New Electronic Install Completed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evetsmd

Reaction score
After lots of good advice on the forum, this is how the final project turned out.
I decided to go with a Garmin 4210, GSD-22 and P79 xducer. Also planned was to flush mount my VHF and AM/FM radio.

Started on Sunday, the plan was to cut the holes and get all of the tools on the boat. I used a Rotozip....3 hours later, 2 vacs running (lots of dust) and 8 bits used, I finally got the 3 holes cut. The dash is easily 1" thick and about 1 1/2" thick up at the top edge where is is rounded. Going slow I cut 3 very clean good looking holes for the equipment. Shame no one will ever see how nice the cut turned out. The Rotozip was a great tool for this job! I decided to off center mount the chartplotter to leave room on the port side of the dash for other instruments and to make sure I had easy access to the chartplotter controls without havaing to go behind the wheel.

Monday was hardware mount and wiring plus install the P79 cup so the sealant had time to cure. I installed a 12 position Blue Sea fuse block. It uses the ATO/ATC blade fuses. The goal was to eliminate all of the in-line fuses on all of the equipment. All went well.

Tuesday I installed the GPS ant. - I dropped the cabin ceiling light and drilled a 1/4" hole thru the roof. It centered the ant. very nicely and let me run the ant. wiring right into the wiring channels. The GPS 17X network antenna uses a screw on connector. Rather than flush mount the antenna, I had to mount it with a stainless deck mount. This gave room for the connector. CAUTION - you have to cutoff one end of the connectors so that you can feed the wire thru the roof and wiring channels.....double check that you cut off the right end before you install and run the wire! VHF radio and AM/FM/CD flush mount install went off with no problems. Finally I ran the xducer cable and all was ready to fire up!

Wednesday - I put the fluid in the xducer cup and installed the P79. Then I fired everything up and bingo it seems to be working just fine (at the dock). The planned trial run was stopped because of some big storms on the bay late afternoon.

Two pictures attached are dash before and after, I really like how the two radio flush mounts worked out.

Thanks to all for the advice....if anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to share my experience.

Attachments

• Web-Old-Dash.jpg
    Web-Old-Dash.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Web-New-Electronocs-.jpg
    Web-New-Electronocs-.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 243
It had a Garmin 320C Fishfinder and a Garmin 276C GPS. Vhf radio and am/fm are the same.

Nicely done! You are gonna love that 4210. Let me know if you need any help with it. I've spent a lot of time learning the features.

Thanks for everyone's kind words.....so far everything seems to be working......the Garmin is very straight forward and easy to use.

One issue I called Garmin about was the size of the allen wrench that's needed to secure the G17x GPS antenna to the pole mount. The screw is very small and they told me the wrench size is 1.5mm. Off to the hardware store and no one locally seems to have anything that small. So now it's a google to locate one. You would think they would include this wrench in the parts list (at least that is my suggestion to them)

On the initial trial, I did have a problem with the sounder loosing bottom when I was up at about 4500 rpm.......the numerical display showed 1.5 ft and the display itself showed the same thing. Slowed down to see if I could read bottom again and everything was frozen at 1.5ft.

The only solution that got things back working again was to reset the 4210 to factory settings and in PC terms reboot the 4210.....problem of course is you then have to go back and configure everything all over again.

Since this glitch and several trips later all seems to be working OK and the problem has not showed up.

"TheOtherLine" are you using the GSD22 sounder with ur 4210?

Back