**** need radar ****

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a Garmin GMR-18 pretty cheap last year, interfaces with my chartplotter. Only use it when I need to (night / fog) and it has worked well so far.

I'll second the GMR 18. Jim @ BOE Marine has some excelent prices and knowledge.

Charlie
Eden, Md

Attachments

• P1010215.JPG
    P1010215.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 287
Hi
I have found Anchor Express to have the lowest prices most of the time, check out their website. I am however partial to Raymarine.

Good Luck

How is the ergonomics or user-friendliness of the Garmin units?

Specifically .. if you change the range on a Garmin ... and then need to adjust the gain? Is there a separate button/knob or do you need to cycle through one or more menus and/or one knob to get to the other function you want to adjust?

That's my #1 gripe against most 'low cost' units, like JRC units. There is ONE large function knob. TURN it to cycle between range, gain, sea clutter, rain clutter, etc ... then PRESS it to activate that function ... and then TURN it to make higher or lower adjustments. It is a royal pain in the arse to use IMHO.

21pilothouse":35ggty9s said:
whats the $ of these radar units??
dave

I checked a week or so ago. The Garmin 18hd can be purchased for under $1100. Don't know about the Furuno.

Dale's point is well taken however. Long after you forgot about the "deal" of a price you will be having to "deal" with ease of use. I do know know that the Garmin units that network with the rader are menu button driven, which walk you through the settings you may want. I kinda like that. Although, I also really like the ease of adjustments on my Furuno fish finder.

I think on radar, you want quick, easy to make adjustments, without having to hit a zillion menu keys.

I saw Empty Pockets Furuno on another thread and it is SWEET. I just don't have any more room for more displays.

I think I'm stuck with the Garmin radar.

TheOtherLine":2hb8a1se said:
I think on radar, you want quick, easy to make adjustments, without having to hit a zillion menu keys.

Agreed! At least from my experience ... note, my radar is ON anytime I am running @ HEADWAY speed or better ... the more you use it, the better off you are.

TheOtherLine":3m8id6gm said:
21pilothouse":3m8id6gm said:
dave

I checked a week or so ago. The Garmin 18hd can be purchased for under $1100. Don't know about the Furuno.

Dale's point is well taken however. Long after you forgot about the "deal" of a price you will be having to "deal" with ease of use. I do know know that the Garmin units that network with the rader are menu button driven, which walk you through the settings you may want. I kinda like that. Although, I also really like the ease of adjustments on my Furuno fish finder.

I saw Empty Pockets Furuno on another thread and it is SWEET. I just don't have any more room for more displays.

who was selling that garmin unit for that $ does this unit plug into your existing garmin unit or does it come with a display

dave

21pilothouse":163t8z2v said:
TheOtherLine":163t8z2v said:
21pilothouse":163t8z2v said:
dave

who was selling that garmin unit for that $ does this unit plug into your existing garmin unit or does it come with a display

dave

Call Jim at BOE marine. http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php

He is very price competitive and if you find an item for less, anywhere, he will match or beat it. Remember to include cost of shipping in "their" price quote.

I'm referring to the radar dome only. It plugs into most Garmin chart plotters that are networkable.

One note... BOE Marine sells all of the popular marine electronics brands. Jim is also familiar with all of them, so he can tell you how user friendly each make and model is before you buy.

Toll free
866-735-5926

I have a new 25 se and I installed the lowrance lcx113 and added the HD lra 1800 radar the other day. You can plug the radar into the existing machine. I think all the manufacturers are having a rebate at this time. I am very pleased with the lowrance as it is easy to use and every thing is built into the 30GB hard drive. I purchased my electronics from marine electronics unlimited. They machines came in the mail.

I got the GMR-18 (not HD) last year for about $700 if I remember right. Got it from a local guy in NJ.

Dale, using the Garmin 3210 as a display for the GMR18, you use the +/- buttons to adjust range, and press one key along the bottom of the screen to bring up the gain control, another for clutter, etc. No weird menu navigation necessary. Also overlays the radar returns on the chart if you desire which is nice, but will work better with a heading sensor installed (which I don't have right now). At slow speeds or sitting still, the returns don't match the chart right since the boat's heading might not be what the GPS thinks it is (drifting sideways for example). I really need to learn how to use it more, but in my limited experience (leaving most settings like gain / clutter set to auto) it always picks out every boat and bouy I need to know about.

Back