Modifying 1999 21SE live well to a bait well…suggestions?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am new to my the site and have a question I hope can be answered … I really like the chairs on my 21 SE which attach to my live well. The problem is I am now on the West Coast and need an operational bait tank (1 scoop). Because I fish with an older friend who needs the pedestal seats (no leaning post) I was wondering has anyone modified an old live well or has suggestions on how to modify an old live well to make it a bait tank. I know this isn’t optimal but keeping my fishing buddy comfortable is my first priority so the chairs have to stay.

I know it can work as a bait tank but … at least in a 1999 21se it’s basically a death well for bait. That one line spraying water in doesn’t do a good job of properly circulating water like west coast bait tanks. I am looking at using that inline and running some PV down the inside (from top to bottom), add some holes to create proper water flow direction and see if that improves the situation. Hopefully the pump is strong enough. Right now a half scoop of bait doesn’t survive the run to the tuna or dorado grounds… which sucks

I don't know your whole setup.....BUT.....Installing PVC on the inside will create a place for baits to bump into.....thus stressing the baits. I'm betting.....If you really need a good livewell....Your gonna need to do a a swap out to a Kodiak. BUT Before ya jump......Whats the pump size? Are ALL valves wide open?

http://kodiakmarine.com/

Last edited:
I just moved to NC from San Diego and sold my 2018 Parker 2320 back to a friend that lives there. I know the fishery and bait requirements well. I would recommend calling Pacific Edge or Blue Water Bait Tanks and see if they can help you source a tank that can be modified to add a backrest. You need an all in one lean post / back / bait tank that is just better than what you have. The Parker livewell/bait tank is just not worth trying to retrofit. I would sourca s new all on one leanpost bait tank combo. Call West Coast Marine. They sell Parker’s and I’ve seen them remove the CC Lea post setups to replace with what I am recommending. Get in touch with them and they will point you in the right direction. You can also go on the Parker forum on Bloody Decks and get some help. You may be able to find something in the classifieds section there, but usually guys are selling what you have for what I’m recommending

Reactions: A-K
I just moved to NC from San Diego and sold my 2018 Parker 2320 back to a friend that lives there. I know the fishery and bait requirements well. I would recommend calling Pacific Edge or Blue Water Bait Tanks and see if they can help you source a tank that can be modified to add a backrest. You need an all in one lean post / back / bait tank that is just better than what you have. The Parker livewell/bait tank is just not worth trying to retrofit. I would sourca s new all on one leanpost bait tank combo. Call West Coast Marine. They sell Parker’s and I’ve seen them remove the CC Lea post setups to replace with what I am recommending. Get in touch with them and they will point you in the right direction. You can also go on the Parker forum on Bloody Decks and get some help. You may be able to find something in the classifieds section there, but usually guys are selling what you have for what I’m recommending
Agreed. I have been talking to West Coast and also Randy at Blue Water. If I want to do it right I just get a leaning post and a great bait well from Randy. My problem is I fish with a friend who is old and health isn’t great. He needs the rotating seat. So for the near term I am trying make what I have work. Craig at West Coast bait tanks is meeting me today … hopefully he can fabricate something

just my 0.02c, and what i ended up doing on my 23 se cc, instead of trying to figure out how to modify the factory livewell, i added a kodiak flow thru to the deck. i added a separate pump off the raw water scoop and plumbed it in thru the battery box in the rear right next to the raw water line. an outflow hose right into the scuppers or overboard if drifting. i believe the 21 se has a similar layout to the 23 se cc ?

very easy to add and worked so well it was more than worth the cockpit space it occupied.

This is a west coast Bait Tank. My bait tank will hold 2 big scoops of healthy anchovies all day with minimal dead loss.

74BEFBB4-81BE-4D9E-88FB-8A44A510067E.png

I’m sure there are exceptions but East coast live well’s typically don’t hold west coast bait. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Fished San Diego on a Grady White multiple times with all the sardines dead in about 2 hours.

Last edited:
That pix above is Very close to the Kodiak design.

I believe the pic above is a Big Salt brand tank.

77F63B33-BE3E-4A9F-B327-A42DF1CBB01A.jpeg
This is why we use bait tanks on the west coast. Pic is from Oct 5 out of Westport WA, we caught 37 albacore tuna, nearly all were caught on live bait.

look at kodiak. they’re great. see pic. simple, economical, extremely functional.

mine kept macs, bunker, herring, 2-3# bluefish, whiting, squid happy all day.

we use a lot of live bait on the east coast too - it just depends on what you’re fishing for. biggest difference i think west coat to east coast and live bait is west coast you buy a scoop before you head out vs east coast you make your own - sabiki, cast net, etc.

Attachments

• AF8370B4-CE40-47D1-BFE2-D1557DE8D9D3.jpeg
    AF8370B4-CE40-47D1-BFE2-D1557DE8D9D3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: A-K
look at kodiak. they’re great. see pic. simple, economical, extremely functional.

mine kept macs, bunker, herring, 2-3# bluefish, whiting, squid happy all day.

we use a lot of live bait on the east coast too - it just depends on what you’re fishing for. biggest difference i think west coat to east coast and live bait is west coast you buy a scoop before you head out vs east coast you make your own - sabiki, cast net, etc.

From what I’ve heard or been told about East vs West coast bait.

The baits on the east coast are typically larger baits where on the west coast we use smaller baits by the 1000s.

I believe in San Diego it’s a primary sardine and anchovy bait fishery.

In the northwest we use anchovies.

I’ve typically been getting 2 scoops which is 1000s of small anchovies. You need a large bait tank that flows water well, circulates it, then discharges the old water when displaced by new water.

I have not heard anything bad about Kodak brand. But my first recommendation would be a fiberglass design.

Back