New F300 - Making Oil

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoore

Reaction score
I wanted to go ahead and post a fuel dilution issue I have been having on a new parker 2320 with an F/300 that has 67 hrs. I've flagged it with my dealer and spoken with Yamaha directly, but thought this could be a useful thread for future owners and to also hear from others that may have had this issue on a new engine . First off, my T-Stats are in great condition, oil is filled to the middle level and is checked correctly. Boat is propped to hit 5800 rpm with a medium / heavy load and and have been advised I'm propped fine with the SWS II 17. Compression and leak down test have been done and everything looks great. I've done a ton of research and understand it is fuel getting past the rings. The consensus seems to be the rings are not seated and the boat needs to be run harder at WOT for extended periods to help seat the rings. Possible cause is not breaking in engine properly, I followed the manual during the break in period. I have been driving the boat full throttle for long extended runs to try and heat things up, but have had no luck resolving the issue. I first noticed the issue at around 35 hrs when the oil was 1.5" above the top dot on the dipstick . Had Yamaha dealer do an oil change and then again at 57 hrs it was 1" above top dot on dipstick, jet black and smells of fuel. Yamaha advised to give it another 100 hrs and to try and drive the boat above 5000 rpm more regularly ( I try...but it's expensive and conditions do not always allow for this ). They also advised "NOT to do any oil changes for 100 hrs and to only evacuate oil back down between the bottom and top dot on the dipstick". Obviously running fuel diluted oil is concerning and I addressed my concern with Yamaha. They told me not too worry, that their engines are designed to run up to 10% fuel dilution. I expressed that I was not comfortable running my new engine for 100 hours with diluted oil, but they said that they are the ones responsible for my warranty and that I need to do what they are telling me to do. I suppose I have no choice but to follow their instructions and hope for the best. They seem to think the issue will resolve itself. I'm hoping for the best. If anyone else has experienced excessive fuel dilution under 100 hrs and have had the problem go away I would "love" to hear the good news as I am a little frustrated about this issue.

Bmoore":35k73j9b said:
I wanted to go ahead and post a fuel dilution issue I have been having on a new parker 2320 with an F/300 that has 67 hrs. I've flagged it with my dealer and spoken with Yamaha directly, but thought this could be a useful thread for future owners and to also hear from others that may have had this issue and hopefully resolved it. First off, my T-Stats are in great condition, oil is filled to the middle level and is checked correctly. Boat is propped to hit 5800 rpm with a medium / heavy load and and have been advised I'm propped fine with the SWS II 17. Compression and leak down test have been done and everything looks great. I've done a ton of research and understand it is fuel getting past the rings. The consensus seems to be the rings are not seated and the boat needs to be run harder at WOT for extended periods to help seat the rings. Possible cause is not breaking in engine properly, I followed the manual during the break in period. Maybe I should have given her more WOT runs early on, but too late now. I have been driving the boat full throttle for long extended runs to try and heat things up, but have had no luck resolving the issue. I first noticed the issue at around 40 hrs, when the oil was 1.5" above the top dot on the dipstick and then again at 57 hrs it was 1" above top dot on dipstick, jet black and smells of fuel. Yamaha advised to give it another 100 hrs and to try and drive the boat above 5000 rpm more regularly ( I try...but it's expensive and conditions do not always allow for this ). They also advised "NOT to do any oil changes for 100 hrs and to only evacuate oil back down between the bottom and top dot on the dipstick". Obviously this is concerning and I addressed my concern with Yamaha. They told me not too worry, that their engines are designed to run up to 10% fuel dilution. I expressed that I was not comfortable running my new engine for 100 hours with diluted oil, but they said that they are the ones responsible for my warranty and that I need to do what they are telling me to do. I suppose I have no choice but to follow their instructions and hope for the best. They seem to think the issue will resolve itself. I'm hoping for the best. If anyone else has experienced excessive fuel dilution under 100 hrs and have had the problem go away I would "love" to hear the good news as I am a little sick about this issue.
I still think about the thermostats. Easy to replace.

B2

I wish it was just thermostats. We replaced them anyways. If you see a Parker going 45 mph up and down the San Diego coast line, that’s just me trying to stop making oil [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first hand experience with new 300 HP Yamahas and 'making oil'. On my 2016 Parker with a single 300 I followed the Yamaha initial break-in procedure to the letter. Sent the boat back to the dealer for the 20 hour service. At about 50 hours when I checked the oil it was way above full, so much so that I literally thought the dealer had perhaps forgot to drain the original oil before adding new oil. Thinking that I would harm the motor by holding WOT for an extended period, I generally never kept it at WOT for more than ~10 seconds at a time, and generally only 2x per trip. That's when I starting reading up on 'making oil'. The motor continued to make oil through my (brief) ownership. On my 2017 with T-300 I initially followed the Yamaha procedure for the first few hours, then followed the more aggressive Mercury procedure and held WOT not to exceed 5 minutes. After break-in, I routinely ran WOT for 10-15 minutes at least 2x per outing (weather permitting). Motors have 120 hours now heading into the 2nd season and do not make oil. At 62 and having several classic and modern muscle cars these days I don't like to beat up the machinery so it was difficult initially to run the boat hard, I thought I was hurting the motor by running it hard, but IMHO these motors need to and are designed to be run hard in order to fully seat the rings. Plus, at ~60mph, I get to the fish faster. :lol: Good luck

