Mixing 2 part paint for trim tabs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
Well after 8 seasons on the 2120 an one on the 2520 I still can't keep any anti-fouling paint on the trim tabs. I am going to try using Petitt 6455 metal primer which is 2 parts as well as epoxy which is also 2 parts. Once this is done supposedly my anti fouling paint should remain on for the season.
My question is if I mix the quart of metal primer with the attached activator how long a shelf life will I have since I am only doing my two trim tabs. The same goes for the epoxy.
On the primer can it says you can mix smaller amount by using a 4:1 volume ratio. How would I go about measuring that?
Both the primer and epoxy set me back close to 90 bucks and don't want to see it go to waste.

Once you mix two part anything you have a short "kick time." Think minutes, or maybe an hour. Will depend on the outside temperature etc. But once you mix it you use it. No saving for later....

As to 4:1 volume, just mix in that ratio by volume. For example, 4 (liquid) ounces resin, 1 ounce activator.

Thanks, I picked up a couple of plastic mixing containers. It has ratio's by volume on the side but everything is 3 part volume.
That was my original thought 4 oz primer 1 oz activator.

I tried the same product twice followed by a primer twice, and then anti fouling paint twice and both times it started chipping off in less than six months. If I remember correctly it was like close to 250 bucks of product , TWICE!!! hope you have better luck than me.

georgevazquez":1gic2w05 said:
I tried the same product twice followed by a primer twice, and then anti fouling paint twice and both times it started chipping off in less than six months. If I remember correctly it was like close to 250 bucks of product , TWICE!!! hope you have better luck than me.
If that happens then I will blast it all off and use the cheapest stuff I can find lol

John, how bad will the stainless foul? I've not had a boat in a wet slip in a decade or so and then it was only 2 years. Was a Fourwinns cabin type. I can't remember how the tabs were done. I struggled with keeping the aluminum Volvo drive in good shape and usually redid the paint every six months or so. I only ask because when I took the old tabs off my Parker the hinge area was pretty rough from the anti foul paint corroding them. Wondered if you could get away with not painting them if you haul out every season?

The paint lasted 3 months when I splashed in April. When I hauled out in Oct for 30 days I got them bare again and then did 2 coats of primer and trilux 33. They looked perfect but fell off in 6 weeks.Most seasons the zincs are pretty well gone by the end of the year.

John,

Whatever Rick put on mine in July worked great, zero growth and the paint held up well (until the power washer hit it) then it all flaked off.
I use Micron Extra on the hull and wanted to stay with the same for convenience purposes so I called Interlux in reference to painting stainless.
They sent me a pdf which I can't seem to find now, but the instructions were something like aggressive sanding with 40 or 80 grit. He said you want a finger nail to be able to get caught on the scratches. Then six coats of their interprotect epoxy followed by four coats of whatever paint I wanted to use (following instructions between coats, particularly between the last coat of epoxy and the first coat of paint). I had someone else do it for me a few weeks ago as I do not have a garage and didn't want to stink up the house and basement with the odors of that stuff. We will see what happens next season. FWIW, I found this post on THT and this guy swears it works for him, who knows....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -prop.html

If your have That much problem..... Remove the tabs....have them sandblasted. This is absolutely the BEST etch you can do to metal to get a bite on it.

It's how I prep alum engine brackets.

warthog5":gpymrrhf said:
If your have That much problem..... Remove the tabs....have them sandblasted. This is absolutely the BEST etch you can do to metal to get a bite on it.

It's how I prep alum engine brackets.

I have heard this recommended. Someone told me they had theirs sandblasted then powder coated.

my 2520 sits in brackish water from May to the end of October. I don't paint my tabs, and in 2 years haven't really had any issues. A couple barnacles last year, but none the year before. Am I missing something.....

It's pretty expensive stuff but Prop-Speed will stay on and you'll get two years out of it. A Small kit should do two tabs. For that matter, anti-fouling will stay on the top so you really need only to prop-speed the bottoms. A half-pint kit from Amazon is $285.

I sit in the same river cove marina on the Salisbury side all I get is some barnicles to but I run a lot I see boats that sit on dock and they are covered I have no paint on mine

Back