Need Advice from My Fellow Parker Owners

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
I currently trailer my Parker 2120 Sportcabin and have been comtemplating slipping her next year (saltwater). I think I would get more use out of the boat if it were in a slip vs. trailering. I am hesitant for two reasons: having the boat bottom-painted and the wear-and-tear of it being in a saltwater enviroment for along period of time. Obviously, once the boat is bottom-painted there is no going back. I am a fanatic about keeping the boat clean and waxed (wax it 3 times/season now including the hull). Am I worring for nothing? What do you guys normally do to protect your transducers from vegetation? Any pros/cons or pitfalls I need to know about so I can make an informed decision would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your responses and feedback.

I dry slip mine which could be another option for you. No bottom paint and no sitting in the water all year. Many different kinds of lifts available. I lease mine from my marina but also have the option of buying my own and reducing my slip rental fee. I figure the cost and labor savings of not maintaining the bottom paint go towards my increased slip fee because it has the lift..........................Pete

In my case the cons outweighed the pros and I trailer. I just can’t stand to see her fade away at the pier and worry about her when I’m not there.

Another thing to consider is the cost of mooring and how close is it. One of the things that bothered me was any bad weather having to go check the lines and worrying about her safety (45min to an hour away). It was also a pain loading and unloading all my fishing gear each trip. Where I moored my boat it was about 100yards to the parking lot and about 2-3 trips of gear and coolers. I really like to bring the boat home and clean it top to bottom after each use and not have to worry about it moored at the marina. Another con is the build up of barnacles and slime that will slow you down throughout the season especially if you neglect to use her. The biggest thing I miss at the marina was the great friends I made on those weekend night get together.

One pro for you is less boat to wax once you have the bottom painted :lol: but on the other hand it is also a pain to wax the sides of the hull from a dingy :x

I have a different point of view. Boats are to be used, not polished. One of the great advantages of Parkers is their off-white gel coat. It never looks spectacular like a dark blue hull, but is also doesn't take much work to keep it looking decent.

To be clear, I clean my boat after every use, but don't obsess over it. My boat is a tool that allows me to fish/beach/cruise/tube. That's what I love about my Parker.

The barrier to use a boat already in the water is a LOT less than deciding to hook it up to your truck, trailer it, launch it, park trailer, and repeat at end of the day.

If you decide to paint the bottom just put an epoxy barrier coat on it first and then don't worry about it.

I HAVE THE SAME BOAT. I DID NOT GET IT IN THE WATER TILL JUNE 30

HAVE USED IT 33 TIMES I AM 80 MILES FROM THE BOAT, STICK IT IN

THE WATER AT A SLIP & ENJOY USING IT. DON'T WAIT SO THAT THE

NEXT OWNER GETS A BOAT WITH NO BOTTOM PAINT WHO CARES.

BEAN

I'm similar to dave. I keep mine on a trailer and protected from the UV with a full cover. It takes a while to get uncovered, loaded, and launched, but the boat stays clean and I only have to polish once a year. The time savings lets me spend more time on the water.

At some point in time...probably when I move to Williamsburg, VA...I'll bottom paint and wet slip. That way I can get to the CBBT on a moments notice. But for now, I like the safety of the trailer and the light maintenance schedule of keeping her covered.

Dave

aka

I dry slipped for a year. What a big god****** hassle. It was an extra 2 hours of work per trip. My bottom was painted when I bought the boat, so it wasn't a big deal for me. In fact we dry slipped it for about 4 months, until a transient (monthly) slip became available. I like to hop in my car and be on the water in 40 minutes.. not possible on a trailer slip.

The dry slip was a serious pain, as it just added steps and hassle:

1) hitch the trailer at the marina
2) load the bait on for the day
3) wait for a spot at the ramp to open
4) launch the boat, while one person has to park the trailer 4 parsecs away
5) sit and twiddle thumbs and get irritated waiting for person parking the trailer
6) fish
7) wait for spot at launching dock, get cut off by some weekend warrior with no courtesy or boat handling skills
8) send someone to get truck, wait 4 light years
9) wait for spot at launching ramp to open
9) land boat on trailer
10) park trailer
11) wash boat

As opposed to my wet slipping life:
1) load bait
2) fish
3) wash boat

My marina is honest and not gouging about fuel, so cheaper gas prices on a road station are negligable. Wet slipping allows me to single hand (fish alone) which would never ever ever ever be possible dry slipping. There is a comaraderie at the marina that we never got dry slipping - and finding new fishing buddies / rivals.

Simply put, I use the boat more. A *lot* more. I can sand and paint the bottom myself (it really is't that much work). We wax the boat once a year in the fall. We keep the boat nice, but not showroom condition - this is a fishing boat, and we fish it hard.

All, thanks for the responses. This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. It will really help me to make an informed decision. Dry slipping is not a viable option along the Jersey side of the Delaware Bay.

Dave-J, you have the right attitude...the boat is a tool and I should stop worring so much about keeping it in "mint-condition" and just use the darn thing. After all, that is why I bought it in the 1st place.

Again, thanks to all for your opinions/feedback. It is greatly appreciated. I will let you all know the decision but, I am leaning toward wet-slipping it in the spring.

Also,

When the time comes for first coat bottom painting, do it right or you will be banging your head against a wall for years. Mine was never prepped properly when I bought it new and cost me well over $1,000 and hours and hours of work to get it right.

Nothing like grabbing a six pack and heading to the boat after work for a evening ride. If I trailered I would be out only once or twice a week. I too like to keep my boat clean and often go down to the marina just to hang out and wax. I find it very relaxing. I also pull the boat out a few times during the season to give it a good detail. I think keeping it in the water far out weights towing.

I won't tell you what to do, but I will say that I keep my 2520 on a mooring and use it all the time. But just to keep my bases covered I bought a trailer this summer, which I've already used a lot. The best of both worlds. Worth thinking about... :D

Back