New Batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evetsmd

Reaction score
Got 5 years out of my original Interstate SRM-29's and yesterday I installed a new pair of the same thing.

Yes I had wing nuts for the last 5 years but this time around I decided that Dale's suggestion to use Nylok's and (2) lock washers was the right thing to do. Negative posts have a number of connectors so only used one lock washer on these. Also feel that anything else that needs to get connected to these batteries will require I make the attachment to the larger studs.

Anyway it seems that Parker's cables all use connectors that have a 3/8" hole.....my original batts and the new ones have 5/16" posts. Would have thought Parker would be using the right size connectors. Seems 5/16" on both posts is the standard.

Has anyone else seen the same thing?

Waiting delivery of a new battery charger that should finish this job.

Lots of good battery posts on CP made this small job easy to do.

Thanks to all.

Steve

evetsmd":1iex2qlz said:
Anyway it seems that Parker's cables all use connectors that have a 3/8" hole.....my original batts and the new ones have 5/16" posts. Would have thought Parker would be using the right size connectors. Seems 5/16" on both posts is the standard.

Has anyone else seen the same thing?

The CHANGE you are seeing was mandated by a change in US Law ... too many user were using wingnuts and loose connections caused fires and explosions. Some politician got involved and newer batteries are coming out with the SAME 5/16" post for both Pos and Neg, and packed with nylok nuts.

Now people will have tight battery leads, but many will DESTROY their newer computer-controlled OBs when they hook the battery terminals up backwards ... :roll: this is called "progress" ... your Govt at work.

Look at the terminal on the back of your switch then youll see why they use the larger size connector.

BradV":3q472baa said:
Look at the terminal on the back of your switch then youll see why they use the larger size connector.

Quite an interesting observation Brad! You're right, POS connections usually use the 3/8" size and I bet they'll stay that way ... unless switch makers switch-over to all 5/16" size too.

What a conundrum :roll:

Latest posts

Back