motor cavitating

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2510 (MV) with twin F-115s will cavitate in a hard turn. I think it is the nature of twin OBs when one side of the boat goes down and the other side is lifted (like in a turn or when something heavy, like a bait tank, is not centered).

I have Permatrim-like plates (CoBra sold through Cabela's) on my F-115s, and that helped a lot. But in a hard turn, some air will get below the cavitation plate and cause a blow-out.

Dave

aka

I don't know the size. I called the guy, told him my boat and engines, and they came with zero markings. They are quite large, probably adds a 9x9 section above the prop. If I'm really flying in chop, the props may catch a little air, but it is not sustained, and they hook up in 1/4 second, vs. going into sustained cavitation before.

My only gripe is the mounting hardware and instructions. It was very hard to figure out where to put the hardware, and when I cranked down on it, quite a few of the bolts snapped. Finding replacements in PV was the world's biggest headache. I had to use levels and calipers to do the bolt placement, and it is not perfect, of course, they are sandwiched with 5200 and 10 bolts, so they aren't going anywhere.

It is also hard to align the plates, after staring at them for hours, finally found that staring across the plate with the engine trimmed up and visually lining up to the flat part on the top of the engine case, gave the only real indicator. They are squarely placed, but then I noticed the engines were not exactly square to each other, so I had to adjust the trim rod between the engines. You would never have noticed it if had not been for the flat surface that the permitrims create (it makes misalignment obvious).

The permatrims should come with a drilling template and better hardware, but operationally they work great. You can trim the boat with the engines and leave the tabs for tilt and/or heavy trim needs.

Thanks for the comments on the hosing, I've redone my tuna tube pump with a straight run of 2" hose with 2 opposed clamps.

Case closed...

Barnes

Back