New (2022) Suzuki DF300AP overheating at idle

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, we have a new Suzuki engine on our 2002 Parker 2300 DVCC and have just finished our annual trek to Cudjoe Key for a week. Just prior to going, the motor underwent the 20 hour service (valve lash check and oil change?).

Where we stay in the bay has a shoreline of water dredged to a depth of perhaps 8; we literally get on a plane from the dock and about 80 yards down the shore we peel out where the dredge area goes away from shore as much as 30 yards or so. At that point the depth is very shallow ( 1 1/2') bay water for most tide situations.

Since I generally like an engine warmed up before putting load on it, I start early while we loaded folks and gear. On two of the days the Suzuki overheated on us. I can see the temperature in my 3rd party NEMA tack digital display if I select it. The first time I noted something was going on because the idle speed picked up - I asked if anyone messed with the throttle - then a bit later the audible alarm went off and I noted 170 degrees. I powered off and restarted - no issues - my recollection is that the temp was quite a bit lower on restart. It happened another day, I powered it down and restarted, audible gone.

I know that Suzuki goes for low pressure, high volume water systems and perhaps they are more likely to low flow at idle. I know the water temp at our dock was rather tepid. Perhaps I have a flaky temperature sensor. Has anyone else experienced this issue with these motors? Thanks in advance.

Hello, we have a new Suzuki engine on our 2002 Parker 2300 DVCC and have just finished our annual trek to Cudjoe Key for a week. Just prior to going, the motor underwent the 20 hour service (valve lash check and oil change?).

Where we stay in the bay has a shoreline of water dredged to a depth of perhaps 8; we literally get on a plane from the dock and about 80 yards down the shore we peel out where the dredge area goes away from shore as much as 30 yards or so. At that point the depth is very shallow ( 1 1/2') bay water for most tide situations.

Since I generally like an engine warmed up before putting load on it, I start early while we loaded folks and gear. On two of the days the Suzuki overheated on us. I can see the temperature in my 3rd party NEMA tack digital display if I select it. The first time I noted something was going on because the idle speed picked up - I asked if anyone messed with the throttle - then a bit later the audible alarm went off and I noted 170 degrees. I powered off and restarted - no issues - my recollection is that the temp was quite a bit lower on restart. It happened another day, I powered it down and restarted, audible gone.

I know that Suzuki goes for low pressure, high volume water systems and perhaps they are more likely to low flow at idle. I know the water temp at our dock was rather tepid. Perhaps I have a flaky temperature sensor. Has anyone else experienced this issue with these motors? Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you weren’t pumping mud/sand/weed from the shallows?

Back