• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW 2120 SC F150 OR F200?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABRIG005

Reaction score
SOME OF MY FRIENDS ARE SAYING TO BUY THE 200HP YAMAHA.
The boat I already negotiated comes with the F150 4 stroke Yamaha..
Should I get the 200HP 4 stroke? If so how much more you think would be reasonable? Thanks!!

Saw your question in the above forums. It depends on how much you want to spend on the initial investment and fuel, and how fast you want to get to where you are going. I have a 250 on my 2520XL and would like to have had a 300, but bought used and that was what was on her. I have had other 20 - 22 boats with 150's and 200's, and I was happier with the 200hp combo as I didn't have to run it that hard to do 25kts. The 45kts was a blast until I got to the fuel pump, but if you have to worry about it, don't even think about! :)

With the weight of the 2120SC, I think I would seriously entertain the 200 8)

Thanks Matthew...I wonder how much more the dealer will ask.
I negotiated the following
2009 2120 SC
Lowarance 535 GPS/FF/DF
VHF Radio
Aluminum trailer w/stainless upgrade
rocker launcher
44500 includes tax and fees

Im thinking 47500 w/ the 200 hp would be fair.
Thanks Anthony

It's a buyers market. I would start @ 45 and end @ 46 flat. Hope you make out well.

Preface this with I do not own a 2120

I run a 21SE Bought it with a 150. When I repowered the first time I went with a 200. I would never go back.
Things to consider:
1. If you fish offshore and get caught in a bad storm a 200 would be better
2. If you run with a full tank of gas with 4 people, ice and rigged for bear a 200 would be better
3. If you want to get on plane quicker a 200 would be better

With a 200 your boat will not go much faster
Your midrange will be slightly faster
You will burn more fuel
You will never want more power

If you do get the 200 I doubt you will ever say. I wish I had less power and had bought the 150.

I may take it offshore NC to tuna fish..Its a little small for that but maybe on good days...I usually fish with 4 people...Im thinking how much stress will be on the engine after 10 years of use...A 200 will require less work to push the boat. But consume more fuel.... I really tihnk I will go with the 200

The 2120 has a 21º deadrise compared to my 14º.
The 2120 is 800 pounds heavier.
I think you are correct that the motor will last longer.
You will burn more fuel.
The 200 seems like a no brainer to me but I am not that smart.

Difference should be about $3000, but negotiate. I agree with Capt Bill, money well spent.

Thanks Gentlemen....I will have to transfer the plaque in my current boat

"This boat runs on GAS no THANKS"

Going with the 200.

In 2007 before I bought my F150 4s on my 2120, I talked at length to Yamaha and Parker about the 150 vs the 200. Bottom line of all the discussions was that 3 different Yamaha engineers said to go with the 150 as well as my dealer and Parker. Yamaha said that there was a different older technology in the 200 4s and that the 150 would serve me better on the 2120.

The best all said I might get for more top speed with the 200 would be 2 MPH and that the extra 50 pounds hung on the transom of a transom heavy boat would probably always need more fuel than the 150 for the same speed. Like adding 10% more weight to get 5% more speed.

With that advice and the help on this forum, I finally found the perfect prop for my 150 (It is a Yamaha Reliance 14 1/2 X 15 three blade stainless I bought from Shortsmarine.com for $371.25 Yamaha part number 68F-45970-00-00 which was designed for the 150 4s.) and I installed 18 inch wide trim tabs. Now at 5900 RPM with a full load of fuel and just me in the boat I can run about 38 MPH in calm water and that is exactly where I wanted to be.

You might call Yamaha to get yourself up to date on what you are specifically interested in. I find them very helpful and patient.....................Pete

thanks everyone . i went with the 150!! get it in a few weeks!

ABRIG005":38jewtun said:

It probably is not too late to get the F200.

I have never heard of anyone wishing he had less power. If the F200 is too much power you won't notice it or the additional price you have to pay. If the F150 is not enough HP you will feel it every time you go boating. In my view, an F150 is not enough HP for a 20 foot boat. But, it is your money.

Whatever you do, get a prop that lets the motor turn at or near 6000 RPM when you are normally loaded, with the engine trimmed out to a mid point position and in summer time weather. Otherwise, you can buy the F200 when the F150 lets go from being over propped.

Oh, my brother has a 2110 (lighter boat than yours) and I offered to give him my F200. He has a 225 Ficht on the back now. He did not want it because it was less HP than what he has on there now.

ABRIG005":uz1oteb6 said:

It probably is not too late to get the F200.

I have never heard of anyone wishing he had less power. If the F200 is too much power you won't notice it or the additional price you have to pay. If the F150 is not enough HP you will feel it every time you go boating. In my view, an F150 is not enough HP for a 20 foot boat. But, it is your money.

Whatever you do, get a prop that lets the motor turn at or near 6000 RPM when you are normally loaded, with the engine trimmed out to a mid point position and in summer time weather. Otherwise, you can buy the F200 when the F150 lets go from being over propped.

greatcir":28kxxg6n said:
In 2007 before I bought my F150 4s on my 2120, I talked at length to Yamaha and Parker about the 150 vs the 200. Bottom line of all the discussions was that 3 different Yamaha engineers said to go with the 150 as well as my dealer and Parker. Yamaha said that there was a different older technology in the 200 4s and that the 150 would serve me better on the 2120.

The best all said I might get for more top speed with the 200 would be 2 MPH and that the extra 50 pounds hung on the transom of a transom heavy boat would probably always need more fuel than the 150 for the same speed. Like adding 10% more weight to get 5% more speed.

With that advice and the help on this forum, I finally found the perfect prop for my 150 (It is a Yamaha Reliance 14 1/2 X 15 three blade stainless I bought from Shortsmarine.com for $371.25 Yamaha part number 68F-45970-00-00 which was designed for the 150 4s.) and I installed 18 inch wide trim tabs. Now at 5900 RPM with a full load of fuel and just me in the boat I can run about 38 MPH in calm water and that is exactly where I wanted to be.

You might call Yamaha to get yourself up to date on what you are specifically interested in. I find them very helpful and patient.....................Pete

My boat came with this prop,and IMHO the extra $$$ an weight on this transom heavy boat is not worth it.You'll be fine with the 150,spend the extra $$$ on electronics

Greatcir is right on the money !

150 HP is the right call.. I always run 4 guys + gear on my 2120 150hp and she's as efficient as hell.

Don't think about it for another minute it's the right call

good luck with her, the boat is awesome

you guys are awesome for the advice...I bought the the boat with the 150...SHould get it next week...WHAT A DEAL from NORFOLK MARINE in Virginia!!!!! Cant wait to fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys are awesome for the advice...I bought the the boat with the 150...SHould get it next week...WHAT A DEAL from NORFOLK MARINE in Virginia!!!!! Cant wait to fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back