right out front".

Otoad.jpg

Megabyte":31set080 said:
Uncle Matt":31set080 said:
And where exactly would one get a live toadfish?

Come fishing with me sometime this summer.
We catch Oyster Toads "right out front".

Otoad.jpg

I'm impressed Kevin, I havn't seen or caught a toadfish in 10+ years.....thought they dissapeared when the oysters went bad.

goinsfishin":2yigj7il said:
I'm impressed Kevin, I havn't seen or caught a toadfish in 10+ years.....thought they dissapeared when the oysters went bad.

Steve... We don't catch them every day, but we do catch them on Hacketts Bar regularly.
My grandkids see em and go "eeeeewwwwwww....." :)

Back