My new 250 4 stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reelysalty":13fxznu1 said:
warthog5":13fxznu1 said:
[

Here is how it works. Other manufactures align the driveshaft directly with the crankshaft.

Suzuki misaligns them and then connects them with gears. This inturn changes the gear ratio....Then there is the gears in the foot.

The results are a Lower gear ratio than all other manufactures and thus can swing a Bigger prop.
?

This is a power robbing gear reduction.
Another result of this rig is
a bill for four to six thousand dollars when it fails !
Have you heard any problems yet? That is one big bill to pay off!!!! I do have to say, it's very smooth shifting. I can't even tell when it does go into the high gear. Maybe that's a good thing? Having 7 year warranty, hope they cover that

Reelysalty":3bgswem1 said:
warthog5":3bgswem1 said:
[

Here is how it works. Other manufactures align the driveshaft directly with the crankshaft.

Suzuki misaligns them and then connects them with gears. This inturn changes the gear ratio....Then there is the gears in the foot.

The results are a Lower gear ratio than all other manufactures and thus can swing a Bigger prop.
?

Must be a Yamaha or Merc Fan. LOL

Never heard of a problem.

On my 5th Suzzy....... 4 of them were Brand New.

New '03 2- DF140's - 1 Counter rotating.

Used '99 DF-70 Abused by previous owner. water in cylinder from corrosion. It sat in the water all the time at a marina in Saltwater. Never flushed

New '12 DF-90A

New '13 DF-300APX

New '12 DF-90A

Marty D":3428may3 said:

Have you heard any problems yet? That is one big bill to pay off!!!! I do have to say, it's very smooth shifting. I can't even tell when it does go into the high gear. Maybe that's a good thing? Having 7 year warranty, hope they cover that

There is not a low or hi gear, just a gear reduction in bottom of powerhead...and another gear reduction in foot.

No particular reliability problem, but they do fail from time to time.

Reelysalty":6ijz9mk7 said:
Marty D":6ijz9mk7 said:

There is not a low or hi gear, just a gear reduction in bottom of powerhead...and another gear reduction in foot.

I have the DF-250 TX. Can you please tell me if that motor has a gear reduction ? My dealed just told me. No. So I downloaded the info and it does have the low gear reduction. Do you know what so screwed up? Try calling Suzik in California and speak to the tec. I did today and he does not know!!!!! He said he will get back to me. Then I called 5 dealers and they don't know. They sell these motors. What a joke.

Marty D":24ghw9j7 said:
Reelysalty":24ghw9j7 said:
Marty D":24ghw9j7 said:

I have the DF-250 TX. Can you please tell me if that motor has a gear reduction ? My dealed just told me. No. So I downloaded the info and it does have the low gear reduction. Do you know what so screwed up? Try calling Suzik in California and speak to the tec. I did today and he does not know!!!!! He said he will get back to me. Then I called 5 dealers and they don't know. They sell these motors. What a joke.

From Suzuki site,

DF250AP

Features
Multi Point Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection
Suzuki Selective Rotation
O2 Sensor Feedback Control System
Suzuki Precision Control System
Suzuki Lean Burn Control System
Variable Valve Timing System
Two-Stage Gear Reduction System

^ This is "Suzi speak" for offset powerhead and a second gear set directly under it.

Enjoy your new motor,
you saved some dollars on initial purchase.

I saw that on there site but I couldn't find my DF250TX. Suzuki called me back and reg my 6 year warranty. The dealer never called it in. Told me all about the motor. Very nice guy. All good. Thank you. Marty D

OK.... You have a TX..... I Have a APX. The X stands for Long shaft or 25in shaft. If it was a XX it would be a 30in shaft.

ALL Suzuki's.....No matter the HP Have the lower gear ratio with the offset driveshaft and gear reduction.

warthog5":10ri6awl said:

OK.... You have a TX..... I Have a APX. The X stands for Long shaft or 25in shaft. If it was a XX it would be a 30in shaft.

ALL Suzuki's.....No matter the HP Have the lower gear ratio with the offset driveshaft and gear reduction.
Thanks. Did you have any problems with your gas gauge when you went with Suzuki? I had a Yamaha and now with the new Suzuki gauge it's reading full tank when there is only 1/2 tank 70 gAlls. They pulled the tank sending unit out and moved the float and the gauge reads ok. I'm wondering if it's how they wired it up. They replaced the gauge with a new one buts it's still 1/2 tank off.

Hmmmmmmm?

Your explanation is not making sense.

Now I know you were not there, but.....If they removed the sender and still had it hooked in the system, then moved the float and the gauge moved accordingly then there is nothing wrong with it......except for maybe the float is "Water logged" and does not float correctly.

I've seen that before.

What gauges do you have? Standard analog gauges or SMIS gauges.

SMIS -http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/Marine/Accessories/Suzuki%20Modular%20Instrument%20Systems/smis_PDF.ashx

First thing is change the sending unit..... Next while your there is remove the ball and spring from the antisiphon fitting . It's right there and will take away fuel starvation problems down the road.

Next......... I have SMIS AKA NMEA gauges. They are made by Lowrance for Suzuki.

I added 2 - 1 for each tank. [74gal tanks] analog gauge for each tank.

I could set the SMIS gauge to read the tank level.....or to read MPG - GPH but not both.

So We use the analog gauge's to keep track, balance the boat and watch when filling the tanks.

warthog5":qitbk3ld said:
Hmmmmmmm?

Your explanation is not making sense.

Now I know you were not there, but.....If they removed the sender and still had it hooked in the system, then moved the float and the gauge moved accordingly then there is nothing wrong with it......except for maybe the float is "Water logged" and does not float correctly.

I've seen that before.

What gauges do you have? Standard analog gauges or SMIS gauges.

SMIS -http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/Marine/Accessories/Suzuki%20Modular%20Instrument%20Systems/smis_PDF.ashx

First thing is change the sending unit..... Next while your there is remove the ball and spring from the antisiphon fitting . It's right there and will take away fuel starvation problems down the road.

Next......... I have SMIS AKA NMEA gauges. They are made by Lowrance for Suzuki.

I added 2 - 1 for each tank. [74gal tanks] analog gauge for each tank.

I could set the SMIS gauge to read the tank level.....or to read MPG - GPH but not both.

So We use the analog gauge's to keep track, balance the boat and watch when filling the tanks.
I will do this. Boat is stored till next year. I think your right about the float being water in it.

Want to thank Warthog5 for all the help you gave me. The info and pictures was very helpful. Marty D

Sorry I took so long to replay. I moved to Long Island. The 250 Suzu is all what Dale said it would be. Great on gas. I can plane must fast at a lower speed. No more buying 2 stroke oil!!! I still have less then 20 hours on her. It's the price also. Sold my Yamah for $5500. Paid $1700 installed with all gauges. It cost me less then $12,000. Got to love that.

Back