modifed V performance maximum

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piano player

Reaction score
on one of the threads daleh indicated that a modified v hull will reach a certain performance level. after that additional power wont make much difference.

what does that mean? does a modified v have a limit on speed? what about the deep v version?

i have a 2006 2510wa with the modified v hull.

piano player":3hx5oq05 said:
what does that mean? does a modified v have a limit on speed? what about the deep v version?

There comes a point with 'any' hull where you reach a point of diminishing returns. Adding more horsepower to a mod-V hull will NOT continue to make the boat go faster. In fact, while techincally - yes - you might go faster, your fuel burn will be terrible.

I have verified this myself on my old Pro-Line and Bob Sterns, a noted marine author, once did a test of the same mod-V hull with a 90, 115, and 130hp motor. The 115 was the all-around best and the 90 very close. At all speeds, the 130hp burned more gas and was thus more inefficient, and only 1-2mph faster on the top end. Now who runs around @ WOT all the time ... ??? Well, one guide I know of does ... and he has blown up 1 or 2 motors per year for the last 3 or more seasons :shock: !

A mod-V hull can only go 'so fast' once the maximum amount of hull is out of the water. After that, once you're on that wetted surface, adding sigificantly more HP doesn't make you go that much faster. Your wetted surface stays the 'same' as the hull can't climb out any more. Turbulence across that wetted surface and build up and worsen if tried to push it faster. Sometimes a small amount of turbulence can actually make a hull go faster, as that water is aerated and aerated water is less dense than solid water. Remember that water is 10 times denser than air.

Now with a deep-V hull, the faster you go - the more the hull climbs up out of the water, thereby continually reducing the amount of wetted surface. That's one reason why deep-V can approach the speeds they can. sure it takes horsepower - but the deep-V hull can take advantage of it - a mod-V hull cannot.

Did that help at all explain this? All is based on the principles of fluid mechanics and Bernoulli's Law of hydronamics ... easy stuff no ;) ?

actually that does make sense to me. so i would suppose that putting a 350 yamaha on my 2006 2510 xl wa (modified v) wouldn't make much differnence in speed. especially considering the cost etc.

i have another question. is there a significant difference in roll between the 2510 modified v and the deep v. we do alot of drift fishing and we like the at rest stability of the modified v hull.

thanks for your knowledgeable response.

I fish from both ...a 2520MV and a 2520DV The answer is yes there is a considerable amount of roll difference in the two hulls on a snotty day on the Del. bay. The mod. V is alot more comfortable fishing out of. The deep V does ride better on rough seas under power. But the modV is more comfortable fishing.

Back