More Handheld VHF ?'s

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
Well, in reality there is no firm answer. Just remember this, antennas operate on line-of-sight from sending antenna to receiving antenna. So 'height' is your friend. I'd say offhand such a handheld would only be good for 4-5 miles in practical use.

Reference: http://www.boatantenna.com/faq.html

If you are not in the water, and can get to the top of the boat, you might make it to 10 miles. However, if (god forbid) your boat sinks in rough seas, and the CG has a chopper or jet flying nearby, they probably won't be able to spot you. HOWEVER, if your DSC radio is on and transmitting, they'll pick up the signal, and that should let them pinpoint your location.

Did you end up getting the SH850? I'm seriously considering buying one for some offshore work we're doing.

I'm with you. The 270 that I have has been heavily abused. By heavily abused, I mean its been dropped on concrete a dozen or more times, frozen to the deck at least once working up in Gloucester in December, and much more. Its got loads of scratches on it, including some gouges that look like they'd kill the radio. Yet it still soldiers on.

To reinforce your decision, all 4 of the local marinas that we frequent use them as walkie-talkies for their dockhands and launch services. We all know that hired help don't exactly baby their equipment.

The only reason to get the 850 is if you are going offshore and really need the DSC capability. I don't care that it floats, I'll be sticking a floater to it when I buy it. I need it to really flot and be visible if anything happens.

Best of luck.

Back