Motor Died, hasn't started since - could use a little help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
The motor is a 2002 4 stroke 225 with about 700 hours on it.
I was out the other day for the first time in 3-4 months. We cruised around for a few hours, and the motor was running great – as usual. Then it just died. I turned it over a few times, but it did not sound like anything was going to happen. This is the first time I have had any trouble; the motor has always started within 1-2 seconds of turning the key. I changed out the fuel filter (even though I had a relatively new fuel filter with the clear bowl – looked good), still nothing. We ended up getting to shore via the kicker. I was reading the post by Tireddiver, seemed like the same issue so I figured I’d start with Dale’s advice.

1st - Check your battery connections, see: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7224
2nd - Check the OB fuse, where the main harness from the boat connects to the field devices
3rd - Check your ignition kill lanyard and kill switch. Quite a few guys I know this year had problems with both.

The problem here is I have no idea what I am doing. So I’d like to verify I’m following the advice correctly.
1st - I checked the battery and cables, but I couldn’t tell if there were any problems with corrosion. So I checked where the positive and negative cables connect to the motor, and my voltmeter showed 12.6 – Can I assume that means I am ok there?

2nd – I checked the green, tan, and yellow fuses – are there any other fuses I should check
3rd – The lanyard is on, but I am not sure how to check the kill switch. Can someone describe where that’s at and how to check?
I also checked out a few repair books from the library, and one of the troubleshooting test is to see if your spark plug is firing. You remove a plug, reattach to the wire boot, and wedge the plug against the engine so the metal case of the plug is grounded, crank the engine and see if you see a spark jumping across the plug. I tried that and did not see any spark.
That is all I have tried, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Not having a 4/s motor I can't help you directly, but last year when faced with issues on my 2/s I called Andy Jr. at Shipyard Island Marina. He hit the nail on the head the first time at up! 8) 1-800-213-3323

does the kicker have a different fuel supply? if it does then its your fuel. if it doesnt then you probably have some issue with a fuel filter or fuel line especially with the ethanol.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check with Andy. I was thinking fuel, but the filter has been changed regularly (probably overdue on the little one on the motor), I have always used ethanol free fuel, and the spark plug firing test lead me to believe it was an ignition related problem. Is there an easy way to make sure the fuel pump is working?

MacFern":3bhddg20 said:
the spark plug firing test lead me to believe it was an ignition related problem.

If you have no spark, I would suspect an electrical / ignition problem.
A bad kill switch would cause this condition as well.

Get an in-line spark tester for $6 or so at an auto part store. With all that paint on that p'head, I am not surprised it didn't jump to ground.

Now that said, you said "it died." Does it crank at all? If so, does she stutter, poop, or fart? Most newer motors will crank, but if the voltage WHILE cranking drops below 11 VDC, the computer won't fire up and she'll never start. Having 12.6 at the motor means nothing with no load on it, though admittedly 12.6 is still a good reading for a battery voltage via DMM.

We need more info ...

Quote from Dale "Get an in-line spark tester for $6 or so at an auto part store. With all that paint on that p'head, I am not surprised it didn't jump to ground."

I'll do that today; I was also thinking the plug might not be well grounded.

Quote from Dale "Now that said, you said "it died." Does it crank at all? If so, does she stutter, poop, or fart? Most newer motors will crank, but if the voltage WHILE cranking drops below 11 VDC, the computer won't fire up and she'll never start. Having 12.6 at the motor means nothing with no load on it, though admittedly 12.6 is still a good reading for a battery voltage via DMM."

I was barely on plane when it shut down. There was no sputtering, surging, poop, fart, cough - just shut down. The starter seems fine. It turns over for as long as I hold the key, but it does not sound like it's trying to start - again no sputter, poop, fart. This is new to me, because it has always started within seconds.

MacFern":3hh8bsdx said:
It turns over for as long as I hold the key, but it does not sound like it's trying to start - again no sputter, poop, fart. This is new to me, because it has always started within seconds.
Similar happened to a friend this year, less he was shut down (offshore) and she wouldn't re-start, even though she'd crank. Turned out to be the fuel pump. He was told ethanol fuels is eating them up, so much so the outfit that makes them for Yam can't keep them in stock.

For the preservation and accuracy of our archives, please keep us updated! And good luck.

I bought an ignition spark tester today and I am not getting any spark. Any simple checks I can do to find out why? Due to my very minimal mechanical knowledge I am pretty sure it's going to end up with the local Yamaha mechanic, but I would love to fix on my own and avoid that cost.

Anyone have a similar experience - motor went from running great to not running at all, apparently due to ignition trouble/no spark?

With 12.6 @ starter, (1) sounds like you didn't check the right fuses for that motor [I don't run such a pony, so I can't help there], or (2) there's something amiss with the ignition kill lanyard.

For (1) there are on-line Yamaha schematics at iboat.com or boats.com, I forget, try a search on
'schematic' under my name and for (2) try pulling down the ign kill assy, pull off clip and re-attach, and/or try some continuity checks, as that grounds out the motor. If grunded, no fire to the coils.

There's a brown wire down in my bilge in the battery area with a pretty hefty fuse in it, perhaps check that... :roll:

Latest posts

Back