Need 1 New battery

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasport

Reaction score
Need 1 new battery. Believe i have 2 starting batteries Which ive had for several years with no problem. What's advice should I have 1 deep cycle? Any particular model/type I replace with? Only running 1 fish finder 1 GPS and radio.

I really like decka batteries, just put two new ones in my 2520xl, I have been running on just 1 battery to see how it would handle a full day of fishing with the motor not running, gps,fish finder,and wash down on all day and fished into the evening with lights on, never started the motor till time to come in and she cranked right over with no hesitation. I have the decka marine master 27m6. Cca 840@0'f ca 1050@32'f rc 182 min. Love those batteries.

I buy Interstate marines, good product at a good price. You might be interested in their dual purpose deep-cycle / cranking battery. It has slightly less CCA than a cranking battery of the same size but a little more staying power / charging capacity like a deep-cycle. I'm going to get two this year.

Curious as to why you would only replace one battery, if your boat has a bank of two?

Honestly... I would always change both batteries at the same time, but that is me.

"Curious as to why you would only replace one battery, if your boat has a bank of two?"

If you have more than one battery in a bank, i.e. 2 group 31's for your house bank they should be changed together, but if you have two separate banks of one battery each you can change just one. Usually batteries will start to fail at the same time if they're the same age, which would require replacing both at the same time.

Let's talk about batteries here a little.

I have a friend that helps run a trucking company. She got a call from the owner that was on the road.

Needed a battery. I asked "What kind /size battery does he need?

She said a Gp31 "Drycell".

OK...What the heck is a "Drycell" I'm skeptic, but maybe I'll learn something new here.

She say's look it up it's common in the Ag and trucking industry.

I said are you sure your not talking about a "AGM"? No a "Drycell".

So she sends me a link, cause I can't find it. Sure enough.......on 1 site it lists Odysey batteries as a "Drycell" battery. :(

So you read down the spec.......BATTERY TYPE ...... AGM. DA!

Then I went to schooling her on "proper names" so people don't get confused.

Gell batteries came on the scene and phased out pretty quick. Yet....people will call a AGM = "Advanced Glass Matt" battery a Gell battery, which is incorrect.

To me a Drycell is something that goes in a flashlight.

A AGM is NOT a DRYCELL. it has liquid in it. If it is overcharged it can Off gas.

I said to my son.....Summitt Racing is where they are listed like that. He said that sounds about right......Drag racers.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?Sort ... %20battery

It's the only place I found listing them like that.

I use Lifeline AGM's in my boat.

Attachments

• AGM.jpg
    AGM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
AGM= Absorbed Glass Mat. people mistakenly call them dry cells because if broken there is no excess liquid to spill out, it is held by the glass matting between the plates. A regular old lead acid battery is callled a wet cell because as you know they will spill if tipped over or broken.

Megabyte":1elrukcw said:
Curious as to why you would only replace one battery, if your boat has a bank of two?
Batteries can suffer infantile failures, even when new. IMHO I'd rather have an older 'proven' one on board when the newer one joins it. I run 2 batteries and thus buy a new one every 2-years. Zero battery (or even wiring/assy) issues in the 30+ years I've been doing my own boats.

... posted during lunch ...

Back