johnkn":1d8ncb70 said:
My first hand experience with new 300 HP Yamahas and 'making oil'. On my 2016 Parker with a single 300 I followed the Yamaha initial break-in procedure to the letter. Sent the boat back to the dealer for the 20 hour service. At about 50 hours when I checked the oil it was way above full, so much so that I literally thought the dealer had perhaps forgot to drain the original oil before adding new oil. Thinking that I would harm the motor by holding WOT for an extended period, I generally never kept it at WOT for more than ~10 seconds at a time, and generally only 2x per trip. That's when I starting reading up on 'making oil'. The motor continued to make oil through my (brief) ownership. On my 2017 with T-300 I initially followed the Yamaha procedure for the first few hours, then followed the more aggressive Mercury procedure and held WOT not to exceed 5 minutes. After break-in, I routinely ran WOT for 10-15 minutes at least 2x per outing (weather permitting). Motors have 120 hours now heading into the 2nd season and do not make oil. At 62 and having several classic and modern muscle cars these days I don't like to beat up the machinery so it was difficult initially to run the boat hard, I thought I was hurting the motor by running it hard, but IMHO these motors need to and are designed to be run hard in order to fully seat the rings. Plus, at ~60mph, I get to the fish faster. [emoji38] Good luck
Was compression and leak down tests performed? Results,? Does your state have lemon laws? M2cw you are getting the run around. Call Yamaha Corporate in Atlanta.

B2

Brent - I think you were referring to my original post. Yes compression / leak down test came back fine. Engine runs great. I have spoken with Yamaha in GA directly and they are aware of the situation. They just said give it another 100 hrs and do not do anymore oil changes for 100 hrs. I think it’s best to just do what they say. Just wanted to mention my fuel dilution issue on the forum to see if others have experienced a similar issue.

Bmoore":zj72evoz said:
Brent - I think you were referring to my original post. Yes compression / leak down test came back fine. Engine runs great. I have spoken with Yamaha in GA directly and they are aware of the situation. They just said give it another 100 hrs and do not do anymore oil changes for 100 hrs. I think it’s best to just do what they say. Just wanted to mention my fuel dilution issue on the forum to see if others have experienced a similar issue.

Ok thanks . Good luck

B2

Bmoore":hj8s62s8 said:

A concern is that I believe you may begin to notice lower oil pressure at idle with the diluted oil. Keep an eye in it. Good luck.

johnkn":1nakr283 said:
Bmoore":1nakr283 said:

A concern is that I believe you may begin to notice lower oil pressure at idle with the diluted oil. Keep an eye in it. Good luck.
I would be calling around for a Yamaha master mechanic or equivalent separate from the dealer. Did you check Hull Truth ?

B2

Yep - working with Yamaha master mechanic. I think I just need follow their request and do what they say for now. Not much else to do. Thanks again and fingers crossed the situation resolves itself [emoji106]

OP, any more updates on this issue ? my new Parker 2320 with F300 coming in July.

I think it would be worth talking to Brad about the break in procedure. If you follow it exactly as it says you may have issues.

vipertom1970":291cm75e said:
OP, any more updates on this issue ? my new Parker 2320 with F300 coming in July.

No updates...just hoping the issue goes away with time. Just follow the manual for the first 2 hrs and then be sure to run it WOT during - hrs 3-10. The manual says not to run WOT for more than 5 minutes during this period, but apparently they want you to run WOT.... just not more the 5 minutes.

Bmoore":3sl8sdde said:
vipertom1970":3sl8sdde said:

No updates...just hoping the issue goes away with time. Just follow the manual for the first 2 hrs and then be sure to run it WOT during - hrs 3-10. The manual says not to run WOT for more than 5 minutes during this period, but apparently they want you to run WOT.... just not more the 5 minutes.

Well, I boke in the F300 engine just like what suggested in the manual, 20hrs and I smell gas in the oil today. WC Marine will do the first oil change Next week.

Hmmmm? Usually the best way to seat rings is by Loading them and not high speed.

To load the rings. You stab the throttle. Bring it to about 4000 and then back down. Repeat, Repeat.
This should have been done in your first 10hr's of break in.....Not looping around.

warthog5":3b6xcvrz said:
Hmmmm? Usually the best way to seat rings is by Loading them and not high speed.

To load the rings. You stab the throttle. Bring it to about 4000 and then back down. Repeat, Repeat.
This should have been done in your first 10hr's of break in.....Not looping around.

I went WOT no more then 4 minutes couple times from the 4thr to 8th hr and none after that.

Back