Need Help is 2120 big enough

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeHammer

Reaction score
I will start with how I plan to use the boat. Most of the time it is my wife (Kim) two children (Justin 9 and Katie 4) and myself. We spend a lot of time fishing the ICW and inlets around Oak Island and Southport. I would like to be able to fish the manmade reefs which are 3 two 13 miles offshore. I would only go offshore on calm days (light winds with no more than 2 - 3 foot waves). So go out isn't the question. It's the conditions coming back that's the concern. On real calm days I would like to be able to go the frying pan tower (around 40 miles out), may never get the guts to try this in any boat.

Now the questions. Would a 2120 be enough boat? Would it be a good first pilot house type boat? I plan to buy used so at current prices I wouldn't think I wouldn't be out a lot on the move up in a few years.

My main concern is keeping my family safe. So any input is appreciated.

Thanks

personally, i think that it would be a great boat for the purposes youve just described. granted, i do not own one nor have i ever ridden on one. but i have been on them at boat shows and seen how they are built and laid out, and its just like every other boat in the parker line. the boat will take anything you can throw at it, the breaking point is YOU :shock: . like you said, if you plan to stay within your own comfort zones the boat should easily do everything you want it to. it is a small boat, but that just means you need to pick your days carefully and use good judgement, just like everyone else <50 ft does. if you get caught in a bit of a chop, you will have to slow down a bit and take it easy, for your own sake rather than the boats, but you will get home just fine. my one suggestion would be: if youre going to use the boat offshore, look for one that has a bit higher horsepower engine than the norm, either a 200 or a 225. youre never going to want less power offshore, and if the max youre going to be going is 40 miles, fuel consumption isnt really a huge issue either (depending on your priorities). all in all, i would assess the 2120 as a great boat for your family from what youve described, but only you can really tell what, in the end, you want. good luck!

I own a 2120 and fish the Chesapeake Bay and oss-shore wreaks. The boat will do nicely. Learn the water and be mindfull of weather conditions. People get in trouble not because of the boat but because they don't exercise good judgement. It is better to err on the side of caution and fish another day than to push the weather envelope. There are times I would go out in the Back River even in an aircraft carrier.The 2120 fishes very well.

I own a 2120 sc.For what you want to do it should be just fine.Pick your days wisely.
I use mine to fish ,and dive from mostly in the Northern Channel Islands straight across from Santa Barbara CA.
I've had mine out in some nasty water coming and going home in the Channel,anybody who knows this area knows the wind can come up very fast ,and you have to know when to head for the barn.
The boat can take anything you can throw at it..it gets uncomfortable when it starts blowin above 15 knts,when you are going into the wind ,and swell..just slow down,turn on the wipers and relax.I got caught out July 4 08,and was coming home in a following sea of 6-8 w a few 10sets thrown in the mix,and the white caps just beginning to break...certainly not fun,but the boat handled it perfectly..way better that my 24'Skipjack ever did.Just on the throttle to climb up the backs,then off to surf down into the trough..the boat never pitchpoled ,or yawed,but I still wouldn't want to do that again.
I also think it's good advise to get a least a 200 hp motor on it.
I really load mine up w/dive gear,and the 200 pushes it along just fine.
I know you wont be dissapointed w/the 2120 with what you ,and yours want to do on it.
Have fun!!
MJ.

Thanks for the input. I don't have to trailer the boat so I am thinking the 2120, 2320 or 2520 all would work. Its just a matter of finding the right deal and some extra money. Every time there's extra money something comes up. This time it's the wife's car.

I have found some real deals on other boats, non-Parker walkarounds, for the most part. But there is something about the pilot house that I keep going back to. So I am going to keep looking.

Thanks again!

Hello well i think you will love the 2120 it is a great boat but if you have the few extra bucks i would look into a 2320 with the motor on a bracket so you have the fish/baitwell in the back but no matter what you will love parker boats.

If you plan to do alot of days by yourself or one other fisherman this boat is perfect. If you are going to consistently fish with 4,then I would look into the 2320 or 25.
I've taken my 2120 50+ from the beach with no problems,as long as you pick your days.

I too am looking at the 2120 for similar reasons. Family, young kids, and the Outer Banks sounds. I'm probably far too chicken to ever venture through Oregon Inlet, but once I get some more experience I'd like to be able to do it without having to get a different boat.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but do these boats really need to be berthed somewhere? Or is in-and-out with a trailer reasonable and doable? I'll only be using sound accesses, so I don't want to find that I have more boat than I can handle.

Thanks...

What kind of fishing do you do ?,

and

Have you been out fishing on a boat with full cabin ?

In our current boat the kids and wife will bottom fish with shrimp for what ever will bite. I will fish with live bait for flounder and drum. I would like to be able to go trolling and bottom fishing offshore. When I get a larger boat I plan to get a small (16 -17 ft) skiff to fish in the canals. The Parker would stay on the lift and I have a small private boat ramp that I would use to put the skiff in and out.

No I have not fished in a full cabin boat and I think for fishing only that the CC would be hard to beat. I like the cabin becuse of the extra protection and I think my wife will feel more comfortable going off shore. My only real experience on a Parker was a 2120 owned by a Client of mine. I showed him around Badin lake a couple of years ago.

what are the reasons for not liking a cabin boat fishfactory? 2120 should work for what you want but if you have the coin get the 23.

I don't like to go offshore 25+ miles without twin motors or a buddy boat. Been stranded out 75 miles with dead motor (on another person's boat) and it's not a situation I want to put my family in - not in a 21 foot boat. Single diesel on a 40 footer is a different story. The 2120 is very seaworthy and will survive most weather situations even with just a sea anchor, BUT I don't want to be out there waiting for Sea Tow with my most valuable cargo aboard.

I am willing to go near shore <20 miles almost anytime as long as everyone can stand the seas. You have to find your own comfort level on this question. I would recommend a 2320 with twin F115's as a minimum.

Back