Moving batteries to the console on 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sscoville

Reaction score
I have one battery in each of my stern boxes. I want to move them into the console. I have a selector switch inside one of the boxes and sort of like it there because I can get to from standing on the ground while the boat is trailered. I may eventually install 2 more batteries for a trolling motor as well.

What is the best way to wire this?

Certainly doable, but it's going to take a LOT of battery cable. Heavy, expensive battery cable. You will have to run positive and negative cables from each battery back to selector switch.

When you relocate them think about whether your boat has a static list. If so place them in the console in a position to correct that list.

If I move the switch to the console, I’ll need to run the engine cable forward. I need to see how much I have. I’m quite sure it won’t reach to the console. In that case, I assume there is a piece of hardware I can use to mate the engine cable to a set of wires running to the switch in the console?

Not the way to do it.

You start with [Power Posts] that you attach the cables from the engine to...... I typically shorten the Factory battery cables.
This puts better sealed ends on the cables and gets rid of bundeled up excessive cable.

Then from the Power Posts 2ga cable to the selector switch.....I dump the factory Perko style switches and install a BEP cluster..... I'm on my 39th BEP cluster install now. Then on to the batteries with the 2ga.

The power wire will be pulled back into the console and shortened. It then gets hooked to a Main breaker to handle All the house loads...Typically a 40amp unit. Then gets hooked to the House BEP switch.

Trolling Motor [TM] batteries are NOT in this equation......That is a separate system....That system will need it's own on board battery charger.

What year is your 1801? In the newer models, you can actually turn the battery in the bilge compartment and fit two side by side. This project is on my list, but I haven't got around to it yet. Once I do I will post pics.

warthog5":28lf2ymb said:
Not the way to do it.

You start with [Power Posts] that you attach the cables from the engine to...... I typically shorten the Factory battery cables.
This puts better sealed ends on the cables and gets rid of bundeled up excessive cable.

Then from the Power Posts 2ga cable to the selector switch.....I dump the factory Perko style switches and install a BEP cluster..... I'm on my 39th BEP cluster install now. Then on to the batteries with the 2ga.

The power wire will be pulled back into the console and shortened. It then gets hooked to a Main breaker to handle All the house loads...Typically a 40amp unit. Then gets hooked to the House BEP switch.

Trolling Motor [TM] batteries are NOT in this equation......That is a separate system....That system will need it's own on board battery charger.
X2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

warthog5":2ta1vy24 said:
Not the way to do it.

So how many 2ga cables running between the console and the stern box? If I am picturing this correctly, the power posts and BEP switch will be mounted inside the starboard stern box and the main breaker in the console.

Also, my engine is a 2013 Yamaha 150, which has a connection to add an isolator lead for my house battery. Why not get rid of the VSR switch completely and just use the 2 Yahama cables with the 2 batteries?

So how many 2ga cables running between the console and the stern box? If I am picturing this correctly, the power posts and BEP switch will be mounted inside the starboard stern box and the main breaker in the console.

No......The BEP Cluster will be Very close to the batteries....This keeps the Hot leads Very short when the switches are OFF.

The Power posts are in the old battery compartment.

2ga cables.....Single engine on that 18 I'm sure........ 1- Red & 1- Black.

The BEP cluster can be surface mounted....or flush mounted. Flush mounting would have the knobs exposed to the outside of the console....It takes a bunch of precision drilling.

Back