New boat with botched radio install. Thoughts?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Hall

Reaction score
Hey guys, my new 21 SE just arrived and I stopped to take a look and saw the radio mounted on top of the console. I specifically talked to them about flush mounting it, so I'm pretty pissed to say the least. I was willing to install but they said they'd handle so I said sure, better them cutting in than me. Wrong.

No one was there when I swung by so I just left an email to the sales manager.

What would you ask for as a solution? 60kish to live with holes forever is going to eat me up. I'm very OCD on this stuff.

Fuming.
90ecd3fe551b7bec7a56ca9d4f03d8a3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sorry this happened. I am also very particular about my boat, and this sort of stuff infuriates me. I have had enough crappy work done by boat yards, that my for my last install I had printed schematics with exact locations of each component measured out and emailed it to the manager in addition to providing a print copy when I dropped the boat off. He made some comment about it, and I told him that it was evidence for when one of his guys f&$%s up.

As for the install, unless you have a contract stating a flush mount, there isn't a ton you can do. Its idiotic and clearly a crappy job, but legally they are probably in the clear. You probably aren't going to be able to get a new boat or console out of the deal.

To start, I would push them to make this right. They need to remount the radio correctly on the dash, and they need to do it on their dime.

As a fix, I would put a piece of seadek on top of the console (probably with a matching helm pad). I am planning to do this with my boat anyway. I am not a big fan of boats covered in Seadek, but think it looks nice as an accent. The dash is really slick, even with the nonskid, and Seadek will help keep phones and other things you throw up there in place. Try to get them to cover the cost. And if they don't, just fix it yourself and move on. There is too much in life to worry about. Put it behind you and get out on the water... but not before leaving a bunch of bad reviews and finding another service center.

sailphish":1c9f0uk6 said:
Sorry this happened. I am also very particular about my boat, and this sort of stuff infuriates me. I have had enough crappy work done by boat yards, that my for my last install I had printed schematics with exact locations of each component measured out and emailed it to the manager in addition to providing a print copy when I dropped the boat off. He made some comment about it, and I told him that it was evidence for when one of his guys f&$%s up.

As for the install, unless you have a contract stating a flush mount, there isn't a ton you can do. Its idiotic and clearly a crappy job, but legally they are probably in the clear. You probably aren't going to be able to get a new boat or console out of the deal.

To start, I would push them to make this right. They need to remount the radio correctly on the dash, and they need to do it on their dime.

As a fix, I would put a piece of seadek on top of the console (probably with a matching helm pad). I am planning to do this with my boat anyway. I am not a big fan of boats covered in Seadek, but think it looks nice as an accent. The dash is really slick, even with the nonskid, and Seadek will help keep phones and other things you throw up there in place. Try to get them to cover the cost. And if they don't, just fix it yourself and move on. There is too much in life to worry about. Put it behind you and get out on the water... but not before leaving a bunch of bad reviews and finding another service center.
Thanks, and helps trying to put it in perspective, just ruined the moment of seeing boat for the first time.

There are no Seadek installers in my area (MA), or similar. Might need to see if anyone with a recent 21 would get their console scanned for me.

I'm afraid to even ask them to patch the holes in fear they'll screw something else up. I'll get repair work in writing.

Double Hall":2in4leh8 said:
There are no Seadek installers in my area (MA), or similar. Might need to see if anyone with a recent 21 would get their console scanned for me.

I'm afraid to even ask them to patch the holes in fear they'll screw something else up. I'll get repair work in writing.

For the console top, you could easily make the pattern yourself, send it to one of the seadek dealers and have them cut it for you. Its basically just a rectangle with a hole cut in it for the compass. I also don't know if I would trust that the compass is in the exact same location on every boat - good chance its just some rigging guy eyeballing it. The helm mats are standard sizes and cost about $100-150. Install a few small pieces is easy and can be DIY. My friend did his whole boat this way. Try giving Castaway Customs a call.

Those holes can easily be filled and new gel coat applied so you can’t tell it was done. Make them flush mount it and repair the holes they made. JMO.

The fix is Flush mount....Fill the holes and Gellcoat the top of console.

Does that boat have a E-box....not shown in the pix? I would have talked you into installing it there.

Easy to reach......speaker at ear level....and the mic cord not hanging all over the face of console for stuff to get snagged on.

IF...you flush mount it.......Install it low.....Install a am/Fm Fusion radio above. That way the mic cord willnot be hanging over top the Fusion radio face.

But once again.....If it has a E-box ? put both the VHF and Fusion in the Ebox.

shawnee83":6d1iohsr said:
Those holes can easily be filled and new gel coat applied so you can’t tell it was done. Make them flush mount it and repair the holes they made. JMO.

There is a texture up there I'm sure they can't match, but that is going to be my ask and throw dash pad over it.

Brent":17og24zk said:
Tough call. It will work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Talked with dealer today. They are going to reinstall and patch the holes. Swears you wont notice.

Appreciate he is trying... Just hope it comes out great. I'll end up with some sort of dash pad even if on my own, which will help. Saw a generic 9x15 oval for cheap somewhere.

Back