Motor Flusher for 150 Yami

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda Lou

Reaction score
I tried a motor flusher and it would not work.Is there a special flusher for this motor. I live on the E.S. of VA. Hungars Creek and the winters are not that cold,would it be advisible not to fog the motor,leave the batteries on and run the motor twice a month?????

I tried a cheap one too and it did not work. You must get a pair of muffs that are fed on both sides and flexible enough to establish a good seal. The muffs should be rectangular to fit over the entry points well. I use a large, rectangular Rubbermaid 60 gallon trash can and fill with water until it rises over the entire lower unit. This ensures that the pump assembly is never without water. Drain with a short siphon hose.

I had to replace the plastic housing on my pump assy because it had the inside slightly glazed from too much heat, I believe this occurred at the beginning of my motor's life when I didn't know any better. I used to run my Mercury 90 hp on muffs all the time. This motor is more difficult to satisfy. Anybody got a brand of muff that works well for Linda Lou?

I flush the motor after each use with the hose coupling on the motor and even feed it some Salt-Away before I shut the water off. this has kept the engine in excellent shape. I only run the motor every three weeks in the barrel to keep the oil distributed and the parts in good condition. I fish all winter until the ramps freeze but "summerize" my boat during the warm weather. I work too much during these warm months so I can't fish then.

I use a big rubber trash can for all my small outboards. I drilled a hold in it near the bottom and put a cork in it, pull the cork and let her drain!

Linda... Which Yamaha 150 do you have?

My 1997 model 225 OX66 has a flush port under the port side cowl that I hook my garden hose to in order to flush it (with the motor OFF). Works great!

I have a 2007 2120 SC the motor a Yami 4 Stroke is new. I flush the motor with the garden hose at the upper flush connection. I am going to try the large drum to run the motor when I put the boat on the trailer for the winter. I hope this will work instead of fogging the motor and letting it set for several months.Is this a good idea or should I service it and remove the batteries for the winter?

A couple more points on my earlier post.

1) I always try to run the motor in the barrel when it is the warm part of the day. This ensures good drainage when I'm finished. Pay particular attention that you immerse the motor deep enough to cover the entire lower unit plus about six inches (the water pump impeller is actually located above the L.U. slightly).

2) Invest in a small automatic charger for the batteries. Get one that allows you to monitor two batteries and charges them independently. Make sure it shuts off automatically. Batteries that are fully charged last longer and won't freeze.

Remove the batteries from the boat and fog the motor if you have no intention of using the boat until spring. This is less work in the long run and follows Yamaha's recommendations. I run my boat often during the cold weather, so it makes more sense for me to have it ready to go.

This is what I do. You should read the manual thoroughly and consult the dealer's mechanic, along with probing the brain trust here on Classic Parker. The F150 is an awesome motor, one that will provide years of uninterrupted service as long as you follow good maintenance practice. Get the service manual for more in depth diagrams and service information. $60 is cheap considering the cost of the motor.

Ranger Tim:thanks for the info.Will fog motor and pull batts.How do you winterize the raw water washdown? Your web site is great,i really injoyed reading it.Got my 2120 this past May 2007 model.What a great boat.I went from a skiff to a Parker.I have the bow pulpit &roller,west coast bow rail,(i like the extra height),raw water,rocket launcher,spreader light,bimini top ,free standing rear station,port window opens,second captains chair in cabin,raymarine a-65 gps/f.f., raymarine vhf.More stuff to be added as allowed by WIFE. We fish out of Hungars Creek,Mostly the cell,and off of Cape Charles & south.

Raw Water Wash Winterization

1) Open seacock and drain.
2) Use a large screwdriver to pry up the tabs on each side of the pump (Jabsco) to release the hoses. Unscrew the round plastic see through lid off the filter bowl and drain.
3) Unscrew the cap to the wash outlet and blow the water back out of it. Recap the outlet to stop rain from filling it.
4) I run the pump disconnected for about five seconds to purge the water from it ... I don't know if this is bad for it or not. I figure this happens when I use it and it's priming itself anyway. Leave the pump disconnected.
5) After the seacock has been open to drain for a while close it to prevent subsequent launching without reconnecting things. Yes, this will fill the bilge with sea water quickly. Ask me how I know! :oops:
6) I suspect there may be considerable variation between model years of Parkers and the pumps used, so this description should be intended as a guide. Be sure to follow the hoses and eliminate droops if possible to drain all water out. You might use compressed air for added security.

Probably want to keep those batteries on some kind of trickle charger while they are stored. If they are deep cycles and they go flat, they are really hard to bring back to life.

Back